Sewer Betterment Fee - Billed Too Soon?

Discussions about the the ridiculous tax evaluations alot of homes received during this recession. (Great timing). Also, any discussions about taxes at all.

Sewer Betterment Fee - Billed Too Soon?

Postby ELLE2 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 am

Did anyone else get a betterment invoice sooner than they expected? I just paid $600 in February 2009 and received a like bill in the mail due 9/1/2009. I plan to call next week but was wondering if anyone knew why they were billing before 12 months has past. I thought this bill was once per year. Any info would be appreciated.
ELLE2

Re: Sewer Betterment Fee - Billed Too Soon?

Postby Lilbigmouth on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:48 am

Jerry,
I assume you are a supporter of the "deduct" meters that are being offered. Do you realize how much stealing of water at the reduced rates is going to occur. Did anybody ask our neighboring towns how it goes over there. Call the local town halls and get their opinion. I think you will find one town stopped it and a few others will tell you don't do it.
Lilbigmouth

Postby sean_czarniecki on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 am

Elle - that happened my first year as well. I now get them annually due in September.

Lilbigmouth - In the end, pressure from residents made the deduct meters happen. I don't think there were many residents opposed to them, even though some Selectmen and the Town Manager were.
sean_czarniecki

Postby cozmo on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:57 am

Has anyone on here had one of the new deduct meters installed? I was wondering what the total cost would be including the permit's the Plumber and all.
cozmo

Postby ELLE2 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Through conversations I was estimating $1000 for the deduct meter, but I think that is more than what it will cost. As for having them, I plan to hook up to sewer this fall and I'm only doing it because of the deduct meter. I have a pool and sprinklers and even though I'm conservative on my water usage, I have a problem with paying sewer rates for water not going into the sewer. As for abuses, the deduct meters are only valid from April to October. I'm sure if someones inside usage changed dramatically in that period from the October to April period, abuse would be obvious and can be dealt with. Thanks for the responses all, I guess you saved me a phone call!
ELLE2

Postby Lilbigmouth on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Elle2,
just like now there are families with $50 water and sewer bills and the sewer police chase them right down! NOT! When you sign up for sewer go over some of the public records and you would be shocked
Lilbigmouth

Postby Zeebamom on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 pm

What are people doing to get such low bills? Are they hooking up sprinklers illegally? If so, does the building insp (or whoever checks these things) get called in to check the connections that are being made by the sprinkler people or is that something that does not need a permit? If not, why not. Also, wouldn't it make sense that someone checks to seel that everyone on sewer is paying a reasonable bill and if not investigate why. I just get so angry to hear things like this when our services (fire and schools) are being cut.
Zeebamom

Postby cozmo on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Elle my last 6 month water bill was $1100. Yes, I have a sprinkler system but didn't really use it that much during the 6 months. In Billerica there is no limit on the deduct meters and you don't have to put something on your sprinkler system to shut it off when it rains, although I already have one. I always wonder when I go by some of the buildings owned by the town why they don't have a system to shut the sprinklers off when it rains but now they are requiring anyone who gets a deduct meter to have one. Possibly Jerry can answer this.
cozmo

Postby sean_czarniecki on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:39 am

Jerry - I made sure to say "some" Selectmen, because I was totally aware that "some" did not like the idea.
sean_czarniecki

Postby Chasnbos on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:15 pm

If you don't want to pay add'l 16% - send an e-mail to the address below.
Chelmsford fighting National Grid's plans for rate hike
By Rita Savard, rsavard@lowellsun.com
Updated: 07/15/2009 06:35:42 AM EDT

CHELMSFORD -- With the economy already taking a big bite out of personal expenses, town officials say the last thing taxpayers need is another shock to the wallet in their electric bills.

Slamming National Grid's plan to impose a 16 percent electrical rate hike starting Jan. 1, the Board of Selectmen sent a letter yesterday urging the state Department of Public Utilities to reject the request.

National Grid, the state's largest electric utility with 1.2 million customers, wants to increase rates and use the $111 million in additional revenue to upgrade its electrical distribution system and cover other expenses, including millions of dollars in unpaid customers' bills. The company said a higher rate would increase bills by about 5.5 percent or $4.25 a month for a typical household that uses around 500 kilowatt hours of electricity.

Calling a 16 percent hike too steep for ratepayers already struggling to meet monthly expenses, selectmen voted unanimously Monday night to join Attorney General Martha Coakley in fighting the move. Members of the board also blasted the utility giant for proposing to issue an 11 percent return rate for company shareholders.

"They should be ashamed of themselves," said Selectman Eric Dahlberg. "They're living in their own world, because in the world I'm living in nobody else is seeing an 11 percent return on anything, including their paychecks."

Coakley, who testified against the rate hike, argued that such an increase would be "excessive and harmful," to ratepayers.
But representatives for National Grid say the rate hike is the first significant one in 14 years.

"This filing is absolutely critical to our ability to continue to upgrade and replace aging infrastructure and provide safe, reliable service while simultaneously responding to and supporting the progressive energy policies outlines in the Commonwealth's Green Communities Act," President Tom King said in a written statement.

As part of the proposed increase, National Grid would institute a separate charge to pay for pensions and other post retirement costs, and the company would recoup $30 million in expenses related to restoring service after the December ice storm.

National Grid's parent company, National Grid PLC, in London reported that operating profits in its U.S. electricity distribution and generating arm fell 20 percent to $403 million last fiscal year, largely due to fixing damage and outages created by storms, including the ice storm that left many New England towns and cities paralyzed for days last December.

Over the past week, DPU has hosted a series of public hearings on the issue. But turnout has been very low, said Tim Shelvin, executive director of DPU.

Residents have until July 30 to send comments to DPU on the issue. To date, the DPU has received just 13 letters or e-mails from residential consumers, seven from legislators, and five from municipal boards including Chelmsford.

"Our taxpayers have seen significant increases in all their bills at a time when money is tight for everyone," said Selectmen Chairwoman Clare Jeannotte. "To look for an 11 percent return on equity is excessive for a utility company in this day and age."

Comments to DPU may be submitted by mail to 1 South Station, Boston, MA 02108, or by e-mail to dpu.efiling@state.ma.us, or,
carol.pieper@state.ma.us.
Chasnbos

Return to Taxes