Driver's Ed

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Driver's Ed

Postby FredKruger on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:16 pm

I want to alert those interested in Driver's Education of a local business I just had a horrible experience with. The business is the Tewksbury Driving School, located at 101 Sesame St. I signed up my daughter when she turned 16, and the program advertises 6 driving lessons of 45 minutes each. The school somwhow forget to pick her up for the first lesson (waste of an afternoon). They never called, never apologized, and we could not get in touch with them. They finally called the next day, offered no reason and scheduled a different day/time. The next lesson, instead of lasting 45 minutes, they drove for 15 minutes, and the instructor said they would count it as 45. (Thanks for nothing, at least they showed up). The 5th lesson went like the first, they never showed up, never called, and wasted another afternoon for my daughter who would have been working.

All this would have been enough to question the business practices of this very unorganized operation, but what happened today provoked me to write this warning. Today was the day my daughter had her appointment to get her license. She had an 11:30 appointment at the registry, and we paid Tewksbury Driving School $50.00 to pick up my daughter and bring her for the road test. Well, you guessed it, they never showed, my daughter was in a panic, and she started frantically calling both parents trying to get a ride to the registry. Unbelievably, there was no call from the Driving School, an answering machine is the only option on the other end, and I still don't have a reason for the no show. Enough is enough!

Just as we use this forum to promote great businesses in town, like restuarants, etc., I also think this forum should be used to warn people of bad experiences with local businesses. I really wish someone had warned me of this awful local business before I gave them $400.00 of my hard earned money. Thank goodness my daughter came through and got her license, as I'm not sure how I would have dealt with the anger I felt toward this business if she had failed.
FredKruger

Driver's Ed

Postby Astle on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:57 pm

She should have called Tewksbury Transit. The woman who owns the driving school drives a school bus. Maybe she was making more money driving for them?
Astle

Driver's Ed

Postby pattycap on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:39 pm

well i ditto everything you said about the driving school -I feel that my daughter who has obtained her license got absolutely nothing from the school and was a total waste of $400 but more importantly she does not meet the state /registry requirements for class room training and on the road training..i have already told numerous people that i know it is convenient but your child does not get proper training at this facility
pattycap

Driver's Ed

Postby KAV on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Another note on driving schools. When you call and ask how much it is, be sure to find out what that fee includes.

I used Tri-Town in Billerica. I was told it was $399. I thought it to be expensive but didn't see much choice. Only right before her last driving lesson was I told by way of an "oh, by the way mom..." that there was another charge of $15. This charge is what the registry charges the driving school to file the paperwork showing your child completed drivers ed, thus enabling them to get their license and the "discount" on insurance. Tri-town, in turn, sticks it to the kids as a surprise charge. I feel they should have just been honest and charged $414 for the class upfront, which is what it ultimately cost. If you don't pay the $15 at the end, you may as well have not paid the $399 for the rest of the class because as far as the registry is concerned, until that $15 is paid with the paperwork, your kid didn't take the class.

The sneaking in the extra $15 at the end was a scam, in my opinion, but they know you have no choice but to pay it.

So for those of you looking for driving schools.... make sure the fee they charge you upfront includes all the classroom, driving hours and observations hours required by law as well as the $15 charge they have to pay the registry.

Before I was so rudely treated by Tri-town regarding their scamming the extra $15, I would have recommended them. But they are well aware they stick it to the parents after the fact and have no problem with doing so, so I do not recommend them.
KAV

Driver's Ed

Postby penelope2 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:41 am

any more experiences with this driving school? i just signed my son up there, and i'm not sure if i should cancel!!!
penelope2

Driver's Ed

Postby KAV on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 am

which driving school are you referring to?
KAV

Driver's Ed

Postby penelope2 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:46 pm

sorry 'bout that....i'm talking about tewksbury driving school.
penelope2

Driver's Ed

Postby TewksburyRedmen on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 pm

Hm. I must say that my daughter has had an incredibly positive experience at Tewksbury Driving School. She just finished up her classes at the school last week and she's taken a road lesson with no problems. I dare say that she has even come home and said that she's had a fun time at the driving school which, by the way, is located at 2297 Main Street, not 101 Sesame Street.

I don't know of any other driving school that teaches kids about the systems in the car and how to simply drive with respect. Some people in the neighborhood who have had their kids go to other schools have said that other driving schools will just have students watch movies... the ENTIRE time they are in class! These teenagers (friends of my daughter) have told me that they even see people sleeping throughout the class.

I definitely wouldn't want to be out driving on the same road as those kids, but on the other hand, I'm confident that Tewksbury Driving School has taught my daughter well.
TewksburyRedmen

Driver's Ed

Postby RayMcD on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi All,

First of all, I work closly with this school.

If anyone had any issues with this school then it would be good to know so we can fix this. There is an email address where you can email to ask info and let us know any issues. The school is checked by the state monthly and it does meet the specs everytime.

I agree alot of place will show you movies and nothing else. I was never told about how the car works and the parts inside when I took driver eds so many yrs ago.

I remember when I went to learn how to drive many yrs ago the driver ins I had fell alseep and when that happens you dont feel like you are getting the best for your money.

Mistakes can happen but we can do the best to make sure they dont happen again.

Please feel free to let me know if anyone else would like to let me know about any more issues.

Thanks
RayMcD

Driver's Ed

Postby rujoun1 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 pm

To Ray,

Which of the above driving schools were you referring to?
rujoun1

Driver's Ed

Postby Coll44 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:04 pm

Tewksbury Driving School is not the same as Tewksbury Transit - why does it continue to go under here. Tewksbury Transit provides the school transportation and is not in any way connected to this driving school...
Coll44

Driver's Ed

Postby whodat on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Anymore feedback/opinions on this organization (Tewks Driving School)? Thisclose to making a decision to get involved with them or look elsewhere. Tell me what you think.
whodat

Driver's Ed

Postby sportsfan on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 pm

1st class auto in Wilmington was great. They are across from Rocco's Restaurant. Great instruction. Great easy to make appointments for road lessons. Always on time. Price was lower than some and she does not expect full payment at the first class. You pay for each road lesson as you go. A 100% positive experience for my child. Very highly recommend them! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
sportsfan

Driver's Ed

Postby AverageGuy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Had exactly the opposite experience with 1st class in Wilmington. Would make appts at a certain time,not show up and claim that we made the mistake. All these appts were to be after school so it was definitely there mistake. Also shortened "1" hour driving and 1 instructor was very vulgar. The owner talked a great game but never lived up to her promises.
AverageGuy

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues