SCHOOL BUS

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

SCHOOL BUS

Postby BIGCOUNTRY on Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:01 am

ABOUT THESE PARENTS THAT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS
I HAVE A QUESTION MY CHILDREN RIDE A BUS TO AND FROM SCHOOL AND ONE DAY I WAS INFORMED BY ONE OF THE TEACHERS THAT MY DAUGHTER WAS A PROBLEM ON THE BUS AND WAS CALLING OTHER CHILDREN A HOLES.THIS FROM A PARENT HER HEARD IT FROM HER CHILD. SO I TOOK ACTION AND FOUND OUT THAT MY OTHER DAUGHTER AND SEVERAL OTHER CHILDREN ON THE BUS WITNESSED 3 4TH GRADE BOYS SWEARING AND MAKING FUN OF MY YOUNG DAUGHTER AND IN HER FACE TO POINT OF MAKING HER CRY DAILY.THEY WERE TOLD BY THE CHILDREN TO LEAVE HER ALONE WICH THEY WOULDN,T.AND QUESS WHAT 1 OF THE BOYS IS THE SON OF THE MOTHER WHO COMPLAINED TO THE TEACHER. SO HOW WOULD YOU PARENTS HANDLE THIS? I,M NOT ONE THAT HOLDS CHILDREN COMPLETLY RESPONSABLE BUT MY DAUGHTER IS BEING VICTOMIZED AND THEN BLAMED PEOPLE BETTER START LOOKING IN THIER HOUSES BEFORE POINTING FINGERS.BY THE WAY THE WORDS USED ON MY DAUGHTER TO PUT THEM BLUNT (MF)(F,A HOLE)(FB) MUCH WORSE THAN AHOLE SAID IN FEAR AND DESPORATION.SORRY FOR THIS LONG WINDED NOTE BUT IT,S TIME.
BIGCOUNTRY

SCHOOL BUS

Postby Kat3kids on Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:17 am

BigCountry,

What I would do, and have done in the past, to clear things up, is go to the Principal and insist on a meeting of ALL children involved, and their parents. This usually brings to light the truth, and the actual trouble makers get dealt with. Unfortunately, a bus driver is someties like a hockey ref, they don't see the original infraction, only the retaliatiion. But instant replay shows the entire incident. By getting everyone together, the rest of the story usually comes out.

I sympathise with you and your daughter, I've been in the same position before. Most times the true trouble maker doesn't give the entire story. But once in the presence of the Principal and their parents, questions get asked and the holes in the story get filled in.

Contact the Principal and request a meeting of the children involved and their parents.

Kat
Kat3kids

SCHOOL BUS

Postby BIGCOUNTRY on Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:03 pm

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF DOING THAT WHAT A GOOD IDEA.
I KNEW I CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. I DO LIKE LIVING IN TEWKSBURY AND I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE MORE GOOD THAN BAD
THANKS AGAIN
BIGCOUNTRY

SCHOOL BUS

Postby bferrari on Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:40 pm

Hi BIGCOUNTRY,

Could you let us know how this develops? I'm sure other people may or may not be in the same situation now or at sometime in the future.

Good luck.
bferrari
Site Admin

SCHOOL BUS

Postby Kat3kids on Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:07 pm

Your very welcome BigCountry and good luck. I believe all will work out for you and your daughter And please do keep us posted, I would be very interested in the outcome. You are correct, there is much more good in Tewksbury than bad, sometimes you have to look real hard though!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Just Kidding!!

Kat
Kat3kids

SCHOOL BUS

Postby lynner on Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:59 am

Oh Please!!!

I have A child at the Ryan School, I have had problems with kids picking on my daughter all year. I have contacted the school, and was told the first time the "Team Leaders" were handling the situation. I was not contacted at all about the problem, which included several students, by the school. I only found out because my daughter told me. The next time, my daughter was told to just ignore the kid that was bothering her. Zero Tolerance?? The last time, another student purposly nocked my daughter to the ground. Ripping her pants, and scraping her knee. Again, I was not informed by the school. I am hoping, no, praying to get thru the end of the school year in this town, so I can get out of this discrace of a town, and get my kids into a real school system, that practices what it preeches, ZERO TOLERANCE.
lynner

SCHOOL BUS

Postby Kat3kids on Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:04 am

Lynner,

Have you requested to meet with Mr. McArdle, the "Team Leaders" and the parents of these children? Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying it is your responsiblity to get this resolved, it is the schools, but if you are not satisfied with the responses you are getting, have you tried to go further? I know how frustrating it is to have a child come home from school and find out there were problems that you were not notified about. The schools should be contacting parents if a child has to be brought to the office for any reason, but especially if there is this type of stuff going on.

Another avenue I have taken, and with much success, is to contact the parents of the child causing the trouble. I have come to find out that these parents know nothing of the situation, but once they hear about it, take very good care of the situation. No, not all parents will be responsive to another parent calling and telling them that their child has been bullying another, but in my experience, it has worked, better than getting a talking to from the principal or team leader at school.

Good luck.

Kat
Kat3kids

SCHOOL BUS

Postby lynner on Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:11 pm

Kat,

I called Mr. Mcardle the next day. He seemed surprised that I called. He told me he could not discuss the dicsiplne of another child with me. I, personally, think I have every right to know what kind of punishment he received. I know this child has harressed others before. The child was made to write an apology that consisted of two sentences, and was addressed to the principal, and not to my daughter. I was reimpersed for the pants, but only because I requested it. I agree with you that it is extremely frustrating not to be notified of the problems my child has had at school. I would also want to know if my child had treated any other person with disrespect. I would like to know, whatever happened to detention? Why do we allow kids to act with reckless disregard for others, and then not follow thu with a punishment? If I thought taking this any further would make a difference, I would do it in a second. But I believe it would make my daughter more of a target, because of the lack of follow thru as far as punishment.
lynner

SCHOOL BUS

Postby sundance on Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:02 pm

To Lynner: School bus difficulties happened to my child a couple of years ago. I contacted Karla Conway, the Vice Principal. She is more or less, the one in charge of disciplining. She handled it well and contacted me of the outcome. I suggest you keep in touch with her. She is compassionate as well as tough. Good Luck.
P.S. You have EVERY right to know how it was handled and the outcome. Demand it!
sundance

SCHOOL BUS

Postby Tewksbury Teen on Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:29 pm

What I'm about to say is not very popular, but is true: This is the way it's always been, and (again, not popular) it builds character. This is coming from someone who took the abuse for years when I was younger (I'm a Senior at TMHS now). It can be a very terrible ordeal, but not if the parent handles it correctly. Even from grade 1, people can be building character. Instead of running to the teacher, this is a perfect chance to toughen up your kid. There will always be bullies. I'm in high school now, and there are still bullies. Both my parents work, and there are bullies there too. I was bullied, and my mother went to the principal, and it didn't end. But I dealt with it, and I learned how to fight back. It's been a lesson I carry with me today (I've got the scars to prove it). Bullying isn't something the teachers can fix. This has to do with the raising of the child. It's like appendicitis: All the teacher can do is give a pain killer (treat the symptom), but the parents can remove the appendix (solve the problem). Plus, the stigma of having your parents come in and solve the problem is another no-no. My advice to you, BIGCOUNTRY, is that you talk with the parents of those children.
Tewksbury Teen

SCHOOL BUS

Postby KAV on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:37 am

Teen - If you could speak to the child, what advice would you give to handle the situation?
KAV

SCHOOL BUS

Postby cdris on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am

I have had success in working through Mrs. Conway too. Different issue, but still, an outcome that I was satisfied with.

I hope there is a "Mrs. Conway" in the Wynn school !!
cdris

SCHOOL BUS

Postby E. Abbey on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:45 am

If you really want to toughen your kids up, name your boy Sue and your girl Spike.
E. Abbey

SCHOOL BUS

Postby Tewksbury Teen on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E. Abbey:
If you really want to toughen your kids up, name your boy Sue and your girl Spike.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol! There comes a point where it just becomes sadistic.

KAV, the wording and whatnot would depend on how old the child was. Keep in mind that I'm no child psychologist (but which of us are?). In my opinion, based on my experiences, the child should be told exactly what I've said already: "there are bullies in life. Sometimes you can tell the teacher and they stop bothering you, but other times there aren't teachers. Some people just don't care. So there are two things you can do: You can turn away and ignore them because they're not worth it(but that doesn't always work), or you can stand up to them. I'll help teach you how. But either one you choose, I'll love you, and I know that you didn't do anything wrong."

Just my two cents.
Tewksbury Teen

SCHOOL BUS

Postby KAV on Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:38 am

I was curious of your opinion. My child doesn't get bullied, but she has told me about sticking up for other kids who do. That actually seemed to help some of the problem was when other kids told the bully to knock it off - then he/she doesn't look so cool.

A problem I have with many bullies is the parents are a problem as well. So going to the parents is kind of a waste because they have very little control over their kids themselves.
KAV

Next

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues