TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby MAMA on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:01 pm

What's the deal with these combo buses? I'm upset that my child is assigned to this type of bus (of course, I'm grateful that we have a bus, so PLEASE don't slam me!) I'd welcome comments from those that are familiar with this type of busing situation. Thanks!
MAMA

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby saa2 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 pm

My children have been doing it since my daughter was in 7th grade she now is in 10th and my son is going into 7th grade its fine. May seem over crowded at first but as most of the high school kids start participating in the sports and other activies the bus becomes less crowded. Never had an issue with my daughter on the bus
saa2

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby goggins06 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:10 pm

My kids did this too, also graduated last year and other starts highschool. It owrked fine, many of highschool kids stop using the bus. They drop kids at one school first then the other kids, vice cersa on the way home. never had an issue.
goggins06

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby MAMA on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm just feeling a little uneasy about my child's route and the fact that there will be High School kids on the bus, too. Nothing against High School kids, but, ummm, 12 year olds and 17 year olds are very different "creatures," am I right?!

The route necessitates my child being picked up 15 minutes earlier than kids in the "neighboring neighborhoods," involves more stops and more driving around than [some of] the other routes and then, to top it off, a trip to the High School before [finally!] getting to the Wynn to start the day. Oh well, it's not the end of the world . . .! Like I said, I'm grateful for the bus.

It does comfort me to know that others have had this same type of situation and that it worked out fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed and remain optimistic!

Thanks for listening!
MAMA

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby emma on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:04 am

Odds are there won't be many, if any, 17 year olds on the bus. They tend to drive themselves or hook a ride with a friend who has a car. My high schooler (entering her sophmore year) will be riding in with a neighbor this year.

I understand why you're feeling hesitant, though! It's hard enough sending them to middle school, let alone the thought of them mingling with high school kids! On that note, let me just say that I thought sending her to middle school was hard but sending her off to high school last year was just killer. It was the first First Day of School that I cried watching her go. It really is a giant leap of faith to let them go, isn't it?
emma

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby MAMA on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 pm

I understand why you're feeling hesitant, though! It's hard enough sending them to middle school, let alone the thought of them mingling with high school kids!

Yes, emma, that is exactly it! That is exactly how I feel!

We're moms ~ worrying and crying are part of the job description, right?!

I hope you and yours have a great school year!
MAMA

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby vzwgal on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 pm

I agree with you 100%!! My daughter started 7th grade this year and I was going to drive her in because I was not going to have her go on the bus just for that reason. Until I looked at the bus schedules and saw that on our route, it was just middle school only on our bus. But, I really don't think that they should have high schoolers with middle schoolers, there is just too much of an age difference, plus with some of the things you hear in the news, it just makes you cringe!!
vzwgal

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby vzwgal on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:10 pm

I just wanted to ask, what is the limit of kids on the buses out there, does anyone know?? On my daughters bus, she said that they are having to sit 3 to a seat which I am extremely upset about!! I had her count how many kids were on her bus today and there were a total of 55 this morning so before I contacted anyone I just wanted to know exactly how many were allowed, thanks!
vzwgal

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby Kat3kids on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:49 am

The seating capacity is written on each bus, outside right beside the door. Capacity is either 72 or 76, not sure which. 3 to a seat is not unusual, may be a bit uncomfortable, but not at all unsafe.
Kat3kids

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby ELLE on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:54 am

And before complaining just remember the alternative is no bus with no apologies. The school committee is doing everything they can to avoid fees - crowded buses is unavoidable.
ELLE

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby vzwgal on Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:35 pm

Maybe if the school dept didn't waste so much money there would be enough money for more buses. I am really sick of teachers crying poor mouth, when they are getting an automatic increase of 4-5% each year while the taxpayers who support the increases are only getting 2% if that! They are also getting a guaranteed pension which in the outside world most people are not! So, maybe if some of that was taken away there would be enough money for the kids!! I personally do not think 3 to a seat in the middle school is safe! Maybe elementary it's ok but certainly not middle school or high school, those kids are too big!!
vzwgal

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby bferrari on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:55 pm

I haven't seen a raise in years, don't know about the rest of you.
bferrari
Site Admin

TMHS & WMS COMBO BUSES

Postby townee on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 am

just for your information most school buses hold from k too 8th grade upto 71 students adult size 47 and up to 55 kids. or adults.
townee

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues