96 Units on East at Livingston

Citizen group actively involved in affecting growth and development in town.

96 Units on East at Livingston

Postby newtotewks on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:06 am

I saw this coming by reading the Planning board agenda recently. Had I been paying attention I would've read the articles for Town Meeting when the zoning for this property was changed to allow this type of complex to be built. Now residents are upset and there is a meeting Monday night about the 96 unit complex that will change what looks like a nice little farming area, green space, open land...exactly why I moved my family here. Now I'm a fool because I didn't pay attention to the articles for TM, how many of us do? Can this be stopped? I doubt it. @@@ It could've been stopped at TM@@@@, yet most don't read the articles and most don't show up, me included! The owner and developer is well known, and I'm sure a nice guy. People have said he does good things for the town, I would too if I owned a bunch of land that someday I would develop into condo/townhome complexes. My hats off to him, I believe if you own land you should be able to develop it if you follow the proper routes, which he has! What developers have in their favor is a town whose residents don't pay attention, at least not enough of them to effect change or stop change. I will pay more attention to the doings of the Town, raising children and working two jobs is no excuse to not pay attention. In the end, this will most likely be built, and down the road more green space will be built upon. Developers will buy up whatever land they can to make money, especially when they know the townspeople don't pay attention. I'll go take some picture of that area, so someday I can show my children that Tewksbury wasn't always a bustling city in the Merrimack valley....
newtotewks

Re: 96 Units on East at Livingston

Postby swamper on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Unfortunately, too little too late. That parcel was home to the late Mr. Sullivan. Originally, before the rezone I 'believe' the developer had plans for some type of industrial warehouses/condos similar to the ones you see near Pinnacle in keeping with the zoning. They were going to be set back from the street with landscaping in front. I was at that Town Mtg. and voted for it. He did not have photo type plans ready as to what he had in mind/what they would look like so I can only guess because people didn't 'trust' what they would end up with back there with existing residential houses nearby they shot it down. It was only after that that he came back with the rezone at the Oct. TM which passed allowing for the housing project that is proposed for there now. I agree, newtotewks and have always said residents need to pay attention, we still have the power of Open Town Mtg. if more people would just utilize it. In this case I would say....be careful what you wish for.
swamper

Postby newtotewks on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Well said Swamper...

On a side note; The property across from Wall Mart, where the Hen house? was located...next to Vics waffle house.. A developer. well known, has plans for a gas station/ convenience store to go up there. Again, neighbors are upset and from what I read showed up in force at a meeting to voice it. Too little too late ? maybe, the time to voice a concern with a vote was at the TM where the zoning was changed. Something is going where all these vacant lots, open spaces are around town. Those who own them or are going to purchase them, are in the business of making money, kudos to them, I'm jealous and I'm broke. We all want businesses and housing, we just don't want it in our backyard. There is a price to pay when you make the town unattractive to potential new residents and also developers, who can bring in much needed tax revenue. There is a balance somewhere and we all need to pay attention and attend planning meetings, community development meetings, and TM so we build out the town we want, for our children and future generations to hopefully come. Smart growth, google it, its worth a read.
newtotewks

Postby Harry on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Town Meeting is where you go to "stack" the deck. It always has been and always will be, I detest it stronger than I can write here.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 pm

these builders don't care about this town. it is all about profit. they don't care about destroying neighborhoods or the look and feel of a town. The last thing this town needs is more housing like this.
Tewksbury2001

Postby Harry on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Builders build, that's what they do...I simply don't like how they stack the deck with things like the infamous 40B scam and the like.

And if I may....I would like to ask all Tewksbury residents....what will you do when they come after the State Hospital Lands?

And please note, I said when.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby swamper on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Not saying you don't have a point Harry, know you too well for that (lol).... but as I recall at that particular first TM though there were builder friends there to stack the deck if you will, the first proposal (for the utility condos) did not prevail as people (IMO) were afraid. For zoning issues such as this (and in this instance) I usually take the recommendation of someone I trust on the Planning Board who DID recommend it (the FIRST time) which is why I voted like I did. However, some friends right around me did not as IT WAS THE BOS chair who instead of 'deferring to the Planning Board' as is usually done in such matters INSTEAD for whatever reason got on some passionate bandwagon against the original proposal being near a residential neighborhood....blah, blah, blah...like they were siding with the residents and the residents bought it. When those presumably same residents voted the next time (Oct.) to change the zoning did they expect the builder to build single family homes? Perhaps, but as we all know, THAT isn't going to happen as on a smaller parcel such as this it would not be profitable. IMO, the residents would have been better off with the industrial condos at the back of the property as originally proposed with landscaping around it....probably wouldn't have even been SEEN from the street...now look what you'll get. Again, be careful what you wish for and pay attention to the Planning Board. (hope this does not change now with two trusted long time members gone in Mr. Spada and now Mr. Plunkett..... thank God for Mrs. Reed!)
swamper

Postby newtotewks on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Anyone going to the planning board meeting tonight? The Livingston St property is on the docket.
newtotewks

Postby swamper on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:07 pm

I would think there would be many in attendance if they did not get to speak last time according to this past week's Town Crier article which also provides more info on the project:

http://homenewshere.com/tewksbury_town_ ... f9d46.html
swamper

Return to Tewksbury Citizens for Planned Growth