Dog license racketeering

Discussions of what any "conflicts of interest" in town. Business owners involved in town politics and not disclosing facts such as this, etc.

Dog license racketeering

Postby theWindMachine on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am

Don't forget to go down to the Town Hall and buy your doggie's protection by handing over your money directly to the Town Clerk, which goes directly in their pocket. Just so the dog catcher who never answers his phone won't capture your dog and kill it.

What a racket.
theWindMachine

Re: Dog license racketeering

Postby grandmasboys on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Does it really matter whether your dog has a license or not. They are still picked up and shipped to THEIR vet hospital. Then after 10 days destroyed. If someone knows anything different, let me know. Remember, animal control is a part time service, although it is a full time position.
grandmasboys

Postby Little Willie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:07 pm

people please get your facts straight before you come on here and spew. Both of you have incorrect facts in your statements. This town clerk does not pocket fees. It goes into general fund. The animal control position is a full time job but the position is animal control/ parks so he does multiple things for town. Get off your butt and call town hall to verify before you put wrong info here.
Little Willie

Postby elfling8 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I have heard that the new animal control officer is much better than the previous one. I do wish they would make people license their cats as well, seems unfair to us dog owners. I can't tell you how many roaming cats poop in my yard..... I would love to see a real reason why we do have to license the dogs.
elfling8

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:20 pm

theWindMachine wrote:Don't forget to go down to the Town Hall and buy your doggie's protection by handing over your money directly to the Town Clerk, which goes directly in their pocket. Just so the dog catcher who never answers his phone won't capture your dog and kill it.

What a racket.

I thought I heard that she has volunteered to remit that to the town. Not sure your facts are correct.
Tewksbury2001

Postby towniegirl on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Willie, this was a hot button issue during the last election for Town Clerk. I remember candidates saying that they were going to forgo the pocketing of fees. You Willie should get your facts straight.
towniegirl

Postby LMNOP on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 pm

towniegirl wrote:Willie, this was a hot button issue during the last election for Town Clerk. I remember candidates saying that they were going to forgo the pocketing of fees. You Willie should get your facts straight.

Mass General Law states the Town Clerks can personally keep up to .75 cents on each dog license that is issued. Our town bylaw states that following

The Board of Selectmen shall determine certain salaries or expenses that may not be funded with this fund but must be appropriated through the usual municipal financing procedure, and such determination shall be binding on this administration of this fund by the Treasurer/Collector. The Town Clerk shall receive a fee as stipulated in Section 147 (CH.140,MGL). (Art. 21, ATM 1997)

Curently dog license fee is $15 and Town Clerk does not take a fee at all so the town receives the entire $15. Here is the article in the Patch that you must have missed.

http://tewksbury.patch.com/articles/doe ... g-licenses

You must be mistaken this for the former town clerk. Dog license fee of $15 but personally collected $1.50 so the town recevied $13.50. This was blatantly violating Mass General Law which allows up to .75 cents SO in essence was stealing from the residents and the town. Keep bringing it up so the proper authorities can investigate and have the former Town Clerk pay back all the extra money she received on her monthly stipend for three years.
LMNOP

Postby Little Willie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 pm

got that Towniegirl? Get off your butt and go down to the TM's office and ask yourself. I wasn't commenting on previous town clerk. She helped herself. Awaiting your apology.
Little Willie

Postby towniegirl on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

So the rest of the money stolen by the previous Town Clerk, will that be returned to us or the Town?

Have to love the racket working for the Town. Get caught breaking the law and nothing happens. Oh and on top of that you are legally entitled to an extra cut just for the hell of it. If our current Town Clerk isn't taking the money than good on her. Why is such a law on the books anyway? Isn't having lifetime employment and endless benefits enough?
towniegirl

Postby bkhote on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

Do they provide receipt of your payment?
--BK
bkhote

Postby Little Willie on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

I could not answer that but every other transaction down there gets reciepts. I don't know why that wouldn't.
Little Willie

Postby cjsmom on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 pm

I believe the licensing has to do with monitoring that dogs are up-to-date on their shots, in case someone was bitten. No one wants to have to get rabies shots, believe me.
cjsmom

Postby grandmasboys on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Yes, they do give a receipt, it is your dogs license
grandmasboys

Return to Conflicts of Interest