Kindergarten schedule

This forum is for discussion of the Trahan School and related issues.

Kindergarten schedule

Postby Cheryl on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:26 am

I can't say that I agree. My son is in kindergarten and the 2 1/2 days are working very well for him. He was a little tired after the full days at first, but he's used to it now and loves it. I think he's getting more out of a full day than he would out of 3 hours of class. And he's loving the experience. I'm very confident that he'll do just fine with 5 full days next year. I don't think I'd be so confident if he was doing only half days now.

Just my opinion,
Cheryl
Cheryl

Kindergarten schedule

Postby 12345 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:59 am

Obviously no one thing will work for all kids, each child is different. All I'm saying is that I'd rather get them into the routine 5 days a week, my daughter asks every day..."is today a school day?"

Kindergarten schedule

Postby believer on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:01 pm

At this point anything is better than 2 full
days and one 1/2 day, It is the craziest schedule - people I know from other towns think I am lying when I tell them the kindergarten schedule in Tewksbury.
Doesn't matter if its half days or full days as long as it is 5 days.
believer

Kindergarten schedule

Postby 12345 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree!!!!!!!!

Kindergarten schedule

Postby emma on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:02 pm

The Groton-Dunstable school system has the same Kindergarten schedule.

Just saying.
emma

Kindergarten schedule

Postby ELLE on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 am

angelea, if you speak to the 1st grade staff I'm sure you'll hear that many of the children are yawning and dosing off in the afternoon. What you'll also hear is that kids that go to full time kindergarten are "generally" ahead of the kids that don't.
ELLE

Kindergarten schedule

Postby clifford on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:57 am

I just don't know about getting more in 5 days. Our class takes naps/rests in the afternoon then colors or something very low key then does snack. Their day basically ends at 11 when they go to lunch.
clifford

Kindergarten schedule

Postby mhp on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:11 am

The 5 half days was in place as recently as 4 years ago. Kids either went in the AM or PM, and switched sessions in January. This was eliminated because of financial reasons. There wasn't enough money to continue a mid-day bus 5 days a week to drop off and pick up the kindergarteners (who were actually dropped off right at their house). The five day program was great...it offered consistency whether your child went for just the half days of for extended days. All of the things that work best for our kids require money, which the school department doesn't have. Remember this when (and if) an override vote comes around again. How many more services are going to be lost if there is no more money? Just my opinion
mhp

Kindergarten schedule

Postby nana8 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:30 am

Can you say "bloated" administration salaries?????
nana8

Kindergarten schedule

Postby Beantown Baby on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:46 am

Can you say whiney babies? Be grateful for what you have, and if you don't like what Tewksbury provides, go elsewhere. At present, municipalities in Massachusetts are required to provide kindergarten to children of the appropriate age, the teachers shall be duly certified, and the class average should be no more than 25 - which I expect we are already exceeding. And there also is, however, a waiver that a town can apply for to not provide kindergarten at all if it brings undue financial hardship. How long do you think it is before kindergarten is eliminated entirely to give each elementary school a couple more classrooms? Our new schools are not being built tomorrow. Our current system isn't perfect, basically it @#$%^, but it works for most people. Parents are the best educators for children at that age anyway, so when they are not in school, spend some time reading, coloring, doing puzzles, etc. ie teaching and they will be fine. And for those who work for whom this is not possible, remember that both the cost of day care as well as the school's extended day program are tax-deductible. Personally, I would like full day kindergarten, but I am with the supporters of 5 half days, and can't afford private school.
Beantown Baby

Kindergarten schedule

Postby nana8 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:20 am

So we just ignore the fact's??
nana8

Kindergarten schedule

Postby Beantown Baby on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:40 am

The only facts are that our school system has big problems and the town can't afford to rectify most of them. Everything else is opinion.
Beantown Baby

Kindergarten schedule

Postby jcapelo on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:00 pm

It's pretty sad that we have to ignore the facts!!!! Basically your saying the Town can't afford these issues so we just ignore them!! The Town needs concerned parents to express there opinions on the School System. It's pretty sad when you drive through the city of Lawrence they have all brand new schools & Tewksbury is a more wealthy town & it looks like CRAP!!! I'm so embarrassed that the Trahan School looks the way it does.
jcapelo

Kindergarten schedule

Postby emma on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:15 am

The city of Lawrence has new schools BECAUSE they are not as "wealthy" as Tewksbury. The state determines how much state aid a town gets based on its "wealth" or lack thereof. Towns like Lawrence, Lowell, Chelsea, Roxbury...they get more state money. It's just the way it works. In a sense it's fair, because wealthy towns should be able to cover their schools, but in another sense it just plain stinks because when the state money isn't there it falls back on the TOWN to find it, and in "Tewsbury" nobody seems to want to fund the things they complain about.

Which, by the way, is why Governor-elect Patrick said he's not rolling the taxes back from 5.3 to 5%...the TOWNS will have to find MORE to make up the difference and we're not finding it NOW.

Don't believe me? Roll that tax rate back and see what happens.

You can't have it both ways, people. I'm sorry. You want to complain about the current state of the schools, fine, but you'd better be out voting to fund them at the same time.
emma

Kindergarten schedule

Postby Tiff on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:05 pm

The school system in Lawrence lost accreditation so the state took over and did over all their schools to get them up to state standards.
Tiff

PreviousNext

Return to Trahan School