Why aren't we notified of Bus Accidents/Incidents?

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby kakd on Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:01 pm

My 5 year old came home from school today and told me her bus hit a dog on the way to school. She fell of her seat and was crying. She has no obvious injuries, but I was not notified that this had occured. Is it me, don't we have a right to know when something like this happens???!
kakd

Postby mommyof3 on Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:25 pm

Oh my....I would hope that you would be notified. If a dog is hit or injured isn't the local police department supposed to be notified? Check with the bus driver in the am, give the school a call, or to give you peace of mind tonight, call the police department and see if a report was filed.
Good luck and hope your daughter is ok!
mommyof3

Postby kakd on Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:45 pm

I just spoke to tewksbury police, they didn't get a report. I will definitely be contacting the school in the morning.
kakd

Postby Murray on Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kakd:
My 5 year old came home from school today and told me her bus hit a dog on the way to school. She fell of her seat and was crying. She has no obvious injuries, but I was not notified that this had occured. Is it me, don't we have a right to know when something like this happens???!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Murray

Postby Murray on Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:42 pm

You should get your facts straight before you post a message like that. The bus driver did not hit the dog, she avoided the dog. Why wasn't that dog on a leash or tied up in the yard? Don't you think that if the driver hit the dog that he/she would have stopped? Believe it or not, bus drivers are moms or dads, too! You owe that driver an apology.
Murray

Postby kakd on Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:20 pm

The whole point of the message was that I was not given any facts. If you read my message, you would have seen that I said my 5 year old said the driver hit a dog. Forgive her for not getting her facts straight, she was busy falling off her seat, oh and did I mention she is 5. I contacted the transit office today and got the full story. I don't know why the dog was not leashed, it was not my dog, I don't have one.
And if you want to start demanding an apology, maybe the bus driver owes me one. It was not her fault she had to stop short, but she did not notify anyone that my child fell. So in closing, get your facts straight.
kakd

Postby Murray on Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:52 pm

I didn't demand that you apologize. Maybe you should have contacted the bus company first to get the whole story before you posted your message. I'm sure if your daughter was hurt, the driver would have reported it. I'm glad she's ok.
Murray

Postby kakd on Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:25 pm

I'm glad she is okay too. I posted the message here first, because I didn't find out until the late afternoon. I was hoping that another parent would have some information. I thought the whole point of this sight was to exchange information.

It's not like I posted someone's name and made accusations. I relayed the story as it was told to me in the hopes of gaining more information. I did contact the Transit office and the school principal the following day which is how I got the full story.

For the record, I was told that the incident should have been reported and my daughter should have been checked by the nurse and then I would have been called. That is the policy.
kakd

Postby angel68 on Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:04 am

In defense of drivers and moms/dads alike, have you ever stopped short with other kids in your car? Have you always told the parents, 'oh, i had to hit my breaks to not rearend someone.' Probably not unless it was major incident. Now I'm not discounting what happened, just trying to look at it from a 'devil's advocate'. If your child was the only one who fell out of her/his seat, I would question whether or not she/he were sitting in the seat correctly. While the drivers do their best to keep the kids sitting safely and not moving around, it is impossible to keep constant eye on the mirror to see the kids behind them and on the road at the same time. I've seen drivers stop buses just to speak to kids acting up. I'm not saying your child was. What I am saying is that it is important to remind all of our kids (regardless of the age) not to sit in the seats sideways (legs hanging inthe isles). It's a comfortable position and easy to socialize with friends that way, but it is dangerous. Without monitors on the bus, sitting in the last seat to see all kids ahead (which will NEVER happen) the only way to insure kids safety is by reminding them of safety rules on the bus. And with a 5 yo, they don't have much experience riding on the big bus. The seats are designed for 2, but 3 small kids will generally share a seat. If your child can not sit with both legs infront and not hanging a butt cheek of the seat, you need to tell them to find another where they can sit their bottom's flat and feet forward.

As for the driver telling each parent at each stop whether or not they applied their brakes on a given day... you think the traffic gets held up now on the main roads with loading and unloadin. Can you imagine what it would be like if they stopped to chat with each bus stop on a given day?

Get to know your bus driver. I've had several and have not had many issues with them regarding safety of their driving or supervision of the children. If a major safety issue needs to be addressed when he/she is dropping or picking up the kids, I WILL hold up the traffic on main street and let the horns blow. Other than that, because of the rapport with the driver, I trust he/she will notify me if there is an incident I should know about. I know it's hard during their first years at the schools and in someone elses care. As parents, the only thing we can really do is give them the safety tools to use when they are not under our supervision.
One last thing, I would think that 5yo is in kindergarden and therefore would be in the front of the bus. I'm wondering if a little 'lib' was added to your child's story. (common for this age). If a kindergardener were to fall into the isle and get hurt and cry it would be obvious to a driver and his/her job would be to investigate why the child was crying and holding their head, then report it. I'm wondering if she banged it on the seat infront of her. Just a thought from a different perspective. Glad she's ok...lesson learned :-)
angel68

Postby bferrari on Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:47 am

Which leads to another obvious question.

Why don't ALL school buses have seat belts?
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby JOHNNY on Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:36 am

Do you think all children would use the

seat belts as restraints and not use

them as weapons. I wish I had that

much faith in the children in this

town.
JOHNNY

Postby sdeackoff on Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:35 am

I do have faith in the children of our town.

They would use them.

And if they used them as a weapon, that would be assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

They would not be permitted on a bus anymore, and I am sure that other disciplinary measures would be taken.
sdeackoff

Postby Murray on Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:30 am

I think seatbelts are a great idea, however, if a real emergency occurred and the bus had to be evaculated quickly, how many kids would panic and not be able to release the belt? The driver can only unhook so many belts while trying to secure the bus and keep everyone calm. The seats in a school bus are built for safety. If kids are taught to sit the right way, the seats are designed to protect them. I know school bus safety is mentioned every year during the first month of school, but it really should be stressed how important it is for kids to sit and stay in their seats while on the school bus. The drivers shouldn't have to be looking in their rear view mirrors every few minutes telling kids to stay in their seats. Imagine a teacher doing their job with their backs to their students --- that's what a bus driver does every day. They have to have eyes in their backs of their heads - while keeping their eyes on the road. TTI drivers are doing a great job!
Murray

Postby artie on Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:56 pm

some people in town don't have a clue what goes on on a school bus. the driver has to keep his or hers eyes on the road and keep another on the kids . this shouldn't be but it's the truth. not all kids are unruly but the other one's cause the headaches. so anyone who wants to try it be my guest .
artie

Postby kakd on Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
As for the driver telling each parent at each stop whether or not they applied their brakes on a given day... you think the traffic gets held up now on the main roads with loading and unloadin. Can you imagine what it would be like if they stopped to chat with each bus stop on a given day?

That bus driver does not take my daughter home, so I did not expect him/her to tell me personally. The policy of the transit dept/school is that if there is any such problem on the bus where a child may have an injury it is supposed to be reported to the school/bus co. and the nurse is supposed to check out the child and call the parent. So I expect that if my child falls, thru her fault or someone elses, that I be notified. I don't want to be notified every time they brake hard, only if my daughter falls.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I would think that 5yo is in kindergarden and therefore would be in the front of the bus. I'm wondering if a little 'lib' was added to your child's story. (common for this age). If a kindergardener were to fall into the isle and get hurt and cry it would be obvious to a driver and his/her job would be to investigate why the child was crying and holding their head, then report it. I'm wondering if she banged it on the seat infront of her. Just a thought from a different perspective. Glad she's ok...lesson learned :-)

You can go back and read my previous posts on this subject, but here is a quick overview. My daughter did fall into the aisle and she was crying. I was not notified, nor were the school or the bus company. My daughter's story was confirmed by the bus driver. The only part she got wrong was she thought they hit a dog, they avoided the dog.

Also, I agree there should be bus monitors. It is hard to keep kids in line and drive at the same time. I would hope that if my child is not behaving properly or breaking the rules (especially the ones that will keep her safe) I would be informed of that also.
kakd

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues