Could this school really close?

This forum is for discussion of the Trahan School and related issues.

Postby marine0311 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:42 am

Hmmmm.... I never mentioned anything about calling a kid "stupid", so please don't put words in my mouth. And, let's face it, school is not for everyone. And one of the reasons why is that it's boring. I've spent 18 years in school, and even in my late 20's most of my classes at the Masters Level were boring. But someone somewhere says that school is important and therefore necessary. After the 6th grade, there should be more choices for students that satisfy their interests. Keep them motivated and give them an idea of what they want to do with their lives. What irks me is that a lot of high school kids should be at one of the area vocational schools but those vocational schools don't have to accept them for whatever reason. I don't understand how someone can pay taxes and accept their son or daughter not being admitted to a school they fund. How they get away with it boggles my mind. Try telling that to a parent at a public high school. Let's face it, schools need a serious overhaul. Times have changed and schools have not changed with them. It's not the teachers, principals, superintendants, or the custodians. It starts from the top and when I say top, you know who I mean. But until then, kids have to suck it up like the rest of us did.
marine0311

Postby rnmom9496 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:18 pm

I didn't mean to put words into your mouth. I completly agree with you that a 'conventional' high school isn't for everyone, and that vocational schools are terrific especially for the teen who knows they won't attend college. "no child left behind" is being run backwards. If anything schools in this country have gotten worse, not better, despite the efforts of parents, teachers, even superintendents, and school boards. We better start worrying about our problems here on our own soil, God forbid at the rate this country's going we won't be the super power that bails these other countries out.
rnmom9496

Postby Mary Tiernan on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Is there any new info on the Trahan rumor.
Mary Tiernan

Postby drfu100 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
School Committee Chairman Dennis Peterson had told The Sun in November that the committee would be looking at several options to deal with the proposed cut, including school closings, staff reductions and even an override, which would increase Tewksbury's tax levy above the level permitted by Proposition 2 1/2.

I was wondering if the above was tied to the Trahan closing rumor... [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
drfu100

Postby Jaynespeak on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 pm

I had the same thought when I read that earlier, but I just don't see how they could close a school. Where would they put the kids? there are too many to reroute all over town and distribute among the other classes.
Jaynespeak

Postby rnmom9496 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:27 am

Jaynespeak, just for the sake of discussion, this is the thought that frightened me: Using any grade, I thought that there'd be 4 classes in each the Dewing(I'm guessing the Dewing, I've heard they have 5 per grade) and Heath Brook, and 3 each in the North st and Trahan for a grand total of 14 classrooms. Conservatively, (and for the sake of easy math) figure 25 students currently in each of the 14 classes(again grade of your choosing), that's a grand total of 350. Again, conservatively, closing a school with 3 classes, would leave 11 classrooms to put those same 350 children in, for an estimated class size of 32(it was 31.8, I rounded). We all know as a fact that the majority of classes in any grade in any school is more than 25, some have 27 some have 30 or 35. Even conservatively, the numbers make me wince.
rnmom9496

Previous

Return to Trahan School