Save the culvert--sacrifice the children

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby nunes on Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:39 am

I would like to alert residents of Shawsheen St. neighborhoods (the side where they have issued vehicle weight restrictions) that these limits also prohibit school busses from driving on that portion of the road. My child attends summer school at the Tech. and was being picked up in front of my home until I received a call on Tuesday changing his bus stop to Bridge St.(approx. one mile away).I objected to this unreasonable request. As a parent and a taxpayer I will not let my child walk a mile to the bus stop on a street lacking sidewalks where the traffic travels well ABOVE the posted speed limits. I called the Shawsheen Tech. and then was referred to the bus company. I was told by the bus company that they couldn't extend their route by back tracking to make pick-ups in my area. I called the DPW to get information on the culvert (when would it be fixed, etc.) but was left on hold and never got to speak to anyone. As a last resort I called the Tewksbury Police Dept. and voiced my concern to the safety officer. She offered to look into the problem and agreed that the one-mile away bus stop was a safety issue. To make a long story short, the stop has been moved again, this time to a dangerous curve on Shawsheen. Instead of my child having to walk a mile, his walking distance is shortened but he now has to cross Shawsheen at the blind curve. I drove him to the stop but even though I used my flashers my car was creating a hazard parked on the edge of the street. The bus company mentioned that it is possible that this situation will continue when school starts in the fall. I would have thought that the safety of our children would take precedence over a culvert! Guess again.
[img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
nunes

Postby CharterTown@aol.com on Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:11 am

Maybe you can get you neighbors together and go to the Supt. of Schools and the safety officier at the Police Department. Winter will be here and the children in your area will have to stand in the street if we have any snow.

Why David Cressman is in such a rush to put sidewalks on Hill Street escapes me. When anyone with a lick of common sense would know that Shawsheen St. should be a priority. He spent a lot of money on Helvetia Street recently and didn't even put in sewer. Hmmm lets think who lives on Helvitia.
CharterTown@aol.com

Postby Loukiedes on Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:34 am

Take some picture and go to the police station. Don't let them "sweep this under the rug", playing with childrens lives for the convenience of the bus company is no joke. How many children will be using this bus stop when school starts?

The school bus contractor works for the taxpayers. If he continues to disregard the safety of the children, he should be made to comply with the sight guidlines and stopping distances for the approaching vehicles.

We all know we are supposed to stop for a school bus when its flashers are on, how can you if you can't see the bus?
Loukiedes

Postby nunes on Sat Jul 28, 2001 12:39 am

That's my point exactly...how can drivers stop for the bus if they can't see it until it's too late! I trusted that my calls to the safety officer would solve the problem but apparently she feels that the new location at the curve of Ballard & Shawsheen is safe. I'm not sure how many others will be affected by this problem and won't know until the start of the school year. When the school called me to change the location from in front of my home to one mile away at Bridge St., I strongly objected. I told them that I WOULD NOT allow my child to walk one mile on a street w/o sidewalks with traffic going 40-45 m.p.h. Their reply was, "M'am, the speed on that street is posted at 25 and 30 mph." I responded by saying, "Well MA'AM, I live on that street and if I don't pull into my driveway at 40 I'll be rear-ended so don't tell me about posted speeds!" Obviously I didn't get anywhere with the school or the bus company. If this continues when school starts I will take some pictures of the corner and maybe write to the Lowell Sun or the local newspapers.
nunes

Postby CharterTown@aol.com on Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:01 am

The transportation experts should be made to sit and watch "OTTO THE AUTO", ad infinitum.

This has regularly scheduled times on Channel 22. The School Channel. Maybe they can learn to practice what they are preaching.

Wishing you all the best in your unfortunate situation.
CharterTown@aol.com

Postby angel68 on Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:37 am

So how is the bus situation now that school has started? Budget cuts cause children waiting in the cafes for 20 minutes awaiting a second dismisal for buses to come back and do a second run. Hmm, perhaps we'd be better with public transit for our kids. Atleast they put their bus stops in SAFE locations.
angel68

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues