Kudo's to Tewksbury Transit

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby KAV on Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:39 am

We always hear the complaints, so I thought I'd post a pat on the back for a change.

We had a pretty serious issue with our bus driver yesterday and I was very pleased with how the principal of the Wynn, Dave Libby and the people from Tewksbury Transit handled the situation.

The short version is our driver had an issue with one of the kids on the bus and basically lost it. In my opinion tried to hurt the kids by accellerating and slamming on the brakes, used some very inappropriate language, and threw ALL the kids off the bus. Luckily there happened to be some parents behind the bus who witnessed the behavior. They picked up as many kids as they could legally fit and went to the school to complain. While they were there the phone started ringing off the hook with complaining parents.

I chose to speak directly to Tewksbury transit who assured me that this driver is no longer driving for the town.

I realize that kids these days can be horrible and we all have bad days, but this obviously was not OK and needed a quick resolution.

I was very happy that they (the principal, Dave Libby and Tewksbury Transit) was able to quickly get all the details and remove her from the elementary run before she could take out her bad day on any more of our kids.
KAV

Postby kakd on Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:22 pm

I have to say, I have had some issues with the Buses, and I have heard the complaints about Dave Libby, but he has always responded to any calls/concerns in a timely matter.

Regarding the driver, I hope this is the driver I think it is, if not we may be seeing this again.
kakd

Postby Chasnbos on Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:42 am

I feel bad for the drivers ,the buses are crowded, the kids are misbehaving and parents have to threaten the administration before any action is taken against these troubled kids. I know our principal feels these kids should be given many opportunities. But these troubled kids have no fear or respect for anyone and prey on our kids who are decent and respectful. I'm sure we will see many more incidents unless Dave LIbby and the administration start to enforce stricter policies and get these kids off the buses.
Chasnbos

Postby Kat3kids on Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CYA:
But these troubled kids have no fear or respect for anyone and prey on our kids who are decent and respectful. I'm sure we will see many more incidents unless Dave LIbby and the administration start to enforce stricter policies and get these kids off the buses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, fortunately, there are just a small number of these kids. Un fortunately, they cause too much trouble for the good kids and drivers. Being a mom of a child who has had to deal with a few "bad" ones, I have been extremely irritated with the fact that the trouble ones don't get taken off the buses. "They have the right to transportation to and from school" I have been told. Well, so do my children, without being harrassed!! This also follows into the schools, not just on the buses. If the trouble makers, again small number of them, are severly punished the first few times they cause problems, I would think that their behavior would be curbed, and give them a better road to the future. In my experience, the parents are seldom notified of discipline problems with their children by the schools. Unless the child takes it upon themselves to tell their parents that they got in trouble in school, they generally don't find out until it is a much larger problem. IMO, we need more discipline in the schools, which includes the buses. The bus drivers job is to trasport children to and from school, safely. They are not baby sitters. If they have difficulties with a particular child, they should immediately report it to the Principal of the school and the Transportation Dept. Actions need to be taken on the childs first instance of disturbance (and that means in the elementary level).

I applaud the bus drivers for their patience. I don't know that I could do that job. And, I applaud all the "good" kids for their proper behavior, and their parents for teaching them manners and respect for themselves and others!!

Kat
Kat3kids

Postby cdris on Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:05 am

I agree. The children that mishave on the bus are quite a problem. I have been asked (begged) more than once by my daughters to drive them to school because they can't stand riding the bus with those kids.

Dave, if you read this forum, please let your drivers know that they are empowered to turn these kids in. We need them to do that.

Our particular bus has been a literal zoo all year. Finally.... last week some action was taken but why it took this long, I will never know. If the drivers will simply take action swiftly, it will indeed deter problems in the future. And believe me, if parents are responsible for getting those kids to and from school because they are suspended from the bus, THEY too will take action!!

I appreciate and admire our bus drivers for the responsibility they undertake, but they need to be firmer.

I miss our old driver JOE!! He was one tough cookie. My daughters loved him.
cdris

Postby KAV on Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:42 am

This driver should have brought the kid back to the school then finished her route - She was dead wrong in this particular issue - but I agree - to put it blunt - kids suck today. But - I don't fault the school or the bus drivers, I blame the parents.

I too have heard that kids can get suspended from the bus, but if the parents complain they can't get the kid to school, the kid gets to take the bus. I think it should be a privilege, not a right, to ride a school bus - like your drivers license - you screw up, you lose it.

I saw a program that had video cameras in the buses. The kids were angels because they were taped. Due to the expense, they had to resort to fake cameras in some of the buses and the kids had no idea it was fake and they behaved. I know it will never happen, but it was a neat idea.
KAV

Postby cdris on Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:48 pm

Volunteer bus monitors would work too. It would allow the driver to just drive and someone else to deal with the discipline issues.

I'd raise my hand for a day each week and gladly turn in those that can't behave.
cdris

Postby KAV on Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:40 am

Unfortunately, I work full time - Or I would probably be driving my kids now.
KAV

Postby sundance on Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:50 pm

Will someone please explain what happened on this particular bus ride? And when did this happen? What age group?
sundance

Postby KAV on Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:07 am

Happened last Friday, Grades 5-7 were on the bus. The first post explained the events. Was on the route that includes Foster road.

What I posted was witnessed by parents.
KAV

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues