5 Yr. Old Left Off on Busy Street Corner 20 Min. Early With

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby Smarty on Fri Mar 23, 2001 5:28 pm

I agree that it did not potray the story you told. I do understand why you went public. We all want our kids to be safe. You know the truth of what happened. It seems that PJ's mom has some inside knowledge and she even stated that the buses left early. I hope the policy does change so all our kids can be safe. Good Luck!
Smarty

Postby duffyhouse on Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smarty:
I agree that it did not potray the story you told. I do understand why you went public. We all want our kids to be safe. You know the truth of what happened. It seems that PJ's mom has some inside knowledge and she even stated that the buses left early. I hope the policy does change so all our kids can be safe. Good Luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you again for your support.

By the way, I wouldn't even be writing a "rebuttal" letter to the editor to clarify these points if it wasn't for the numerous phone calls I have recieved from people asking, "aren't you mad at that lady at the Burke who basically called you a liar?"

I feel confident in what I know to be the facts. I have other people who can also back up those facts. End of story.
duffyhouse

Postby MrsJ on Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:33 am

Duffyhouse, Smarty and all interested parties:

I am Alice Juchnevics-Kontos, CEO/Chairman of The Burke School. I want to make one statement to clarify this issue to everyone.

1. The K children were not dismissed earlier than their 2:45 time. They went to their bus rooms a little earlier due to the
inclement conditions in order for the school to prepare for the safest dismissal procedure which is protocol of many schools.

2. The bus was released less than 5 minutes
than usual to allow the bus to maneuver the snowy streets in order to get children home as close to their normal drop off time as possible.

3. The five minutes early release played no part in the buses arriving 15-20 minutes early.

4. Due to the bad road conditions, the bus driver used her own discretion and reversed the bus route. This caused the early drop off.

5. Mrs. Diggins school CFO was in no means trying to call anyone a liar. We have more than one bus for our students.

6. P.J.'s mom knew the answers because she went to the administration and asked for the answers.

7 Burke school follows Tewksbury Transit and the Tewksbury Public School's busing policy. However, we can chose to dismiss our school earlier or have no school even if the public schools stay in session.

8. In the future, Burke School may have to release buses early due to inclement weather conditions. With a firm town-wide policy, the school can be informed if the bus changes bus routes so parents can be notified and a firm safety net would be in place to protect our children.

9. Burke School personally contacts all parents in the event of early school closings. We do not expect our parents to listen to radio or TV announcements.

The Burke School administration fully understands Duffyhouses' reasons for making this a public forum. We will work closely with the Public School, Police and Tewksbury Transit to help develop a town-wide policy to follow if they intend to do this. However, information stated and published publicly should be accurate.

This is an official Burke School Statement signed and dated on March 26, 2001.

With Concern for our children,

Alice Juchnevics-Kontos
CEO/Chairman
Burke Educational Services, Inc.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally poted by duffyhouse:
Thank you again for your support.

By the way, I wouldn't even be writing a "rebuttal" letter to the editor to clarify these points if it wasn't for the numerous phone calls I have recieved from people asking, "aren't you mad at that lady at the Burke who basically called you a liar?"

I feel confident in what I know to be the facts. I have other people who can also back up those facts. End of story.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MrsJ

Postby duffyhouse on Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:01 pm

Thank you for admitting that the buses did leave early. I do understand that there are 2 Tewksbury Transit buses which service the Burke School, so maybe Ms. Diggans statement did not refer to bus #18, which is the bus my son takes.

The facts as I know them are that I was told by 2 Burke school officials that the buses did leave early. I spoke with one school offical, on the day of the incident at 3:10 pm who said that, "I was out there in the parking lot when the buses left"- "no, the buses didn't leave at 2:45", but they left, a "few minutes later at about ten, maybe eight minutes to two". The other school offical apologized to both my neighbor and I in the Burke School parking lot the morning after the incident to which they said, "I am sooo sorry about what happened. If I had known that was going to happen, I never would have let the buses go early." Two parents who pick up their kids every day at 2:45pm, said they were "surprised" when they saw the buses leave before they left with their kids because that never happens.

What Ms. Diggans said is physically impossible. According to my car's clock, my watch and my cell phone's clock, my son had walked 2/10 of a mile up the street to where I found him at 3:03, and the bus was no where in sight. The school is approx 3 miles away, and the streets were snowy. Ms. Diggans version of what happened does not make sense.The facts speak for themselves.

By the way, the Transit Co. said the bus driver did NOT reverse her route. And I have no proof otherwise, so I cannot comment on that.

I have moved on with this. I accepted Burke's apology. I accepted the Transit Company's apology. Mr. Libby will have to live his comments. Ms. McGrath and the school committee have not heard the last of me, meaning that I will as promised, work on getting this "unwritten" policy put into writing, and be made an official policy for the future. That was my goal in going public with this. If this had not happened to my son, but did happen to another child, I still would have been just as outraged.

End of story.

Thank you.
duffyhouse

Postby Myboys on Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:42 am

This is not the first horror story I have heard regarding the transportation system.

In every case the school system seems to have a different answer, and the most disturbing aspect is they just seem to want to make sure they are not in trouble.
Should'nt thier firts concern be the safetey of our children??????????????
Myboys

Previous

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues