Bus 22 Wynn Middle School

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby Unbelievable on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:49 am

I would like to know if any parents are receiving the same feedback from their kids as I am. This is what I have done regarding bus 22 the Bus Driver, Monitor, School, Transportation...Here is a letter I have written back in Sept.

Re: Bus number 22

Dear Mr. Libby

I am writing this letter in regards to bus number 22 or as you have told me listed as your bus 19 (Brown St. John W. Wynn Middle School) I have spoken to you twice already regarding these matters. I am very concerned about the safety of our children.

My concerns are as follows:

Bus driver slams on his brakes and all the children sway forward. There are children in the center aisle as this is happening. Not to mention what if in the winter time he hits ice or snow and slides.

Bus driver doesn’t let the children walk in front of the bus. They are scared to because he takes off so quick. Therefore, they cross from the back of the bus. This is very serious because as the bus starts off so does the cars behind it. One of the girls almost got hit 3 days in a row from this.

From what I hear from the children on this bus, the bus driver goes so fast around corners the children have to hold on or they fall out of their seats.

The children are fist fighting, throwing things out the windows, hanging out the windows waist deep and climbing/jumping over seats. This again is very serious with all of this going on how will the bus driver be able to concentrate on his driving not to mention him slamming on his brakes or starting to go again as this is happening.

I have called you on 4 occasions 2 of them we have spoken, I have called the police department on 3 occasions and they can’t seem to be on that street at that time. I have been to the John W Wynn School and have also spoken to someone. I know of two others from my neighborhood that has also called. One of them spoke to Mr. Donohue. As of yet the bus company claims they have not received any reports of these issues. Someone needs to take responsibility for the safety of our children. I will look forward to hearing from you on these issues and how to resolve them immediately before these children get seriously hurt.

CC: : Mr. McGuire
Mr. Donohue
Mr. Ware

Now what has happen since then.

1. The bus company claimed they didn't receive any complaints.
2. Mr Libby followed the bus and seen exactly what I have voiced my concerns on. Plus clocked the bus driver going 45 mph in a 25 mph zone.

3. They put on a bus monitor to control the kids however, She has made it worse. She has written kids up for totally opposite of what they have done. She has told the kids she can write what she wants to the Asst Principal will believe her over the kids. This is a true statement because I had a conversation with Mr Donahue when I called to let him know what this monitor was doing. According to Mr. Donahue he will believe the adult over the kids regardless if the adult is inaccurate. Mr Donahue also informed me because I was the only parent that has called again that my credability is no good anymore.

ex: child sitting on her leg her leg fell asleep so she got up for a quick second and was written up for standing. According to Mr Donahue she is suppose to be sitting on her behind at all times. My comment to this was do you honestly believe all kids sit on their behinds at all times?

Another young lady was written up for tripping another student. The next day the young lady asked the other young lady if she tripped her. Reply was " No, I tripped over a backpack"

A young man stood up and got out of his seat to let another young man out so he could get off the bus. He was written up and suspended off the bus.

This Bus driver and Monitor has threaten these kids on numerous accounts. They have told these kids to get lawyers they are going to file suit against them have them arrested, This last incident was The bus driver was going to call DSS and have them go to these kids homes.

I totally understand these kids are no angels and I understand that throwing things at the bus driver or monitor is totally unacceptable. But let me ask you all with the harrassment that these two people have given our kids in the past couple of months is it normal for them to rebell. No its not right and should not be acceptable however, what about the innocent kids. The ones that are sitting in the back of the bus with their friends and are being harrassed. You know I am at the bus stop every morning and afternoon. This monitor eyes my daughter from the time she stands up in the back of the bus to walk down the aisle, down the stairs and off the bus. I am at the point now I get out of my car and stand there so she can see me. Of course when she see's me standing there she turns her back. Is this because I am another adult and she knows I refuse to be bullied and harrass? Tell me the school has a zero tolerance for any students to bully or harrass other students does this not apply to the bus driver, monitor or the asst principal?

Mr Donahue had these kids write up all their complaints and concerns on paper. To my knowledge nothing has been done about this.

I will repeat myself and say that these kids are not angels but they are kids and they do have rights as human beings and that is not the way they are being treated.

They had a new monitor on the bus. I believe she started a couple of weeks ago. NOTHING has happened on the bus while she is there why? because of course she treats them like humans and the kids return that back to her.

Whats to say now and maybe I am pushing it a bit, but think about it. The next outburst of the kids, bus driver, monitor whats to say that bus doesnt hit something and our children gets hurt. In my opinion the bus driver should have been fired when he was clocked at going 45 mph and dropping some of the kids off about a half mile from the condo's just so that he doesn't run into the construction. That is telling me this man has no patience and I must say with a job that he has you need them.

On a final note: There is so many other things that I could tell you about my conversations with the Asst. Principal but I think for now we should think about if this doesn't stop and soon someone will get seriously hurt. Don't think about calling the school isn't going to do much you need to put everything in writing as I have learned sad but true. I personally think the school needs to get that bus driver off this route the monitor needs to come off of her power trip bullying harrassing kids kick and just maybe get a new monitor on that bus or better yet have the one that was replacing the first one a couple days a week. From what I understand she was great!!

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what we can do. As you can see I have done all I can to rectify these issues. We need to join together and protect our children. This is out of control and needs to be stopped before something drastic really happens.

Thank you for your time. Have a Good Day
Unbelievable

Postby keb70 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:46 pm

I live in that neighborhood! This driver has almost driven me off the road on a few occasions...I had no idea it was this bad! I don't have a child in the Wynn this year ( I did last year)Mr. Donohue is a real jerk! If I were you I would send a copy of that letter to the Safety Officer at the Tewksbury Police Station. This is a real safety issue and being a nurse I've seen the damage these types of accidents can cause, including death. It seems like this driver is rushing because of a tight schedule. Maybe we need another bus. YES, I know budget cuts! Well is it worth losing one of our children? I don't think so either. In addition to another bus this driver should most definetely be FIRED! ZERO TOLERANCE IS ZERO TOLERANCE no matter who, what, where or when! Where are the other parents of children on this bus? My children have always told me this type of information...Other children must be talking to their parents...My next door neighbor has an 7th Grader on that bus, I'm going to have her ask her son to see what he has to say.
keb70

Postby KAV on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:59 pm

"Help Me Hank!"
KAV

Postby swamper on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:52 pm

I agree, KAV! Isn't it sad that when issues in this town at many different levels/situations continually get "swept under the rug" or dismissed due to connections and the like, it usually takes "outside investigation/publicity" to get to the bottom of things. This bus situation isn't the first and unfortunately around HERE won't be the last. While we're on the subject, I've "heard" that the same Tewksbury boys athletes (young adults actually as they're over 18) involved and subsequently arrested for that rock throwing vandalism spree in Andover last summer...have recently been involved in some type of infractions at ULowell where they now attend. Instead of more SEVERE disciplinary action given the second offense, rumor has it that due to parental connections/involvements at a high level of the town sports hierarchy, they got yet another "wrist slap". Guess rules don't apply to the privileged/connected in town even when they're habitual screw-ups.
swamper

Postby worried on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:28 pm

My child is also on that bus. There have been problems since September with this driver.

A student decided to throw a snowball on the bus yesterday. The driver made the choice to stop the bus and call the police. I totally agree with that especially since I heard it wasn't the first time that it happened this week. What happened after the bus was stopped is what is completely unacceptable. After the police took names of the students who were in the back 5 or 6 rows (the direction of where the snowball originated) and left the bus, the driver started telling the kids that he was going to call DSS and have them taken away from their parents and that he also knew some cops who were going to have their parents arrested. My child was there when he was spewing those nasty statements so I know it to be true. Other kids on the bus are also claiming in the past that this driver has told the kids to have their parents hire some good lawyers if they have any complaints with him because he has the best lawyer around. My child didn't hear that but that's what everyone is being told.

There is a bus monitor on this route because of a few students who have causes problems in the past but she stood back and let him talk to the kids the way he did yesterday. What good is a monitor if she can't control the situation? There were a few students who were nervous and ended up in tears. I've been told by a few other parents in town that this driver has been pulled off of other routes because of complaints. He has been around 4 or 5 years. Why is he still driving a bus full of our children when he is obviously not a stable individual? Is there a shortage of drivers and they believe they have no choice but to keep him driving?
Is the town waiting for a disaster to happen?

The transportation dept and the Wynn school have both been notified by several parents of what happened yesterday. I hope they're not going to go the route of they believe the driver and not the students. Anyone who has a child on this bus route needs to get this bus driver removed from our buses. Please put something in writing to the school and to the transportation dept to start the process.

I also understand that there is a school committee meeting next week. I'd be willing to attend this meeting with any other parent on this bus route to get this ticking time bomb off of our buses.
worried

Postby tewksres477 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:17 pm

Holy cow!!!

who is this bus driver?? not bob, is it?
tewksres477

Postby Unbelievable on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:37 pm

I will be more than willing to attend that meeting. Let me know the date, time and place. I do believe we need alot more people than two to get these issues resolved. Please remember people these are our kids we are trying to keep safe. I don't know the bus drivers name he is probably in his 50's with white hair. I do know the monitors name but thats it sorry.
Unbelievable

Postby tjlmom2005 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:04 pm

tewks - i hope it wasnt bob - or we need to move him back to the Heath Brook if so! My youngest loved him, and now got his witchy replacement....ugh
tjlmom2005

Postby worried on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:36 pm

I'm not sure of his name. I was told his route was the North Street area last year for the middle school.

No one was nicer than Mrs. "B". The kids LOVED her.
worried

Postby Unbelievable on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:05 pm

I loved Miss B. I could put my kids on her bus and know no matter what would happen she would go over and beyond to keep them kids safe. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it on the news that the bus company fired her because she was taking time off to collect her sons belongings after he died in Iraq?
Unbelievable

Postby ptl438 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:32 pm

While we're on the subject, I've "heard" that the same Tewksbury boys athletes (young adults actually as they're over 18) involved and subsequently arrested for that rock throwing vandalism spree in Andover last summer...have recently been involved in some type of infractions at ULowell where they now attend. Instead of more SEVERE disciplinary action given the second offense, rumor has it that due to parental connections/involvements at a high level of the town sports hierarchy, they got yet another "wrist slap". Guess rules don't apply to the privileged/connected in town even when they're habitual screw-ups.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all this is not on topic! These young adults are no longer in the wynn middle school or riding a bus.
Second of all, before you go bashing anyone and/or spreading hurtful rumors you should double check your facts. It seems that sometimes you feel it is ok to throw your incinuations/rumors out there then get the facts.
None of these boys were involved in anything at ULowell. That is a fact.
I am sure that you nor your children have ever done anything hurtful or mean or broken any rules so you think you do not have to worry. Lets hope nobody decides to print incorrects, malicious,hurtful,false, statements about you just because they "heard it might be true".
It is so much easier for you to just throw out your garbage than find ut the truth before you slander other families. That stinks! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
ptl438

Postby Unbelievable on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 pm

These young adults are in middle school. So I guess I am a bit confused on what you are talking about. These comments that I have made are very true. If you watch the news you would know this. As far as throwing stones. Did you mention you lived in a glass house? This is the second comment that you have made. This is a very serious subject we are talking about and we are trying to avoid children getting hurt. I am very sorry if you don't understand that. These kids are not attending ULowell.
Unbelievable

Postby ptl438 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:04 am

this was in response to a previous off-topic rumor posted by swamper
ptl438

Postby Unbelievable on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:20 am

Thank you very much for clarifying. I was all confused. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Unbelievable

Postby swamper on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:53 am

Excuse me, but I was only drawing a parallel in terms of varied incidents involving students and such in town that are swept under the rug aside from the bus issue... sorry if I confused the original poster. These young adults were part of my child's graduated senior class so I AM familiar with the subject/students involved in the incident last summer. As to the "reliability of my source" it was from someone who also attends ULowell. That being said, IMO, "accountability" around here depends on "who you know" and certain individuals receive preferential treatment and I'll stand by THAT fact.
Re. attending the school committee mtg. you may want to check with someone on that as unless the policy has changed you would not be able to get up and speak to the issue if you weren't put on the agenda for that evening.
swamper

Next

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues