Kindergarten schedule

This forum is for discussion of the Trahan School and related issues.

Kindergarten schedule

Postby band09guitarist on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:41 am

This is something I don't get..

Why can't we stick with five days a week, one half of the kids come in for a half day in the morning, the other half in the afternoon, and switch off in the middle of the year. It worked out fine for me and my sisters and everybody else I know. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, I know that for half of the week one teacher goes to the.. Heathbrook, I believe? And then the other half she goes to the Trahan, and the other way around. But that just shows that apparently education isn't <I>that</I> important to the town that they can't go out and find some teachers for kindergarten. Use the tax money for useful things, like that, and other things as well, like fixing the disgustingly desecrated roads and other numerous aspects of the town, like telephone poles.

Anyways.. If you keep the kids for six hours a day for five days a week, it's too head on for them to "get into the groove". It's not like what adults, and even teenagers, at that, can do, which is adjust to something big right away because we've already been subjected to that kind of thing. Like if somebody gets promoted in a job, their entire schedule and what they do may change dramatically, but they have a concept of what is going to happen, so it's not necessary a giant problem. With little five and six year olds, they have <I>never</I> had to go from one thing and then RIGHT into something COMPLETELY new and different, they haven't been subjected to this before. Think about it, not only is it a completely new concept they have never delved into before, but they're also only five and six, and get into the mind of a five and six year old, they won't understand such a big change (understand is the wrong word, but you know what I'm saying?).

Not only that, but if you've noticed, even after the THREE hour days, Kindergarteners are tired, it shows how much of a jump it is. If you go all the way to SIX hours right away, it'll be much more tiresome, they'll be falling asleep in school (wasn't there even a naptime when there was a three hour day?) and they won't have the desire to go and learn and enjoy themselves. I remember I looked forward to Kindergarten when I was in it, and the slow adjustment helped me get prepared for the six hour days for first grade and beyond. (Also, half of the year in the morning, the other half in the afternoon helped me get o know what the different times of day in school were like, so I'd have been through both parts and could just put them together, you know?)

And what I'm arguing about kind of isn't even what's going on. Two full days and then a half day doesn't help them at all. It's like BIG JUMP, BIG JUMP, less time? It shows no real consistancy through the week, ESPECIALLY if they end up switching off to the other half of the week for the second half of the year. (Do they do that?)

I fear that these Kindergarteners will hate going to school, and in turn will not have the desire to learn, and will just try to get through school so they can be done. I personally think this is a bad move and it will only cause more problems. (It really holds a greater problem with, instead of adding another half of day to the day they already have, they add another half of the week to it in first grade. It's the same amount of time added, but doubling what you do to the week seems more overwhelming than doubling what you do to the day, which is an easier transition.

What I'd like to know is why are the other teachers gone? For whatever reason, I would like to also know why they didn't go out seeking new teachers or try harder at it?

Pardon me for saying this, but this town has really gone to shit. (Even moreso than it already was..!)
band09guitarist

Kindergarten schedule

Postby band09guitarist on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:43 pm

Yes, I even do now occaisionally. Heh. Very rarely, though, because that's only when I get my work done early, and if I'm tired. And If I'm tired it's usually my fault because I didn't get enough sleep. Heh.

But if you were trying to make a point against me, yeah, that happens. However, Kindergarteners, little five and six year olds, will have much less energy than kids older than them, so they need a gradual adjustment or they'll simply be going through the old method for less days (three different days) because they'll fall asleep when they're just completely done and the teachers know it, so it's pointless, so they don't actually get a full day's education. Once again, they're worse off with the new method, and this is another example as to why.
band09guitarist

Kindergarten schedule

Postby angel68 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:43 am

I remember putting my head ont eh desk for quicky naptimes in elementary school....up until the 5th grade I'm almost positive!
angel68

Kindergarten schedule

Postby Cheryl on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Well, just to repeat myself. I disagree. My son loves the current schedule. He's never exhausted when he comes home. If anything he's filled with energy and can't wait to tell me all the fun he had at school. I would be terrificly annoyed if he had to switch from one half of the day to the other half of the day in the middle of the year. I love the consistency of this schedule and that it exposes him to the full days on a partial week basis. I truly believe it will help him out next year.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Kindergarten schedule

Postby PattiDe on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 pm

I just received the kindegarten info in the mail and I have a question--does anyone know if there was a one day extended day program offered this year (for the 1/2 day only)? I thought I had heard this before, but according to the paperwork it appears to be a full week program only.
I've found it interesting reading this debate about schedules. My older children all went to kindegarten on the 5 1/2day schedule and I can remember wishing they would change to the 2 1/2 day schedule that my neighbor's son did at Abundant Life in Wilmington. I can tell you from experience that while it did help my kids to have a consistent schedule, I found the short day (2 1/2 hours) to be ridiculous. Kindegartners are expected to perform at much higher standards than we did as kids--they (hopefully) leave kindegarten reading, writing and doing simple math. It is no longer the social time it use to be and I remember thinking how sad it was that they had to rush from lesson to lesson with little down time, because there was so much to accomplish in a short time. They still had gym, music and library every week, so 3 days were even more limited in available time,and I, for one, hated when they switched from morning to afternoons--my kids had a hard time with the concept of having to stop whatever they were doing to get ready for school--it was a real challenge in the good weather to get them in the frame of mind for school. I think the bottom line to this whole schedule debate is that there really is no one schedule that will fit everyone of the 400 or so kindegartners we have each year and most kids will adapt to whatever the schedule is.
Just my opinion--in the meantime, I'm enjoying my last year of having a little one at home--how quickly they grow up!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
PattiDe

Kindergarten schedule

Postby clifford on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 am

They do have the one day extended day program for Mondays now.
clifford

Kindergarten schedule

Postby drfu100 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:30 am

Also, they don't advertise the full Monday at all so if you want it, be sure to ask for it. I thought they opted to drop it for the current year because it wasn't mentioned in any of the information I had received.
drfu100

Kindergarten schedule

Postby busybody on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 am

My daughter attends the before school program on Monday. It is $25.00 a week.
busybody

Kindergarten schedule

Postby PattiDe on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I was hoping to have her attend 3 full days--let's hope it is still available next year!
PattiDe

Kindergarten schedule

Postby jules2 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:56 pm

I called today to ask about the extended Monday and was told that information will be available at Kindergarten sign-ups at the elementary schools and at the extended day informational meeting on 2/1. If your child is in a town preschool you should have rec'd the flier. I have no idea if the price will still be $25 or if it will increase.
jules2

Previous

Return to Trahan School