Woburn St 40B

Citizen group actively involved in affecting growth and development in town.

Woburn St 40B

Postby kpems on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 am

A new 40B on land owned by Kevin Sullivan at 395 Woburn St is being proposed. The four story apartment style buildings will hold 64 units. A public meeting is scheduled this evening (Wednesday the 13th, 2011) at the Tewksbury Housing Authority's Community Room at Saunders Circle to hear the proposal. After the proposal the Local Housing Partnership will be preparing a recommendation to the Board of selectmen.
kpems

idiots

Postby bferrari on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh great, yet another Sullivan-family-high-density-high-height-ugly apartment building in our town.

We are quickly losing whatever "town" feel we used to have. Which of course effect all our property values. This is right near the old Raytheon plant on the Lowell line, right? Another big ugly apartment building that everyone on the highway can see. Who wants to move here anymore.

Thank you 40B for your big part in the explosive growth of suburban sprawl. We had the chance to stop 40B last big election (Question 2), but you know how this state rolls, now you get what you voted for and I hope and pray that everyone who voted to continue the march of 40B will end up with huge apartment buildings next door to them, in place of a single family home.
bferrari
Site Admin

Re: Woburn St 40B

Postby kpems on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Yep the plan has them stuffed in like sardines. Buildings and parking spaces with no open space on the plan. Yes, it is the lot right in front of the old Raytheon. I voted to repeal 40B and yet I will get to look at this monster height building every day. We (taxpayers)just spent alot of money on a study by the NMCOG that was presented at the Tewksbury Town Hall about a Woburn St. Study that concluded that Tewksbury should stop mixing up its industrial /commercial/resedential zoning and that a buffer strip of commercial development should be created on Woburn St to attract industry and protect residents. Then low and behold a letter that more residences will be 40B'd along side industry. What industry will want to move into the old Raytheon property with all those residents so close by? Wait until Baker Commodities and the Waste Water treatment Plant in Billerica start getting another 64 phone calls about the odor!
kpems

Postby Harry on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35 pm

kpems, good post, you have it correct. Mixing Industry with Residential was a bad idea, is a bad idea, and will forever be a bad idea. It's why Tewksbury is in such a tight spot with Industrial space. It's also what Wilmington got right.

So, let's not beat a dead horse. Let's make sure that as much Industrial development, in the right area, is built. I thought the Woburn St area was and is a great idea. I hope the Town pushes forward and makes an Industrial park there as there just isn't that many "right" spots to do this. Let's get this right.

And shoving a 40B monstrosity in this area screws with this Towns ability to get it right so I hope he is denied.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby bferrari on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

It's next to impossible to deny a 40B, unless there are health and safety issues and that is about it. Or the 40B proponent doesn't actually have rightful title to all the land.. ahem...

Traffic arguments NEVER win. The state and apparently its peoples want apartment buildings everywhere, so apartments they will get.

Some 40B information:

East Street Apartment Complex 288unit in six five-story buildings: (The Sullivan's last attempt at a monolithic 40B development):
viewforum.php?f=1

Affordable Housing Abuses:
viewforum.php?f=41
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby kpems on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:53 pm

I went to the meeting tonight and the buzz saying is if you do not work with the developer they will change this into a "hostile 40B". OH NO! The attorney even pretended to do his boxing moves there for a moment . The lot is split between Tewksbury (40B) and part of the parking was pointed out to be in Lowell (who has met 10%) so we will see where that avenue goes. I get a kick that the "affordable" two bedrooms will be over $1200 a month and market value over $1800. I honestly think there is a mistake being made by this developer on his plan even though I have been out of the rental market for a long time. These units will be on the Lowell line, the odor from Baker and the water treatment plant is herendous, the train shakes your house, and the neighbors have pitbulls. Hmmm and how's the South Tewksbury emergency response (64 units cross town) and School crowding looking?
kpems

Postby ELLE2 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

They have to go to the planning board and there was a vision presented for Woburn Street. Hopefully if this is out of line with that vision, it can be modified accordingly. This very small plot of land is right next to residences so I don't think there is a strong argument to say this needs to be industrial, however, 64 units seems way too dense and urban for that spot. I'm sure it will be good for Pete's variety in any event.
ELLE2

Postby bferrari on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Do a title search of the land that this is going to be built on, you may find something....... just sayin. These nuts are the worst people who have ever abused 40B... get a lawyer.

There are anti-40B lawyers out there. I suggest getting neighbors together and getting one.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby bferrari on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 pm

kpems, check your Private Messages. If you don't know what that is, look up at the "(x new messages) link next to "User Control Panel" up near the top left of this page, and click on it. That is private email. I just sent you a LOT of information.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby tomasek1000 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:45 pm

It's very hard to get worked up about this anymore. We (those opposed to 40B) fought the good fight last fall and not only did eveyone sanctimoniously (you're against poor people who need shelter!) line up against it, many I thought would support the repeal failed to mention it. It wasn't close, so I guess people don't care.

Note Cardinal O'Malley is still waiting for his annual appeal check from me after he weighed in against the Repeal 40B effort last year. I did not realize that 40B developer profits were a concern of the archdiocese, but I guess I missed Mass the day they covered that.

Get ready for the impact on your school budget as well.

Does anyone think there is a shortage of housing?

Is there not affordable housing in Lowell?

Does someone have the "right" to live in Tewskbury?
Formerly Tomasek for Senator, now just Jamison Tomasek
tomasek2010@gmail.com
tomasek1000

Postby bferrari on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Yes Tomasek, the Catholic church came out against "Question 2, Stop 40B" ballot question.

I'll just leave this right here...

Of course what they didn't tell you at the time was that the Catholic church also has a large real estate development arm....
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby kpems on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 pm

"Does someone have the "right" to live in Tewskbury?"

Oh how you hit that nail on the head! I grew up in Tewksbury and now live right over the Lowell line. I would have loved to live in Tewksbury because I grew up there but this middle class family really could not afford to because we were buying during the market high. We bought a house in Lowell with a lot behind our house that is zoned Traditional Single Family so we thought (we were told before buying) that is all that would be built there. Along comes Mr. 40B developer who says that he will just have Lowell change their zoning too for these 40B units to be built in Tewksbury and use the Lowell lot for parking. (which is against Lowell zoning law). I am just glad that the children from the development would attend Tewksbury Schools because the Lowell Schools are crowded enough with 20-22 kids in my children's classrooms. I hope that Tewksbury School's have been able to handle all of this development ok. I love Tewksbury and I think it is sad that it is now known for strip malls and 40B's.
kpems

Postby HC5512 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I too live near this project and attended the Local Housing Partnership meeting on April 13.
It is being proposed as two 4 story 32 unit buildings with 148 parking spaces on 3.6 acres which is crazy.
This will have a serious negative effect on property values in both Tewksbury and Lowell

But, here's some good news that will hopefully kill this insane plan:

I emailed Senator Eileen Donoghue's office and I was told that the current design cannot legally be permitted by Lowell.
Since the lot is split by municipal boundaries, it is subject to the zoning requirements of both municipalities.
Lowell is not required to accept comprehensive (40B) permits as the city is well over the 10% requirement.
Also, the Lowell lot is zoned traditional single family and I was told that Lowell does not allow use variances.

This means the developer has to revise his proposal as he cannot legally use the land that is in Lowell.
According to my notes, the area in Lowell is 16,000 sq. feet which is roughly 10% of the total 3.6 acres.

I'm hoping that this will put a serious dent in this project now.
HC5512

Postby bferrari on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

The state of Massachusetts considers you a "wealthy land owner" if you own a home. You are a "nimby" if you fight against this. "Property values" have no bearing whatsoever on a 40B, neither do local zoning laws (unless the town is over 10% like Lowell is).

The Sullivan's have big connections in Lowell, expect them to use these connections. The fact that they said that "Lowell will just kick it back to Tewksbury" speaks volumes on their confidence that this project will go through.

Get a lawyer, it is the real only way to fight this.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Astle on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I believe that the Sullivans sold this land a while ago. Some one should check the Registry of Deeds.
Astle

Next

Return to Tewksbury Citizens for Planned Growth