Changed Bus Stops???

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby dan_mazik on Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:09 pm

Hmm, maybe the air’s getting a little thin up here on the “soap boxâ€￾, but I don’t see any of the above posters complaining about our kids’ being denied an education. What I DO see are people complaining about bus stops being moved, kids being put on different routes from what they were on last year, and the amount of time it takes for some of the kids to get home now based on the new routes. No mention of education at all. Hmmm.

In fact, I’ve seen some of these same posters in other Forums PRAISING the teachers and the education that they are providing for our kids. Hmmm. Well, maybe it’s that thin air again.

Oh, BTW Kev, I must take issue with ONE statement you made: “We all would like our kids to be the last one picked up in the morning and the first on (sic) dropped off in the afternoonâ€￾. Not true at all so please don’t speak for others. Speaking for myself, my son WAS the last one dropped off last year and it worked out just fine. It’s just that last year that last stop was 20 minutes from the school. Now it’s 45.

Next time, pay a little more attention before you pitch your next hissy fit. OK?
dan_mazik

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby mommyof3 on Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:30 pm

I think I may have missed something or missed a post along the line. I don't recall anyone complaining about their children being denied any sort of education throughout the Tewksbury Schools. Quite honestly, I am very happy with the education my children have received and will continue to receive. As a former teacher myself, I always told the parents that I dealt with that they are their child's advocate...If the children are too young for example, no one else is looking out for them so you better. Fight for what you feel your children deserve. I think that everyone here is trying to do that, not sit up high on our "soap boxes." Now practicing what I have preached for years, I, as well as other parents on this post are being their children's advocates. In the case of my kids bus stop being moved, the issue is that of safety and I feel that the stop should be moved before something horrible happens.
mommyof3

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby KMA on Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:58 pm

I certainly do appreciate Dan's comments & corrections;
Thanks for bringing out the fact that I did
have (1) typo/spelling error and more importantly; (2) you suppoted my position by referencing the many favorable comments posted about the high quality of the Tewkbury School system. On the "paying attention" comment, I firmly believe that since school transportation is administered by our school dept, busing is in fact, part of the overall educational/learning process. That is why I included education within the transportation forum. Riding or not riding the bus is a personal choice and you have to do what is best for your child. And Dan you "have to figuratively get "off the fence" or "off the bus" so to speak as well. You reported that you drive your child to school in the morning (perfect, your choice); but your child currently takes the bus ride home, (your choice again) and you complain about it's duration. You also state or threat in your post to have it (Dewing busing route)fixed in 1 weeks time, or you'll discontinue using the bus on the ride home. Now you have another choice: get "off the fence" and make a decision either to ride or not ride the bus, and stop complaining. You can't have it both ways.The administration is ernestly trying to correct all busing issues & concerns; not just for you, but for everyone. School has been in session for a little over a week; Give them a break..Thanks for paying attention!! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
KMA

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby KAV on Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:08 pm

Dan already did take his kid off the bus...

Another subject is a peeve I have - riding the bus should be a privilege, not a right. If your child gets kicked off the bus, he/she should stay off the bus until the kid and parents meet with the principal and bus driver and the kid swears on his life never to act up on the bus again and the driver accepts him back. When he gets thrown off a second time, the kid should lose the right to ride the bus for the rest of the year.
KAV

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby apollo_helios on Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:15 pm

When I was a kid I had to walk 2 miles uphill to and from school. Both ways!

These young whippersnappers have it too easy nowadays.
apollo_helios

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby dan_mazik on Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAV:
[B]Dan already did take his kid off the bus...

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks KAV. Glad to see SOMEONE is paying attention! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
dan_mazik

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby jbd on Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:14 am

Let me start by saying that one of the main reasons I don't like the new bus stop is my own selfishness, the stop has always been within 1 or 2 houses of mine, even when I was little, I have 2 small children and 1 on the way that I now have to lug down to the bus stop with me in the morning, (sometimes my 3 and 1 year old children aren't even awake, I have to wake them!!) But in all seriousness, the "NEW" bus stop has around 30 +/- kids that get on and off at that one stop. You add the parents and the 1,2,3 younger siblings at the stop and you are talking alot of people. Now we have the 10-15 cars that are parked on either side of the road at that same stop because some of these children would have to walk just about 1 mile to get there, now close your eyes and picture this, 30 school children, 30 parents and 20-35 younger than school age children (plus a couple of dogs! lol)then we have SNOW BANKS!!!! Now explain to me where to fit 70-80ish people and lots of cars?? Just for what? To save a couple of stops? I just wish someone could attempt to explain the logic on this. (I won't even get into the late hour that they get home!)
jbd

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby JOHNNY on Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

I am pretty sure that 4 buses were cut

by the Tewksbury School Department

so there are also fewer buses on

these routes.
JOHNNY

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby angel68 on Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:47 pm

Loved the bus safety memo issued today. Too bad she didn't remind us to keep our kids off of the higways and main roads where they are waiting. I wish also children misbehaving at bus stops was mentioned as well. But what do you expect with such overloads at the stops. Keep callin dave!
angel68

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby jbd on Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:47 pm

HOORAY!!!! A school committeeman was at our bus stop this morning and said he will be calling Dave Libby today to try and have it fixed!!!! He had the same concerns I had mentioned, regarding the snow!! I'll keep everyone updated if there is any change!
jbd

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby artie on Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:10 pm

in reply to why there are no seat belts in school buses. who would put the belts on the children. who would make sure they stay belted all the time . the bus drivers have a hard enough time making sure they stay in there seats never mind keep them belted . and also get them home on time. you sure are asking a lot . right now the drivers are at a limit to what they can do and drive the bus saftly to and from school. you get complaints about changing bus stops back to where they where. are you sure you want to get your children home with the way to routes are. what ever you people do don't put the blame on the drivers . put it on the ones who should be blamed. these bus drivers are being pushed to the limit. having to drive from one side of town to the other. going from the heathbrook and the trahan school. then to the north st school and dewing school and not having much time to do it in. they try to do the best job they can. it's really hard to keep everyone happy . this is a no win situation.
artie

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby sdeackoff on Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:25 am

trooper,

Q: "who would put the seatbelts on the chilren"
A: My three year old daughter is capable of fastening herself into her child seat (although I check of course). My nine year old has been capable since he was was out of his child seat.

Q: "who would make sure they stay belted all the time"
A: It would be the responsibility of the child to belt him/herself in and remain belted. The technology exists to make sure that they are (you have seen the "fasten seat belt" signal in your car have you not). If they refuse to cooperate then we wouldn't allow them to use the bus.

Statement: "the bus drivers have a hard enough time making sure they stay in there seats never mind keep them belted"

Reply: If they are belted in then then cannot stand. And as stated previously, if they don't stay belted in then they lose the privilege of using bus transportation.

As to you other statements, I have the utmost admiration for our school bus drivers. They do an outstanding job. Having seatbelts in the bus has nothing to do with their job performance. Bus stop locations have nothing to do with their job performance. I also believe that if all the kids were seated and using seatbelts, that it would decrease some of the stress of their job.

Having seatbelts on a bus is an all win proposition.
sdeackoff

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby ELLE on Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:53 pm

I think seat belts on buses are more dangerous than not having them because if the bus ever caught fire, for example, children may be trapped trying to unbuckle. Unless the bus actually rolls, the padding on the seat in front of them will protect them. And our buses aren't on the highway.
ELLE

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby KAV on Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:13 am

L - I totally disagree. People use that argument for not putting belts on their kids in cars too. It is fact that more people die from not wearing belts in regular accidents than die from being trapped burning or drowning in a car due to their use. For a local example, the 5 year old who fell out of her seat when the bus avoided a dog probably would have put her seat belt on when getting onto the bus (too young to try to beat the system) and would have stayed in her seat instead of being thrown from it. I know the older kids would do their usual rebelling, but they also probably are better able to protect themselves when the driver has to stop short. The little ones are too small.

I have instilled the importance of seatbelts to the point where their use is habit in my family and my kids even give others a hard time when they don't have them on. We explain how important they are and that it is the law and I think it is stupid we have no choice but to stick them on a bus without seatbelts.
KAV

Changed Bus Stops???

Postby Murray on Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:53 am

None of the other children in that bus fell out of their seats - they were all sitting properly - obviously that little girl was not. Seats in a bus are designed for protecting children - when they sit in them properly. If the children have to get out of the bus quickly, don't you think the seat belts would hinder a safe evacuation? How many belts would be used as weapons? Is it the driver's responsibility to make sure everyone is buckled up? People are complaining that the bus ride is long now, just think if the driver had to check on every student to make sure they were buckled up - they'd be getting home after supper. Just something to think about. The kids need to learn more about bus safety - and listening to the drivers when they say "would you please sit down". Many students do listen to the driver and do sit down - it's the ones that don't that are a distraction to the driver.
Murray

PreviousNext

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues