Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Discussions about the the ridiculous tax evaluations alot of homes received during this recession. (Great timing). Also, any discussions about taxes at all.

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby shot-n-mist on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:43 am

Bob.. what difference did it make where the seniors sat that night. Someone may have had the good sense to reserve some floor space for them so that they wouldn't have to climb up to the nose bleed seats.

And yes, they horse traded their vote - happens all the time. You didn't like it. I didn't like it. But its been about five years now ... maybe its time to move on.. a good percentage of them now reside in Tewksbury cemetary.

You heard one senior say she couldn't wait to take a walk in the mall. Big deal. There are plenty of seniors out there with heart conditions that walk in a mall daily for exercise. In her mind she had a valid reason to vote for Mills.
shot-n-mist

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby bferrari on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 am

You are right, it didn't matter "where" they sat. It did make it obvious as to how the "senior" voting bloc voted since they were mostly together on the floor.

But the point of this message thread was really about whether it is right to give someone the right to vote on something, when it won't effect their taxes because a particular group has been exempt but will effect negatively, everyone else.

The second point is that this whole "exemption" is being brought out due to the mechanations of a very wealthy town where many of it's residents believe that they are "entitled" to an exclusive expensive highschool and they will manipulate whomever they need to, to get it.
bferrari
Site Admin

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby Lilbigmouth on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 am

Mort,
Lets move forward with that idea.I'll gladly give $1 a pie. Now, if I actually get to "whack" em, I would have no problem increasing my donation! I'd love to add a few more names to the whack em list though. We can only hope.....
Lilbigmouth

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby cozmo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:21 am

I have been to many Town Meetings where certain groups who will benefit by an item flood the meeting and are able to get the item passed. As long we have Town Meeting's, that will never change IMO.
cozmo

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby redbarchetta69 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I have been to many Town Meetings where certain groups who will benefit by an item flood the meeting and are able to get the item passed. As long we have Town Meeting's, that will never change IMO.

That's the flaw of open town meeting. Take the Mall/Senior Center fiasco. During the Mills deal a special section of the floor was reserved for seniors. Others were crammed into the bleachers, cafeteria, and auditorium. The Mills articles so dominated the headlines at the time no one noticed the COA stuck in the Senior Center article that was voted down the year before. After the Mills articles were voted on everyone but the seniors left so they could vote on the Senior Center.

The Senior Center was the carrot to the Mills stick. The $3 million a year that was promised was supposed to pay for it. The mall never came, and we are stuck with the bill.
redbarchetta69

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby bferrari on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 am

All the townies, Selectmen, Finance Board, etc wanted the Mall. So did the Town Manager.

So the mayor would also want this project. If we were a city where your vote is taken away from you and handed over to a mayor, we would be in the same boat.

Taking the vote from your own mouth is the worst thing you could do. Yes, the seniors helped the Mills mall win the day, but even more importantly, voter apathy, for all those that stayed home and didn't vote.
bferrari
Site Admin

Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby U8Coach on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:35 am

And we should never forget that the High School Technology and Furniture override lost by a mere handful of votes (nine?) the first time around.

Parents need to get out and vote. Young adults need to get out and vote. The democratic process is a wonderful institution and every person of age should enjoy it to the fullest during their lifetime - including running for office.

When we speak of apathy in the past, Selectmen Ryan and Selissen ran unopposed two years ago. Sitar III and Consaul - same. Thankfully we see the light and now have many candidates to choose from. I hope this is not a symbol of people paying attention because times are tough but that this same attitude also carries through into the years ahead.
U8Coach

Re: Fooling with Prop 2 1/2

Postby sean_czarniecki on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 am

From today's Lowell Sun:

Mass. GOP charges House Dems with Prop. 2 1/2 end run
The Lowell Sun
Updated: 04/22/2010 03:00:36 PM EDT

By STEVE LeBLANC

Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- Massachusetts Republicans and anti-tax activists are charging House Democratic leaders with attempting an end run around Proposition 2 1/2, which limits property tax hikes.

Activists point to a measure included in a pending municipal relief bill that would allow cities and towns to raise taxes above the limit set by Prop 2 1/2 to replenish accounts used to pay property tax abatements.

Barbara Anderson of the group Citizens for Limited Taxation called the measure an "assault" on Prop 2 1/2 that could raise property taxes by hundreds of millions of dollars.

House Ways and Means Chairman Charles Murphy says the measure bars communities from using the fund for anything other than tax abatements.

Prop 2 1/2 limits communities from raising property taxes by more than 2 1/2 percent a year without voter approval.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/c ... z0lv3RSLJz
sean_czarniecki

Previous

Return to Taxes