SPEEDING BUSES..WHERE ARE THE COPS?

Discussions about the town school transportation system.

Postby angel68 on Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:47 pm

Thursday, Feb. 7th, I witnessed several vehciles pass a stopped bus (Assuming it was middle school or highschool second run approx. 3;30) Blow by the stop sign while children were unloading and attempting to cross rte. 38. The saddest part about it, was one of Tewksbury's Finest lead the pack! Now I think the sign went up after the bus stopped and put the sign up but the police car DID slow down and then kept going. Several of us who witnessed this yelled to the police and vehicles that passed by but were not heard. Perhaps almost rear-ending the officer will keep these people's feet a little lighter on the pedal near bus times. BUT....

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, when leaving North Street School on Friday, just before 3:00, Bus #14 was doing ATLEAST 50MPH down North Street in the 20MPH zone! The lights were flashing and all. I know this because I sped up to the bus to see how fast it was going. Because the school is not too far from the Chandler intersection, one can only assume (or pray) that as I caught up to the bus, it was preparing to slow down. My children's comments "That's why we don't like the bus...it goes too fast!!"
angel68

Postby curiousintewksbury on Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:45 pm

Speeding buses? How about speeding cars?
I would love to see a speed trap on Chandler
@ Indian Hill. The kids walking in the street off the buses (NO SIDEWALKS, of course) are at such risk of getting killed.
I don't see many speed traps anymore? WHY,
Tewksbury doesn't seem to be a high crime area? It even gets better when the snow banks are four feet high and they have to walk in the middle of the street while cars speed by @ 50 mph plus! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
curiousintewksbury

Postby tjlmom2005 on Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:56 pm

It is NUTS - we live by the Heath Brook, and Shawsheen Speedway keeps getting worse and worse...it's insane to pull out of my driveway in the morning and IMMEDIATELY have a car on my bumper that wasnt even in sight when I pulled out of my road...I grew up in Burlington and most streets that had schools on them had speed bumps...kind of makes sense to have them doesnt it?
tjlmom2005

Postby duffyhouse on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:01 am

Add North St. Highway to the list! And with Ames Run and the Ames Affordable project adding another 700-800 more cars on our streets.

Re Shawsheen Speedway, add on Salem and all the roads that dump into them, the 800-1000 more cars per day that the proposed Mills Mall will bring.

And our town can't afford sidewalks. Just one more perk our Town Officials did not negotiate into that farce of a Mills Development Agreement.
duffyhouse

Postby swamper on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:02 am

Exactly! With traffic situations being as bad as they are ALREADY...common sense says this will only be COMPOUNDED with the additional cars in your scenarios which could become reality in the not so distant future. But don't worry, we can always count on that additional ambulance we got out of the GREAT MILLS DEAL to take up the slack in the event of more accidents! Not to mention that discounted frozen water time! What great negotiators we have! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
swamper

Postby JJH83 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Call the safety officer at the police dept. and request radar at these locations.
JJH83

Postby duffyhouse on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:20 am

When I first found this site, my first issue was the speeding school buses-especially the ones I was seeing speeding thru the 20 MPH flashing school zone signs in front of the North St. school! I must have called Tewksbury Transit 20 times, before I started seeing the buses slowing down. I also got the safety officer involed back then too, and the police dept. DID put one of those signs out in front of the North St. school that registers and posts how fast an oncoming car is going. It helped for awhile, but after the awareness levels off, the speeds increase.

So just a suggestion-this is what I did to get "results" a few years back. Keep Tewksbury Transits phone number with you in your car and/or on your speed dial on your cell phone. And when you are behind one of those speeding buses, get the bus number and call the Transit Co. at that moment. Then keep a record of the date, the bus number, the location of the speeding offense, and the name of who you spoke to at the Transit Co. IMO, it is time to "increase the awareness" with the transit company re its drivers and their unsafe driving. If you don't see any improvement after talking with the Transit Co. ( I am not sure if Andy LaFortune is still in charge), then involve the police dept.

The phone number for Tewksbury Transit is:
978-851-9863.
duffyhouse

Postby duffyhouse on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:46 am

FYI...looking thru old posts in this forum about the issue of speeding buses-this from Dennis Peterson, our Police Officer and member of the School Committee:

..." posted 11-15-2001 03:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE GOTTEN SEVERAL COMPLAINTS ABOUT SPEEDING BUSES AND DRIVERS TALKING ON THE CELL PHONES, WHILE OPERATING THE BUSES. IT'S BAD ENOUGH TO SEE HOW ABSENT MINDED PEOPLE ARE WHILE DRIVING AND TALKING ON CELL PHONES. IT REALLY CONCERNS ME WHEN YOU ADD SEVERAL STUDENTS ON A SCHOOL BUS. I HAVE RAISED THIS ISSUE (NOV. 14, 2001) AND EXPECTED ALL DRIVERS TO BE NOTIFIED OF OUR CONCERNS. IF YOU SEE VIOLATIONS OCCURING PLEASE CONTACT OFF. WARREN OR MYSELF WITH THE BUS NUMBER AND LOCATION OF THE OFFENSE. MOST OF THE DRIVERS HAVE A GENUINE CONCERN FOR THE SAFTEY OF THE CHILDREN AND ARE DEDICATED EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE A DIFFICULT JOB.
DENNIS PETERSON "

IMO, I am sure that if you contact the Transit Co, and/or involve our Police Dept. about this issue, we will see results. Unfortunately, it is like most speeding issues, unless the awareness is continous, and enforcement is continous, speeders will continue to speed.
duffyhouse

Postby keb70 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:30 pm

Speaking of speading school buses...I almost got run off the road this morning by the Wynn School bus on Beach Street on it's way to the bus stop at Beach and Coolidge! My kids were so shocked they actually commented (they are 9 and 10) It made me realize that my kids ride with these UNSAFE drivers! VERY SCARY!
keb70

Postby SAL534 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:48 pm

This morning aprox 7:00am going down Beech Street around Driftwood. I had to pull over to the side and almost was ran off the road by a bus that I think was an out of town bus. The bus read T-6 on the bumper. Is it a backup bus or something. It was going at least 45-50 down Beech I turned around to make sure it wasnt my daughters bus abd luckily it turned out not to be. I will be sure to call and report it next time.
SAL534

Postby keb70 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAL534:
This morning aprox 7:00am going down Beech Street around Driftwood. I had to pull over to the side and almost was ran off the road by a bus that I think was an out of town bus. The bus read T-6 on the bumper. Is it a backup bus or something. It was going at least 45-50 down Beech I turned around to make sure it wasnt my daughters bus abd luckily it turned out not to be. I will be sure to call and report it next time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be wrong but the bus I think your talking about is the Shawsheen Tech bus.
keb70

Postby vzwgal on Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:02 am

My daughters bus from the Ryan flies down Brown St. So that when he gets to our street to drop off the kids, I don't even know how he can stop!! I cannot believe that there aren't more cops around to give these people tickets! I know one of the times there was a cop right there and he saw him and did nothing! So, it looks like it doesn't help to get them involved.
vzwgal

Postby jaredXwoodsman on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Ever since I can remember being on a bus when I went to school, now graduated ect, bus drivers have been driving fast. It's a common thing for them to do. It not only puts drivers and peds in danger but the children too. The problem is some or most of them don't care and just want to get the route done. It's a shame.
jaredXwoodsman

Postby clifford on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Our Ryan bus flies too. By the time they get to the end of the route, which is us, the smell of rubber from those brakes is extremely strong. He flies from stop to stop and the kids almost fall down he takes off so fast from the stop. They don't get a chance to get to a seat Calls have been made to the school and bus co. but nothing has changed.
clifford

Postby tmpenz64 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:54 pm

My kids are on the Ryan and Wynn bus they think its funny how they fal off their seats when the bus goes over a bump, are we waitin for someone to get hurt b4 we pay attention. Can we get the cops out of DD and on the streets
tmpenz64

Next

Return to Tewksbury Transit Issues