IS IT ANY WONDER?

Discussions about the the ridiculous tax evaluations alot of homes received during this recession. (Great timing). Also, any discussions about taxes at all.

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby PJJ on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
if they can get their year's work done in approximately half the time you do, who are you to criticize?

I think someone's been getting into the fairy dust. This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen.
PJJ

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby getreal on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Overtime????? When has a teacher worked more than 40 hrs. a week. I think they teach 3 class at the most and get paid for lunchroom duty and filling in if a teacher is absent. Tink again, know argument. Although I agree most teachers don't live in town and don't give a DAMM.
getreal

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby Trublu on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

When has a teacher worked more than 40 hrs. a week.

Keep in mind, while this doesn't quite qualify as "overtime", that a teacher's work doesn't start when the bell rings at 7:25 or end when it rings again at 1:49, or whatever times they are at the various schools. I know teachers who are at work as early as 6:30 at the high school (a whole hour early) and who don't leave until well after 3 (over an hour late).

They spend hours upon hours grading work and making up lesson plans at home (you didn't think that an 84 minute prep block was enough time to get everything done?) and I know teachers who are taking their own time, without this "overtime" pay, to organize events for the school, like the literary festival we're having next year. Tons of work going into that, and nobody's getting paid. How about that.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with wages, overtime, raises, unions. And I know as well as any adult that we're facing a deficit in this town. A rather large one. But take a moment next time before you start railing on the teachers who are not being paid up to par with what they should be in their profession. They deal with a lot more than most people do every day, even if they do get off more time in the summer (during which, by the way, many are working on degrees that they need to continue teaching, some are working second jobs to make ends meet, and many are attending different academic events to prepare for next year).

This thread started about the salaries of the town officials, lets get back to that, shall we?
Trublu

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby Massatwoshits on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 am

This thread is truly an embarrassment to the Tewksbury community. To live in a town where people actively allow education to take a backseat is ridiculous. Did I really read that people don't believe teachers work hard? And because they only work 180 days a year and get all school vacation time off that they should basically shut up and deal with it? Are you people mad?

These are the pedestrian thoughts and mind sets that will forever hold Tewksbury back. Good job, residents. Good job.
Massatwoshits

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby concernedmom on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 am

Mass, I think if you reread the posts there are only a few posters who believe teachers have it made. Please don't lump the rest of the community in with them.

BTW, when was the last time the Herald ran the salaries of all the top American corporations. If you think you don't pay for them you are sadly mistaken.
concernedmom

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby ELLE on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31 am

This is like a bad game of grapevine. The comment was that the FTE of a teacher's salary is a fair compensation for the job. That's all. Nobody said teachers don't work hard or that they aren't valuable. Some other people posted that they don't work that hard as an office worker. I guess if the job they are describing earned ~90K then it would be apples-to-apples but if they are comaring a 40K full time job then it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Others posted that most people in the private sector get overtime. I would counter that most people making 90K in the private sector are salaried and don't receive overtime. The only people I know that make that kind of money and still get overtime are state or municipal employees.
ELLE

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby tinkerbell on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:30 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From L earleri in this thread:I don't really think teacher salaries are that low.

I will give you a "C" in backpedaling......
tinkerbell

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby ELLE on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:09 pm

I don't think teacher salaries are that low = fair compensation for the job. What about that is backpeddling?
ELLE

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby redbarchetta69 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:20 pm

To live in a town where people actively allow education to take a backseat is ridiculous.

Like concernedmom said we all don't act that way. However I don't blame you for thinking that way. No one in town government supports the schools because the only people who do vote are the seniors. Hence why we have an enlarged senior center while the schools are falling apart. You saw what happened to Keith and Mr. Anzuoni when they tried to question the budget. I, and several others were prepared to give more money to the schools, but we were shot down.

The big problem is the people who vote are selfish. The seniors expected the town to pay for the senior center, yet they openly thumb their noses at the schools whenever they need help. Hence why were are in this fiscal mess.
redbarchetta69

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby DOGTIRED on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm

Can any school committee member or teacher give me a reason why the school year is only 180 days. In this day and age, when the rest of the world is passing us by in education, why are we closing the schools at two o'clock in the afternoon and shutting down for two months a year?
DOGTIRED

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby Trublu on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:08 pm

There is a limit to the amount of information one can absorb in one day, and in one school year, dogtired. You could try throwing more information at us, but we just wouldn't be able to comprehend it after 6 or so hours in the classroom. We'd be wasting the teachers' time and the school's resources. Take it from someone who truely enjoys school; at the end of the day I'm more than ready to go home and do something else besides be in a classroom. It's different from someone who is going to work; for the most part they're taking information they already have and are applying it. In school, we're constantly being hit with new information. Life is more than sitting in a classroom and reading textbooks and doing projects; there has to be some time left for other things too. It just wouldn't be realistic if we tried to spend too MUCH time in the classroom.
Trublu

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby Ned Braden on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:33 am

So hows the dropout rate doing this year? I heard that it has been fairly increasing every year.
Ned Braden

IS IT ANY WONDER?

Postby ELLE on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:29 am

Here are the numbers from the DOE for 05-06. Forget the dropout rate, how about the in-school suspension rate, yikes!

School District State
Grade 9-12 Dropout Rate 1.2 1.2 3.3
Attendance Rate 94.3 96.0 94.5
Average # of days absent 10.0 7.1 9.4
In-School Suspension Rate 17.8 4.4 3.4
Out-of-School Suspension Rate 4.6 2.7 5.8
Retention Rate 3.7 2.0 2.5
Graduation Rate 88.0 87.5 79.9
ELLE

Previous

Return to Taxes