SCHOOL BUS

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

SCHOOL BUS

Postby sdeackoff on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:26 pm

I agree with all of you up to a point. The original poster said that 3 (three) 4th grade boys were picking on a girl.

This is intolerable, is legally an assault, and amounts to gang activity that should be dealt with immediately, not ignored. Nor would I expect a 9 year-old girl to "stand up" to 3 boys.

These boys should be reported to the principal and a full investigation of the corroborating stories of the other children witnessing this assault. If verified, the boys should at a minimum be seperated into different classrooms at school and be required to take different buses or driven by their parents.

A 9 year old girl should never have to be subjected to an assault by 3 boys.
sdeackoff

SCHOOL BUS

Postby ELL on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:33 pm

What happened to zero tolerance? After Columbine we had all these parent information sessions about zero tolerance. Was this implemented and then lost or was it never implemented. My son is only in 1st grade but has already been picked on by 4th graders on his bus and hit more than once. I didn't know about it until much later so never really did anything about it - I told my son to let me know immediately next time. But I have another friend who sent his high school daughter to Catholic school because he said the kids are so disrespectful to each other and the teachers he didn't want his daughter attedning school here anymore. So what's up?
ELL

SCHOOL BUS

Postby krauseo on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:39 pm

I'm in Steve's corner on this one. One problem with zero tolerance policies is that sometimes the child who is defending him/herself often is the one who gets caught retaliating, branded as a troublemaker, and punished. This seems to be what happened to BIGCOUNTRY's older daughter. Instead of being praised for coming to the aid of her sister, she got punished. I heard a couple of other instances of this kind of injustice during the campaign this spring.

Like others here, I've told my children not to take it, to stand up for themselves, and that I'll stand by them. The best way to stop a bully is to knock him/her on his/her butt--it will stop that bully from bullying someone else, and it will keep the other bullies away from you. But, a three-on-one situation is hard to overcome, and in that case, you have to hope that the system will work, and that instead of just hearing and believing one side of the story, they will do the work needed to find out what really happened, and will punish the "real" aggressor(s), not the kids who get fed up, react, and defend themselves.
krauseo

SCHOOL BUS

Postby KAV on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:52 pm

I think I said this before, but riding the bus should be a privilege and not a right.

know of situations where a kid was kicked off the bus for being a total *&^hole - repeatedly - and the parent just says "I can't get my kid to school" and the town has to allow them back on the bus.

It's not fair to the rest of the kids to be subjected to the repeated bad behavior of the few jerks. I don't know how to change the rule, but it would solve a lot of problems on the busses.
KAV

SCHOOL BUS

Postby ELL on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:22 pm

Very timely article from CNN. I still say kids have a job to test the limits and adults have a job to create boundaries. The kids are doing their part. Unfortunately, the adults in charge aren't. I'm with the earlier post - bring back detention.
ELL

SCHOOL BUS

Postby dan_mazik on Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Laura:
I'm with the earlier post - bring back detention.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Laura, is that really true? Has our school system done away with detentions? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
dan_mazik

SCHOOL BUS

Postby dan_mazik on Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:56 pm

Thanks, Jules. I sure hope the other schools do too.
dan_mazik

SCHOOL BUS

Postby NayNay on Fri May 23, 2003 7:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NayNay:
:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the parents need to do something with there kids and not leave it to others.
NayNay

Previous

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues