Annual Town Meeting 2016 question

Forum for posting times and dates of important meetings for the various Town Boards including Planning, Zoning, Conservation, Historical, etc.

Re: Annual Town Meeting 2016 question

Postby GuitarTeacher on Wed May 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Welcome to Tewksbury, where the only way to save/preserve your history is to sacrifice your town. This is embarrassing :(
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby swamper on Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Well, people, TONIGHT, May 4th  is the night of Town Meeting part two....where the various rezoning articles we've been talking about are to be discussed and voted upon. If you are appalled and concerned about the rapid overbuilding that is currently underway already in our Town PLEASE ATTEND TONIGHT @8pm at TMHS and VOTE NO TO REZONE THESE PARCELS. They are Articles 30, 31 AND 34 which I 'just' found out about due to some funky wording as to what it actually meant. It is 3 acres adjacent to Krochmal Farm that the Town owns due to back taxes and the article allows it to be sold for 'surprise!' TRUE affordable housing using those 'in lieu of fees' developers pay to the 'affordable housing trust fund' instead of including them in their own developments. Does it make ANY sense whatsoever to put affordable housing on a narrow winding street with no access to sidewalks or public transportation? This Town continues to be half ass backwards. Don't be placated that 'others' will do it for you as that is what the developers are hoping for. There is STRENGTH IN NUMBERS....please exercise your right to vote to make a difference and PRESERVE OUR (as EXISTING residents already HERE) 'QUALITY OF LIFE!' ....come tonight and VOTE NO. Thank you.
swamper

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 am

it was great to see the people come out. The most critical 2 zoning items were defeated. However, I assume Martel and Ginsburg just keep coming back until they get what they want. I doubt this is over.....
Tewksbury2001

Postby Lil Big Mouth on Thu May 05, 2016 8:05 am

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't........
Lil Big Mouth

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 am

I was surprised that the zoning for Ames Pond Multi Family vote was so close. I voted NO and assumed most there were going to vote NO but that was not the case. They needed 2/3 and were only a few votes shy of that. Why would so many come out and support that proposal? What am I missing?
Tewksbury2001

Postby swamper on Thu May 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Did you see the quite full bleacher section to the left just as you walked in the door of the gym? 'Traditionally' it is where the builders and ALL THEIR CONNECTIONS/BUDDIES congregate so you KNOW the developers were stacking the mtg. and calling in favors to get it pushed through . They have ALWAYS done this so I am not surprised that the vote was so close. If there was ever a time that proved EVERY VOTE COUNTS it was last night. To win by a mere THREE votes and shut down (for now anyway) someone with a LOT of clout in this town and TAKE OUR POWER BACK was to me a glorious feeling and a VALID reason to keep our Open Town Mtg. form of government! :D
swamper

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

does anyone know what happens next on Ames pond? Does he just keep trying to get the zoning changed? Or is it done?
Tewksbury2001

Postby Lil Big Mouth on Fri May 06, 2016 11:59 am

Are you serious?? They sell land for profit to a developer ready and willing to go the 40b route We are only at 9.6% total Town officials will take cash payment in lieu of and number will always be 9.6%!!
Lil Big Mouth

Postby Save Tewksbury Now on Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 am

These developers are vampires! People act like Ginsburg and Martel do so much for this town that we should just let them syphon off our land and turn Tewksbury into Lowell. Some sort of suburban Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me. What happened to building single family homes, you greedy dirtbags?!
Save Tewksbury Now

Postby Rippington on Mon May 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Time for a temporary or permanent moratorium on "in lieu of fees" development. Until we get to 10% at least. How do we get this into the next town meeting? :!:
Rippington

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Mon May 09, 2016 9:18 pm

There was a guy sitting behind me during the town meeting. He could not understand or care about what was going on. All hew knew, is that his boss Ginsberg told him to stand up and vote yes on 25 and then go home. I understand all the benefits of town meeting, but that is sure a drawback of it.
Tewksbury2001

Postby swamper on Mon May 09, 2016 10:18 pm

That will always be representative of 'that' mentality in Town....has been like that for literally YEARS....Tewksbury has always been a 'builders' town. Only the faces and in some cases the names have changed. I can remember YEARS ago when it was a 'different generation' of builders on a particular issue who stacked the meeting after which their vote passed and the bleachers where they all sat completely emptied out including said builder himself. There was still MUCH of Town business to be decided and a friend remarked within earshot that they were leaving before the meeting was done. Straight from the builder's mouth "We got what we came for!' and left....so there you go! The more things change the more they stay the same. Just an FYI....it was stated at Town Mtg. that we are up to 9.6% in affordable units so if they would just get rid of or at least curtail that stupid 'in lieu of' payment we would be over the 10% mandate by now!
swamper

Postby Harry on Tue May 10, 2016 5:23 am

swamper wrote:That will always be representative of 'that' mentality in Town....has been like that for literally YEARS....Tewksbury has always been a 'builders' town. Only the faces and in some cases the names have changed. I can remember YEARS ago when it was a 'different generation' of builders on a particular issue who stacked the meeting after which their vote passed and the bleachers where they all sat completely emptied out including said builder himself. There was still MUCH of Town business to be decided and a friend remarked within earshot that they were leaving before the meeting was done. Straight from the builder's mouth "We got what we came for!' and left....so there you go! The more things change the more they stay the same. Just an FYI....it was stated at Town Mtg. that we are up to 9.6% in affordable units so if they would just get rid of or at least curtail that stupid 'in lieu of' payment we would be over the 10% mandate by now!

Is it not up to the Town to accept or deny the in lieu of payment request? We all know that 40B has done nothing to lower the cost of housing as MA has some of the highest home prices in the country. 40B has hurt the taxpayers of Tewksbury. Tewksbury lives with a very bad law the best they can but the Town needs to support the Taxpayers and refuse to grant the in lieu of requests and let the 10% mandate be met. Tewksbury has more than done their share dealing with a rotten law but at this point enough is enough and no more in lieu of payments should be granted.

Let's reach the 10% and move on please.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Previous

Return to Town Board Issues and Meetings