Pay your fair share like the rest of us!

Discussions about the the ridiculous tax evaluations alot of homes received during this recession. (Great timing). Also, any discussions about taxes at all.

Pay your fair share like the rest of us!

Postby swamper on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:19 am

Tewksbury eatery in tax trouble
By Alexandra Mayer-Hohdahl, amayer-hohdahl@lowellsun.com
Updated: 12/03/2009 06:41:26 AM EST

TEWKSBURY -- A popular Main Street restaurant and lounge is in trouble again for nonpayment of taxes.

And this time, selectmen say they mean business.

"Mavericks has made a mockery of what this board stands for and the tax system of Tewksbury," Selectman David Gay said this week. "It's ludicrous."

The board has scheduled a hearing for its meeting of Dec. 15 on whether the restaurant's licenses for alcohol, amusement devices and entertainment should be revoked.

Mavericks has been in default on its property taxes, water bills and sewer bills for months. As of Nov. 25, it owed the town more than $27,000 in taxes alone.

Under a repayment agreement with the town, Mavericks was to make a $3,000 payment on its back taxes by Nov. 15 and settle about $7,000 in outstanding water and sewer bills by Dec. 1.

The first payment wasn't made until Nov. 30, and the water and sewer money has yet to materialize, Town Counsel Charles Zaroulis told selectmen Tuesday.

"They have shown no due diligence," Selectman Anne Marie Stronach said. "It's not fair to the other businesses in town that are operating within the time frames and restrictions they are responsible for."

The executed agreement calls for an automatic revocation if Mavericks is in breach. It also, however, provides for the owners to be notified of any revocation hearing so they can appeal the selectmen's decision in the courts, if they wish.

The restaurant, which opened in 2000, is run by Richard and Renee Proctor. They did not return a call seeking comment yesterday.

Selectmen will also review the cases of two other delinquent commercial taxpayers in January.

Kevin and Margaret Sullivan, who own the Andover Street building that is home to the River Road Cafe and other businesses, owed the town just under $59,000 in back taxes as of Nov. 25.

Selectmen scheduled revocation hearings on Jan. 12 for the businesses it licenses at that location, including the River Road Cafe, a White Hen Pantry convenience store and the Chopsticks Chinese restaurant.

Also on Jan. 12, the board is scheduled to hold a revocation hearing for Scooter Pie LLC, which owns the Main Street building that houses a Dandi-Lyons ice cream and flower shop.

The company, which holds a Tewksbury common victualler's license, owes the town more than $22,000 in back taxes.
swamper

Re: Pay your fair share like the rest of us!

Postby cozmo on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 am

"Mavericks has made a mockery of what this board stands for and the tax system of Tewksbury," Selectman David Gay said this week. "It's ludicrous."

It seems every year it's the same old story yet these places remain open. I could never figure out how the powers that be keep letting this happen. Possibly Selectman Gay has seen enough of this.
cozmo

Postby taxman on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Mavericks' isn't the only one. Here are some more tax slackers from

MA Department of Revenue
http://dorapps.dor.state.ma.us/disclosure/result.asp

Just enter "Tewksbury" with no names.

Individuals
Home › Individuals and Families › Help & Resources › Tax Delinquents List › Public Disclosure ›
Public Disclosure Search Result
The search results listed below may be sorted by name, amount, city or state by clicking on the column header.

NAMEAMOUNT CITY STATE
TKD CORP $153,732 TEWKSBURY MA
KNOCKOUT FITNESS INC $96,158 TEWKSBURY MA
HYNES , SCOTT $71,066 TEWKSBURY MA
COLBERT , MARK $67,514 TEWKSBURY MA
NORTHMEADOW HEALTH & RACQUET $54,579 TEWKSBURY MA
DUBY , BRYAN $51,717 TEWKSBURY MA
SEMBLER , ALLEN $43,782 TEWKSBURY MA
HODGES JR , JOHN $25,198 TEWKSBURY MA

Businesses
Home › Individuals and Families › Help & Resources › Tax Delinquents List › Public Disclosure ›
Public Disclosure Search Result
The search results listed below may be sorted by name, amount, city or state by clicking on the column header.

NAME AMOUNT CITY STATE
taxman

Postby Chasnbos on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Tax break in Tewksbury

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_14076866

Ain't going to happen to shift more on the commerical base
Chasnbos

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:14 pm

The problem is, if you shut them down you get nothing. If you try to work it out with them hopefully you get paid....
Tewksbury2001

Postby cozmo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:23 am

Some of these places of business will never pay until the Town gives them a deadline just as they did with the Maverick.
cozmo

Postby Chasnbos on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:09 am

Tewksbury Stable -
http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_14080139

Looks like the school project could sink the town's credit rating. I don't know if taxpayer have the stomach to add $250.00 a year to their tax bill for 20yrs with the poor fiscal climate facing this town either. What an enigma.
Chasnbos

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:46 pm

$250 per year for a new school is well worth it. If that school is not built, then home values in this town will continue to fall. Everyone in the town needs to get behind the school project.
Tewksbury2001

Postby amc800 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 pm

$250 for 20 years works out to $5,000. Think about how much your house value will drop if your schools are terrible. I think i read that the average home owner changes home about every 7 years. That means the majority of people will need to sell their home within the next 20 years. I can guarantee you that terrible schools will cost you more than $5,000 in home value.
amc800

Postby Chasnbos on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm

No one really talking about the cost my understanding it could be between 70-100m range plus contingency allowances of 10-15% with a 56% reimbursement rate. Figure on $6.00 per million for taxpaye for 20 years after the reimbursement. My understanding they get the go ahead on 1/26. Then the town has 120 days to pass the warrant and debt exclusion. I hope it passes.
Chasnbos

Postby Harry on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 pm

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the tax rate has been delayed due to the Town having a rather large deficit and until it's exact number is known the tax rate can't be set. Trust me, whatever shift there is it will be minimum.

My own personal view is that Tewksbury is in for a very difficult fiscal era and unless the State bails us out( like the Lawrences of the world) the you know what is going to hit the fan.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby Farscape on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:50 pm

This is disgusting. Luckily I don't do business with any of these companies. If I didn't pay my taxes I'd be in foreclosure.

NAMEAMOUNT CITY STATE
HYNES , SCOTT $71,066 TEWKSBURY MA
COLBERT , MARK $67,514 TEWKSBURY MA
DUBY , BRYAN $51,717 TEWKSBURY MA
SEMBLER , ALLEN $43,782 TEWKSBURY MA
HODGES JR , JOHN $25,198 TEWKSBURY MA
Farscape

Return to Taxes