home school experience

Discussion on starting a home schooling program in town or any other home schooling information.

home school experience

Postby rsp on Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:34 pm

I would like to hear from someone who is considering home schooling their children. I think it would be great to get a small group of children together for Kindergarten level. The private schools are so expensive for this level, and I don't have a lot of confidence in the Tewksbury school system. I must admit I also like the idea of not having to deal with 1/2 of the year in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon(or vice-versa.) I hope this forum can be used to facilitate groups and information from those with experience and those that are considering this as an alternative.
rsp

home school experience

Postby Lee on Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:34 pm

Why don't you have confidence in the school system? If you look at mcas scores and iowa basic skills scores for Tewksbury, we are right in the middle, not the best but not the worst. I am convinced that Tewksbury schools are headed in the right direction with its elementary program.
As voters, many of us have gone to town meeting to support the schools in the last couple of years. The Ryan, the Wynn renovation to name the last two major victories for our children. We as parents need to show up at town meeting and keep in touch with our school committee members and let them know our priorities. As parents and taxpayers we can make a difference in this town.
Our tax rate is low compared to chelmsford and lowell for example. We have a lot of room in the tax rate before we come close to that of some wealthier communities around us. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Good schools usually mean higher taxes for smaller class sizes, updated technology, quality arts and music education along with advanced classes for the gifted and talented child. But they also mean higher property values for homeowners. I truly think that new families coming into town are willing to fork over 400,000+ for new homes here because of the voters track record over the last few years to improve our school system and bring education to a higher level in this town.
I believe, for example, we will have an awesome high school band in the year 2010, when my child is there. To have that, we must invest at the elementary school level to reap the rewards at the high school level.
We must also invest the time at home to help our children succeed in school and I think ultimately, a home school is the ideal place to achieve success, but in reality, most kids in town will not have the luxury of a home-schooling situation. It will take a few more years of work and tax overrides before Tewksbury sees a significant increase in its test scores, but I believe that the families of elementary schoolchildren in town right now, not 10 years ago, are the ones that will help make the Tewksbury school system one to have confidence in.
I believe you will gain more confidence in our system by scheduling a visit at your distict elementary school and look at the children and the facility. Talk to the teachers, find out their credentials.
I know when I went to my childs school before he started kindergarten, to check it out and compare it to other local schools, I was very impressed. The teachers all had advanced degrees, the classrooms were clean, the children were very well behaved and seemed happy to be in school. They had music, gym, art and library/computer time. I was sold.

So, do your homework, get involved, VOTE at town meetings,BE A PRESENCE and you will be contributing to the success of your own child and the entire school community here in Tewksbury.

------------------
Lee

home school experience

Postby Pencil Sharpener on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 pm

I cannot believe a parent whose child is not even in kindergarden has already voiced an opinion of the Tewksbury Public School System.

Sorry if the truth hurts, but it is ignorant, uneducated people like you who go around voicing negative comments, when you have not experienced the greatness, and all that Tewksbury has to offer. Some of the most educated, most talented, and most successful students have come out of Tewksbury.

Speaking from experience...don't knock it until you have tried it.

The BEST experience is the half day kindergarden.....don't home school...send your child and have them experience the socialization and learning experiences that begin in kindergarden in Tewksbury.
Pencil Sharpener

home school experience

Postby Tiff on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 pm

I thought Tewksbury had full days now...2 full days one half??? or something like that.
I have 3 Tewksbury Public School students one of which is at the High School (the other 2 are at the Ryan and Wynn) - It's not a pretty building BUT she is ABSOLUTELY getting a GREAT education!
Do some homework, educate yourself...
Tiff

home school experience

Postby swamper on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Wonder if anyone noticed how "old" this thread is dating back EIGHT years ago. The kids in question would be in middle school by now! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
swamper

home school experience

Postby Tiff on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:26 pm

LOL, I did not notice that!
Tiff

home school experience

Postby Lee on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:15 pm

Actually 2 are at the Ryan now. The oldest is at a Catholic High School.

I cannot speak for the kindergarten schedule at present. We paid for the full day for all the kids and it was fine. Great teachers at the Dewing.
Lee

home school experience

Postby Pencil Sharpener on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:39 am

Either did I..........
Pencil Sharpener

home school experience

Postby rsp on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm

swamper wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Wonder if anyone noticed how "old" this thread is dating back EIGHT years ago. The kids in question would be in middle school by now

When I began this thread in 2000, my husband and I were considering home schooling as an alternative to public school.

We ultimately decided to send the kids to Catholic school and feel today that we made the right decision for us.

They're now in the 3rd and 6th grades and doing well.
rsp

home school experience

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:12 pm

Can you say which school they are at? We are considering it for our kids. Thanks.
Tewksbury2001

home school experience

Postby bythesea on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 am

Tewksbury2001,
My kids go to St. Michael's in Lowell and we love it. Check them out if you have a chance.
bythesea

home school experience

Postby sunnysideup on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:38 am

We have a child that goes to Immaculate Conception School in Lowell and loves it! Check them out at http://www.icslowell.com
sunnysideup

home school experience

Postby cjsmom on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Mine is heading off to Notre Dame in Tyngsboro next year. I'm looking to find out what others in town do in terms of transportation -- I know there's a bus, but normally it doesn't run late enough for kids that do sports. I don't know whether it's still worth paying the bus fee for the morning ride and trying to carpool later ... any thoughts?
cjsmom

home school experience

Postby BeachMom on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 am

My child(ren) also went/go to St. Michael's in Lowell. Very nice school with a pleasant atmosphere. The principal couldn't be nicer. Good luck!
BeachMom

Return to Home Schooling