Could this school really close?

This forum is for discussion of the Trahan School and related issues.

Postby TRUE-or-FALSE? U Tell me? on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:44 pm

Rumor has it that there's a possibility of closing Trahan and doubling up on classes town wide, but I hear its very hush hush..so wondering if I'm hearing the truth or false side of a potential cost cutting measure?

I'm 'told' classes townwide (lower elementary) would jump to 30+ (which is unfortunately legal) and Trahan would close its doors. Haven't seen current class counts in a hwile, but I'm guessing that even if this were a potential solution (as re-districting was...another board another day) BUT....

Are they considering impact of Ames Hill? JD's proposed 28 units? Do the Math...all North Street/Trahan district...those actual numbers could be closer to 35!

I know you're all busy holiday shopping but let your guard down and ?????
TRUE-or-FALSE? U Tell me?

Postby crystal on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:46 am

Its funny you should mention that. I heard the same rumor also. It is crazy to think they would do that with all of the Ames Hill children coming. We need to be adding schools rather than closing them!
crystal

Postby keb70 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:36 am

Call Christine McGrath!
keb70

Postby busybody on Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:49 pm

That's odd. Children in my neighborhood were removed from the North Street and sent to Trahan to reduce overcrowding. My youngest child will start school in the fall. Where will she be going to school?
busybody

Postby rnmom9496 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:59 pm

You know with McGrath at the helm unfortunately nothing would surprise me. Next to incompetent in the dictionary should be her picture. She ASSURED redistricted parents at meetings that they wouldn't be targeted again. Then she tried to say she understood how we felt because her church closed, and went on to say,(shoving it higher) that kids are resiliant. I know a parent at one of those meetings was verbally assured by McGrath herself that the areas redistricted would not be targeted again. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Now that I'm calmer...I heard they're supposed to be refurbing the schools. Do with that what u will.
rnmom9496

Postby Tiny Dancer on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:42 pm

Heard the same thing, here at the North Street. Boy will there be a lot of angry parents whose kids were shuffled all around. You know pull kids from one school to put them in another and then bring kids in to fill their original spots. Good planning Tewksbury!!! Now you will shuffle them again!!! What about the development off South Street/Brown Street? Not sure who is building that one. Where will those kids go?
Tiny Dancer

Postby cjsmom on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:20 am

"You know with McGrath at the helm unfortunately nothing would surprise me."

What are you basing that on? Tewksbury spends much less per student than comparable towns in this area, and yet our students do very well on tests and get into some great colleges. The woman has to deal with hysterical parents (like some on this board who get their panties in knots over baseless rumors) on one hand, the teachers union on the other, and the moron selectmen on yet another. Given what she has to work with in this town, I think Christine McGrath does a great job.
null
cjsmom

Postby Pats Fan on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:48 am

So is the Trahan closing or not?
Pats Fan

Postby GymMom on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:21 pm

Wow! Someone shared this "rumor" with me this afternoon!
IMO this makes absolutely no sense. I "heard" that last year's redistricting was the first of three...
Funny. Yesterday, my husband and I were just discussing the redistricting in this town and it occurred to me: wouldn't Andrea Drive (off Rogers Street) have been a perfect location for another elementary school? Regardless of what many citizens might feel, I think another elementary school in Tewksbury is necessary and do-able with the right town management and it would alleviate the influx of families moving in to these new developments.
Taxes continue to increase. Sidewalks are NOT a priority in our town... Where's the money going?
Doesn't our town have a Master Plan?
GymMom

Postby tjlmom2005 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:38 am

I couldnt agree with you more about another elementary school. While my son's teacher at the Heath Brook have been nothing but wonderful, they are definitley "overwhelmed" with the large class size.
tjlmom2005

Postby sean_czarniecki on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GymMom:
Taxes continue to increase. Sidewalks are NOT a priority in our town... Where's the money going?
Doesn't our town have a Master Plan?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The money is going to salaries, health care costs, and pensions. These items are growing at a rate higher than 2.5% per year, yet that is what our tax increases are limited to (this is the basic discussion - property value increases play a part as well). Therefore, there will continue to be cuts unless something is done about limiting those items....or we vote in a tax override.
sean_czarniecki

Postby drvmusic on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rivergirl:
Recent surveys done suggest otherwise. Have you taken a walk down Shawsheen or East street lately?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you walk down Shawsheen (at least on the Heath Brook side)? The sidewalks aren't plowed!
drvmusic

Postby rnmom9496 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Cjsmom, I'd like to address each point of your statement individually so bear with me at the risk I may sound like my panties are bunched:

Tewksbury spends much less per student than comparable towns in this area, and yet our students do very well on tests and get into some great colleges.

Don't you think that credit for that should go to the students, teachers and parents? I don't think McGrath deserves the credit. The teachers, students and parents do for persevering and continuing to shine while this town continues to cut them off at the ankles.(we may be at knee level by now) Talk to any parent who gets their child to school 30-40 mins early for extra help or who have had to spend big $$$ for tutors, they won't tell you it's McGrath who deserves the credit.

The woman has to deal with hysterical parents...on one hand, the teachers union on the other, and the moron selectmen on yet another.

She also gets paid extremely well for it. The way our kids are jerked around do you blame some parents for being p'oed? I have no sympathy for her having to deal with the teachers union (teachers are grossly underpaid...don't get me started), or the selectmen, if she spent any time in a classroom at any grade she's well prepared to deal with them.

(...who get thier panites in knots over basless rumors)

Was your child redistricted, because that too started as a "baseless rumor". Did you have to deal with a child who spent the last 2 months of school last year crying because he/she wouldn't be enjoying 4th celebrations with the friends they've come to know over the 4 years spent at that school?? Or how about a 1st grade child new to town that adjusted extrememly well to the new school with a lot of friends now has to adjust to another 'new' school and is having a lot of difficulty making friends and cries about not liking school anymore?? I think you'd be singing a different tune had you to endure any of these experiences. These are just 2 I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.

[img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
rnmom9496

Postby rivergirl on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GymMom:
[Sidewalks are NOT a priority in our town... [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recent surveys done suggest otherwise. Have you taken a walk down Shawsheen or East street lately?
rivergirl

Postby Rabib on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:02 am

Teachers grossly underpaid? Hmmm, let's see... work 9 months a year, work 5 hours a day, and only need 180 days worked? Get every holiday off, plus snow days. Get health coverage, education payments, and a pension.
How does this compare to the general working population?
I never remember teachers leaving the school dept. for the "dreaded private sector", where performance is measured.
Rabib

Next

Return to Trahan School