What Union Jobs

Citizen group actively involved in affecting growth and development in town.

What Union Jobs

Postby bferrari on Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:15 pm

What happens to the PLA agreement if Mills Corp. sells the land to another developer? Does that now render all the agreements null and void?
bferrari
Site Admin

What Union Jobs

Postby tigerchief on Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:02 am

tsantora....for the most part, yes those were the cheers of the Union guys....

I agree, residential is a bad option for the property, and support a concept of a ramp with Commercial development and a retail exclusion....

However, it appears to this observer, the Selectmen have taken the bait, the Mills proposal is the only commercial option on the table, and these guys looked poised to jump on the hook....

As someone stated at a previous meeting....one would think, a 100 acres of Commercial property, 17 miles from Boston, with direct access off a major highway would be pretty attractive in a thriving economy....

It would be a shame, if through a lack of vision, the Selectmen don't at least give the people of Tewksbury alternative choices for the property other than the negative impacts that come with a mall....ie..low wages, little or no job benefits, traffic, exhaust pollution, light pollution, environmental issues and crime....
tigerchief

What Union Jobs

Postby krauseo on Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:22 am

This morning I asked a prominent commercial real estate broker I'm working with if an office park development company would be interested in this property if it were rezoned commercial and had ramp access. He said they would definitely be interested. He said that right now they may not build on it, and may wait a bit until things turn around, but that these types of companies buy and hold land like this for years sometimes. He also said that right now it would probably be more valuable to a retail developer than an office developer.

Conclusions:

1. The claim that there would be no interest from office park developers is without merit.
2. The most likely reason for the claim is that Mills has offered more for the land than any other buyer. If a nuclear power or toxic waste storage company offered more than Mills, we'd probably be hearing arguments about how great that would be for Tewksbury.
3. While office park development might not happen immediately, neither would mall development, because the ramp needs to be decided first.
4. Office park development would create union jobs.
5. Office park development would have negligible service costs, and thus similar net revenue to the town as the mall.
6. Office park development wouldn't require a zoning overlay district that basically disregards our commerical zoning regulations.
7. Office park development would not preclude skating rink development.
8. Whether we build a mall or an office park, there will be a 40B development somewhere on the Perkins and/or Berg property, because it makes business sense for both Mills and the 40B development company. More on that later.
krauseo

What Union Jobs

Postby swamper on Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:46 am

quote:
"Except for a few obnoxious union guys that were bad-mouthing Judy Fittery (of all people)"

Meaning no disrespect to John O. or members like him with a mind of their own...I agree that boorish behavior on the part of a "few" was disgusting! Some of those comments came from a union individual who passed right by me reeking of booze. I'm sure he made it out of the meeting in time for "last call" with O'Neill and the Mills' crew! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
swamper

What Union Jobs

Postby John O on Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:25 am

That I'm not sure about, sorry.

I've talked with the guys at work from Tewksbury and they really didn't know too much about the mall project. They also aren't the ones making a scene at the meetings. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the meeting next Tuesday and see what it going on.
John O

What Union Jobs

Postby kpflaherty on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Following is a quoted copy of the letter my husband received from the Local Union he belongs to, along with the glossy flyer from Mills. Obviously we know the union members have been contacted, but I wanted everyone to hear the exact wording. Notice again, no factual information provided -just show up and do what you are told. I hope more union members are more like my husband and JohnO, and have their own minds and their opinions.

"January 21, 2004

Dear Brothers:

I would like to inform you about the proposed mall in your Town of Tewksbury. I have been going to Merrimack Valley Building Trades meetings about the mall and I would like to update you on the progress.

As of today, we have a commitment from the Mills Corporation that they will sign a PLA, which means that if the mall gets voted in favor of,it will be built 100% union. I have enclosed a pamphlet that should answer a lot of your questions.

Please tell all of your family and friends how much the mall would hlep them with new jobs and tremendous new tax revenue. In the near future I will be asking you for your help to go to meetings to help in the permitting process or at town meeting to get this approved.

If you have any questions feel gree to call me at the union hall.

Sincerely,
XXX
Business Agent
XXX
Local # XX"
kpflaherty

What Union Jobs

Postby John O on Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:34 am

I would like to thank those members who attended the meetings held on January 13,2004. I realize its difficult to spend your nights at hearings, but your participation and attendance will make a difference as to whether or not the Tewksbury Mills Project will be successful.

On Tuesday, January 20, and Tuesday, January 27, there will be two additional meetings with regards to this project, beginning at 7:00pm at the Tewksbury Town Hall.

Once again, we are asking members who live in Tewksbury and Wilmington to make every effort to attend these meetings. For those members who live in Tewksbury, if you could bring your family and friends who are also in support, it would be most helpful.

*That was my mailing. Well, I did attend the 27th but I did so alone and observed for myself the things you folks have been talking about. I missed much of the beginning as some morons were yapping in the back, but I did see one guy I had worked with but he left at the sewer report. And to think Selectwoman Sullivan is my boss' ex-wife! Ha!
John O

What Union Jobs

Postby duffyhouse on Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:47 am

Does the PLA include the ENTIRE project of the proposed Mall and connecting roads? And since the ramp may be paid for by the State/Feds (although I can think of other projects/areas that such monies should be spent on) do the unions automatically get the Highway/Ramp jobs?

The reason I am asking is that I have heard that Mills has hired Unions before, but not always for entire projects, exterior, interior, ring roads, etc.
duffyhouse

What Union Jobs

Postby bferrari on Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:54 am

I've asked this before but I have heard no answer. Let's say the ramp passes at Town Meeting. What happens to that agreement if Mills backs away and someone else comes to develop the area instead? What happens to that agreement?
bferrari
Site Admin

What Union Jobs

Postby duffyhouse on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:08 am

Do you mean what happens if the Rezoning passes, but Mills doesn't get their ramp approved? Mills has said, "no ramp, no mall". They have also said that then they will "go away". If that happens the development argeement that is currently being formulated/negotiated will be null and void. I assume the PLA will too?
duffyhouse

What Union Jobs

Postby John O on Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:13 am

That would only make sense. The PLA is for the Mall project, not the ramp or any other project. If the Mall falls through and someone else grabs the land then they can contract out the work to whoever they want.
And I'm not sure what the state does for highway work. I don't know if they always contract it out to Modern Continental or not.
John O

Previous

Return to Tewksbury Citizens for Planned Growth