Woburn St 40B

Citizen group actively involved in affecting growth and development in town.

Re: Woburn St 40B

Postby HC5512 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 am

Astle, I think you're right, far as I know, the Sullivans aren't directly involved in this project.
The builder's name is Carl Crupi from C.C. and Sons in Wilmington, it appears he is the land owner.
He was represented at the meeting by Atty. John O'Neil from Tewksbury who, it looks to me, is very influential in the town.
One of my neighbors did go to the registry of deeds and I believe did not see Crupi listed as the owner of record.
HC5512

Postby bferrari on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 am

In case you don't know, the Registry of Deeds is online and you can look up anything/anyone you want:

http://www.lowelldeeds.com/

Click on SEARCH link... Then type in Crupi in the Last Name and "Carl" in the First Name fields.
Or of course anyone's name you wish. You may see connections when you start doing this.

There more than a few different Carl Crupi references....:
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby cozmo on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:49 am

What is going in across from Mahoney's where they are bulldozing the land?
cozmo

Postby HC5512 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for the link! I took a look under Carl Crupi and Woburn St., but couldn't find anything.
I'll dig around some more when I find the address (which I believe is 395 Woburn, the lot #s are 61 and 62)
Cozmo, I'm not sure what's going in down there, with Aved moving in nearby, traffic will increase for sure.
HC5512

Postby mike_flynn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 pm

From a Property Search at http://74.8.243.130/malr/controller :

Number: 29534
File Date: 07/09/2010
Type Desc.: DEED
# Pgs.: 2
Cert No:
Book/Volume/Page: 24083/153
Court Case No:
Consideration: 600,000.00

Street#: 395
Street Name: WOBURN ST
Description: 3A-9,114-34

Grantor: SULLIVAN KEVIN C
...........SULLIVAN MARGARET A

Grantee: A M C REALTY GROUP LLC

The Quitclaim Deed states:

A.M.C. Realty Group, LLC has a usual place of business at 10 Elizabeth Drive in Wilmington. A google search of this address yielded many results ending with the last name "Crupi".

There were four (4) acres involved "lying in said Tewksbury and slightly in said Lowell."
mike_flynn

Postby kpems on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:59 pm

HC5512 wrote:Thanks for the link! I took a look under Carl Crupi and Woburn St., but couldn't find anything.
I'll dig around some more when I find the address (which I believe is 395 Woburn, the lot #s are 61 and 62)
Cozmo, I'm not sure what's going in down there, with Aved moving in nearby, traffic will increase for sure.

To do the search you have to choose multiple towns not Tewksbury or Lowell. It was sold to AMC Realty. The Lowell planning office also confirmed that the drawing needed to be redone. I honestly would not mind a project 1/2 the size going in there with some nice open space around it. Unfortunately with the comprehensive permit they are making this project way too dense for the lot size and saying that increased construction costs should allow for the size.
kpems

Postby HC5512 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:50 am

We aren't opposed to something going in there as well, but even one 4 story would be a bad idea.
This guy paid $600K for scrub land and he's trying to bail out using 40B as the ticket.
If Lowell stands firm on not allowing the variance, and the email I got from Sen. Donoghue's Chief of Staff, sure sounds like they will, it may just be enough to stop this ridiculous project.
HC5512

Postby Clorox on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 pm

kpems is right that Tewksbury cannot afford more kids because the schools are way over crowded and class sizes are big. there are units going up on Andover street, a new subdivision going in on whipple road, and ames pond brought in more not to mention the devs on both sides of Livingston street near pinnacle, the new condos across from saint williams etc. some have said more kids is good because the state gives us money per kid but it doesn't matter because it is not enough to pay for more teachers and their benefits and transportation of kids and books and computers. and now they wan t to jam nore kids on woburn street? no way. that would all be dewing school district and north street. why can't tewksbury say no to variances? other towns seem to have no problem giving NO EXCEPTIONS........seriously what is wrong with Tewksbury? it is not nimby to be sane. thank you for bringing this to the surface kpems. HC5512- stay on the case.
Clorox

Postby bferrari on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 am

This is 40B, it's not Tewsksbury. 40B doesn't care about overcrowded schools, traffic, pollution, you name it. Mass voters voted to keep this law. Mass gets what it deserves.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby HC5512 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:41 am

bferrari wrote:This is 40B, it's not Tewsksbury. 40B doesn't care about overcrowded schools, traffic, pollution, you name it. Mass voters voted to keep this law. Mass gets what it deserves.

Can't agree with you more bferrari. I've read your posts on this board, there is so much misinformation out there about 40B.
We're all now seeing this first hand how this really works.
This isn't about 'affordable housing' it's more like 'developer welfare' and you're right, as usual, the voters in Massachusetts get suckered in and vote the wrong way.
Look at the misinformation about the dog track in Raynham, all they did was put people out of work!
The dogs will just be sold to race somewhere else!
If there's anything I can do to help you with your fight please pm me!
HC5512

Postby kpems on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:18 am

"This is 40B, it's not Tewsksbury. 40B doesn't care about overcrowded schools, traffic, pollution, you name it. Mass voters voted to keep this law. Mass gets what it deserves."

Bob, I think (just my oppinion) that the anti-40B movement was a bit off mark. Massachussetts voters for the most part are pro-affordable housing and the argument that came out was affordable housing vs. no affordable housing. I feel that building apartments in towns like Tewksbury and Andover and renting them at their market rate does not really help those that REALLY need affordable housing. I live in Lowell and a 40R project passed last night that gives Lowell $3000 per apartment (even though only 20% are designated affordable) at a 100+ unit development in an area zoned for 100+ apartments. This apartment development has been in the making for a good amount of time but yet it sat empty over funding and other technical issues even though the city and the residents wanted it built but yet we force units down the throats of those that do not want them there.
kpems

Postby bferrari on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am

40R is very different from a 40B.

40B is a hammer that developers get to use with little oversite from anyone.

40R rewards communities for developing affordable housing. 40R usually leads to a very cooperative organization between abutters, citizens, builders, and town government. It allows for proper planning and elimination of unsustainable development because the control remains with the town and it's people.

There was a reason that big big money was being supplied to the "pro 40B movement". If 40B went away, so would their hammer.

40R is the much better way to go but then developers don't get the ultimate control that they would with a 40B. Where do you think all the money (over 1million dollars) came from to support the "pro 40B movement"??? Developers and banks. That should tell you a lot about which way to vote. Always "follow the money" when you need to decide which way to vote on an issue.

What the "pro 40B" movement did NOT tell you was that without 40B, there are still many (listed below) other affordable housing programs out there. But none of them gives developers the power of 40B. The whole "there would be no more affordable housing" was simply a lie... and it worked. Also, people voted for this because most people don't believe that a 40B can be built in their backyard because there is a house or other small building there already. They don't realize that houses are being bulldozed and replaced with five story buildings since 40B has no legal obligation to adhere to local zoning laws, or local conservation laws.

The whole "pro vs anti 40B" thing was marketing from the "pro 40B movement" and the Catholic church, and of course the Boston Globe is a big big supporter of 40B for obvious reasons.

From a previous post last year:

You may want to save this post. The information and the list of Housing which WILL NOT be affected by the Repeal of 40B, is important to know. You will find this information valuable when watching the Attack Ads against the Repeal or should you enter into a discussion with someone who is completely misinformed that is telling you that without 40B there will no longer be any help for those who are in the unfortunate position to need housing. Veterans, Elderly, Handicapped, and Special Needs, along with other forms of REAL AFFORDABLE HOUSING will not be adversely affected and this Fact must be brought to the Voters Attention. The extensive list of housing initiatives below should ease any concerns that you are not compassionate about your fellow human beings, if not, you should be able to realize that the charlatan you are speaking with has another personal agenda or self interest for opposing the 40B Repeal[maybe even protecting a $404,500 compensation package see 2nd message]! The Welfare Program for Developers on the Tax payers Dime in this State, Must End This November[Emphasis Added].

Following the list of “Reputable Housing Programs” is a perfect example of the cronyism and misinformation which is being sold as a “False Bill of Goods” to cities and towns that John is working tirelessly to neutralize.

Message from John Belskis

What WILL STILL BE BUILT WITHOUT 40B affordable housing

As our members have been campaigning for Vote YES on Question 2, they have been asked what will build affordable housing without 40B. The opposition has very selective memory!

There are more than a few tools available. This is a list that we gave ex-Senator Diane Wilkerson when she said the same thing. People also forget about 40R which has nothing to do with 40B. We also have MGL 122B which gives local housing authorities the responsibility for creating affordable housing but DHCD has been short changing them for years. (There is a State Auditor's report that shows that)

Category I - The following housing programs are low- or moderate-income housing programs for purposes of G.L. c.40B, §§ 20-30, 760 CMR 30.02(k), 31.04 (1)(a).

Eligible Active Programs

A. State Programs
DHCD Chapter 689 (Special Needs Housing)
DHCD Chapter 167 (Special Needs Housing)
DHCD Chapter 705 (Family Low Income Housing)
DHCD Chapter 667 (Elderly/Handicapped Low Income Housing)
DHCD Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program
DHCD Affordable Housing Trust (AHT) (units affordable to people or families with incomes no higher than 80% of the median income)
DHCD Housing Innovations Fund (HIF) (Non-transitional housing only)
DHCD Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF)
DHCD Local Initiative Program (LIP)
DHCD Local Initiative Program (LIP) Units Only2
DHCD Individual Self Sufficiency Program (ISSI)
DMR Group Homes
DMH Group Homes
EOHHS Facilities Consolidation Fund (FCF)
DMR/DMH community-based housing (some uses)
Massachusetts Housing Partnership Fund (MHP)
MassHousing 80/20 Rental Housing
MassHousing Elder 80/20
MassHousing Elder Choice
MassHousing Expanding Rental Opportunities (ERA)
MassHousing Housing Starts

B. Federal Programs

FHLB Affordable Housing Program
FHLB New England Fund (units will count if they meet affordability standards)
HUD HOME Program (Rental Production, Project-Based Homeownership, Homeowner Rehab)
HUD Section 811 (Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities)
HUD Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program (LIHTC)
HUD Section 202 (Supportive Housing for the Elderly)
HUD Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy (SRO) Program
HUD Section 8 Project-Based Rental Certificate Program
HUD Shelter Plus Care (Project-Based Rental Assistance and SRO-Based Assistance only)
HUD CDBG Housing Development Support Program (HDSP) (most uses)
HUD CDBG Community Development Fund (CDF) (non-entitlement communities - some uses)
HUD Enhanced Voucher (Sticky)
USDA Rural Development Section 515 program

Inactive Eligible Programs

A. Federal Programs

Chapter 200 (Veterans’ Housing)
Chapter 13A Interest Reduction Subsidy Program
MassHousing Multi-Family Rental
HUD Section 221(d)(3), 221(d)(4)
HUD Section 231
HUD Section 236
HUD Section 8 New Construction
HUD Section 8 Substantial Program
HUD Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Program

B. State Programs

HOP (Homeownership Opportunity Program)4
R-DAL (Rental Development Action Loan)
SHARP (State Housing Assistance for Rental Production)
TELLER ( Tax Exempt Local Loans to Encourage Rental Housing)
Massachusetts Government Land Bank Residential Housing
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Astle on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Bob,

What are your thoughts about re-zoning the land off of East Street that was originally proposed as Dear Heaven Estates?
Astle

Postby kpems on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Bob maybe I did not word it right but my point was that there are many more programs (like 40R) which actually make REAL affordable housing and actually clean up existing properties that can be used for affordable housing. Right now we give money for moderate income families to live in suburban homes that middle class families can not afford? Hmmm....affordable housing I think not.
kpems

Postby swamper on Sun May 01, 2011 12:41 pm

An Update from John Belskis of Reform 40 B

I am happy to announce John is still actively perusing the cause of protecting our Constitutional rights to place questions on the state ballot as well opposing 40B’s! [BWG #6568 3-25-11]

From John:

The Joint Committee on Judiciary’s 3-23-11 meeting and hearing included Representative Provost’s House Bill H-01830. This was the Bill seeking a Constitutional Amendment increasing the number of signatures required to place an initiative petition on the State ballot. On 3-26-11 the Bill was reported adversely.

A Joint Committee on Housing Bill hearing will be held on Tuesday 5-3-11 at 10:00 AM in hearing room B-1. While most of the Bills involve housing issues not related to 40B, Senator Eldridge’s S-00587 appears to have potential to create perpetuity of affordable units. (Needs more study to be sure)

A Joint Committee on Housing Bill hearing will be held on Wednesday 5-11-11 at 2:00 PM in hearing room A-2. There are three Bills impacting our efforts. Representative Stanley of Waltham has two Bills H-00206 and H-00207. Both of these Bills involve initiative petition signature collection, which while focused on paid collectors include requirements that are problematic to citizen signature efforts. There is also another Bill from Representative Provost H-02735 which is very complex and like Stanley’s Bills impact signature collection efforts. I plan on submitting testimony and attending.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Legislator bidding to raise the bar for ballot-question access

By Johanna Kaiser, Sun Correspondent

Updated: 03/25/2011 09:05:08 AM EDT

BOSTON -- Grass-roots activists might have to hit the pavement harder next election season under a proposed amendment that would more than double the number of signatures required to get an initiative on the ballot.

The legislation, sponsored by state Rep. Denise Provost, D-Somerville, would require signatures from 7 percent of residents who voted in the previous gubernatorial election to qualify an initiative for a spot on the ballot.

Current law requires signatures from 3 percent of such voters.

Provost said she wants to raise the requirement because of lower voter turnout and the increased power of money in signature gathering.

"Civic participation in the commonwealth in gubernatorial elections has fallen so much that an increasingly tiny proportion of the population are getting to determine whether a question is eligible for a ballot," Provost told lawmakers at a hearing of the Joint Committee on Election Laws on Wednesday.

In the 2010 Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 2.3 million people voted. Under the current system, a petition would need about 69,600 signatures to appear on the 2012 ballot. But an increase to 7 percent would raise the requirement to about 162,400.

Of the 24 states that allow referendum questions on the ballot, Massachusetts has one of the lowest thresholds, second only to California, according to Provost.

Since 1919, 60 proposed laws have made it to the ballot; 28 passed.

"Nothing is more debilitating to democracy than narrowing the role of voters," state Rep. James Lyons, R-Andover, testified before the committee. "We need to acknowledge that the ultimate authority rests not with the elites and the insiders who are all too familiar with the corridors on Beacon Hill, but with the citizenry."

Provost and other supporters of the amendment argued that ballot initiatives are not always propelled by concerned citizens.

"That idea is certainly one we all cherish, but it's just not common practice," Chris Condon, political director of the Service Employees International Union, told the committee.

Rep. Marc Lombardo, R-Billerica, a member of the committee, opposes the amendment.

"Frankly, I don't think it's a problem at all letting people exercise their participation in government," Lombardo said. "What do you fear will come from a petition voted for by the people, from the same people that elect us?"

Provost said she supports civic participation and the petition process, but not when it becomes "commercial enterprises" run by a well-funded individuals or a group that can hire paid signature gatherers.

"(These campaigns) need a broad-based campaign to be considered a grass-roots campaign, and not become the tool of a single individual," she said.

Rep. Cory Atkins, D-Concord, said she is concerned about the power money has in controlling the debate on ballot questions. She said the influence of moneyed interests takes power away from citizens.

"I thought we were protected from that usurpation of our power, not my power as a representative, but as a voting citizen," said Atkins.

There is also a bill being considered by the Senate that would regulate paid signature gathering, which has become more prominent in the state during recent elections. Critics of the amendment were quick to point out that Massachusetts has one of the shortest time periods to collect signatures, and a law that invalidates signatures if there is any stray mark on the page.

Lombardo questioned if the amendment was necessary. "Are we not hurting the individual more than the corporations that pay for as many signatures as they need?" he asked. "A well-financed business person is going to go out and get the signatures no matter how high the requirement."

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_17698448#
swamper

PreviousNext

Return to Tewksbury Citizens for Planned Growth