Somebody should have listened to TCPG

Citizen group actively involved in affecting growth and development in town.

Postby TRUE-or-FALSE? U Tell me? on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:38 pm

Mayb the should form a suit like Tecchis and the big dig! LOL
TRUE-or-FALSE? U Tell me?

Postby Mcro on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:41 pm

HUH-? Evan I don't get what true is saying; and thats bad.
Mcro

Postby tigerchief on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:06 am

Tewksbury to undergo Route 38 traffic overhaul

By ALEXANDRA MAYER-HOHDAHL, Sun Staff
Lowell Sun

TEWKSBURY -- The popular online direction provider Mapquest tells you it will take 10 minutes to get from one end of town to the other on Route 38.

Tell any resident that, and they may burst out laughing.

It takes twice that long. On a good day.

Business owners and managers up and down Route 38 agreed that their sales have been hurt by the road's terrible traffic conditions, especially since a MassHighway construction project kicked off at Main and Shawsheen streets.

“We're probably losing about 700 gallons a day in gas,â€￾ that is not pumped, said John Greige, the manager for the Mobil station near Town Hall, said. “People are not driving past here any more to get to the (Interstate 495) highway ... They're cutting off on Shawsheen Street and finding other ways to get there.â€￾

But many businesses also agreed that the traffic on Route 38 was a nuisance well before the construction project.

“Route 38 is like Route 1,â€￾ Cindy Jenkins, who works at Bob's Barber Shop, said, referring to Boston's busy three-lane highway. “Starting at 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., it's bumper to bumper out here.â€￾

A regional planning agency, Northern Middlesex Council of Governments, has taken notice and is studying traffic along the 6.3-mile long road to ultimately advise MassHighway on how to improve travel conditions.

“For a road that is (mainly) two lanes, it certainly carries a very high volume of traffic,â€￾ said Beverly Woods, the council's assistant director.

A traffic count conducted by the council from 1997 to 2001 revealed that the traffic volume on Route 38 ranged from 18,700 vehicles per day at the Wilmington town line to more than 30,000 vehicles per day passing under I-495. According to the group's projections, that volume increases by about 1 percent per year.

The study, which is now on hold because of the construction at Main and Shawsheen streets, has been ongoing “in bits and piecesâ€￾ for three or four years, Woods said. Route 38 has been flagged as a problem in Tewksbury for at least a decade, according to Woods.

The council has written an existing conditions report examining the road's intersections, pedestrian amenities, traffic volumes and accidents and analyzing the roadway's capacity.

“There is consensus in the town of Tewksbury that transportation improvements to Route 38 are very much needed due to increasing congestion, multiple conflicting movements as vehicles enter and leave commercial establishments ... and increased traffic due to new businesses and redevelopment of already occupied sites,â€￾ the report said.

Once construction is completed next year, the council will update traffic counts before working with the town on identifying strategies for improving travel conditions on the road, Woods said.

The town and the council will then issue recommendations to MassHighway.

But Woods said that the council already has a good idea of where the problem lies.

“(The existing conditions report) shows that most of the problem is at the intersections,â€￾ she said. “Many of them are in need for improvement.â€￾

Greige, the manager at the Mobil station, said businesses along Route 38 are in somewhat of a contradictory situation. “We need the traffic,â€￾ he said.

“But we don't want bumper to bumper either.â€￾

Alexandra Mayer-Hohdahl's e-mail address is amayer-hohdahl@lowellsun.com.
tigerchief

Postby Cheryl on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:34 pm

Joe Tecci's in the North End of Boston is closing down (actually, I think they've closed their doors already) and are citing the Big Dig as the reason for their failure after decades of successful business. I believe they have filed a suit against the Big Dig, but I'm not positive about that.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Return to Tewksbury Citizens for Planned Growth