The Castle

Discussions of what any "conflicts of interest" in town. Business owners involved in town politics and not disclosing facts such as this, etc.

The Castle

Postby Dick M on Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:55 am

theWindMachine
Member # 671
posted 09-29-2002 05:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how long will the "castle" up on Catamount hill be rented illegally? Indelicato hasn't paid off the right people obviously...."

Suprise, Catamount has its sewerline, new drainage and street. Don't be suprised if the Town loses. This sewerline gave John D. and his daddy Kevin their sewer plus it also delivered sewer to daddy Kevin's son Paul's boss at the Lowell Sun. Think hard a couple of our Selectmen had themselves appointed to some kind of a street paving committee. Voila, one Selectmen got his sewer that we know of along with several of our Town Officials. This in spite of the fact and ahead of some streets that had already had the designs done.

Now the Building Commissioner has a list of condemmed properties going out. You can bet the "Castle" isn't one of them. Hey, what would it have cost the Sullivan's for sewer up there?

The nasty part is that at the same time our Town Manager was letting South Tewksbury linger underwater.
Dick M

The Castle

Postby S_Ringwood on Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:35 pm

I've seen that castle you're talking about. But I heard a rumor it's haunted
S_Ringwood

The Castle

Postby dougsears on Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:24 pm

Historical note: its original owner is the only resident of Tewksbury ever to be governor of Mississippi -- Gen. Ames -- whose family had the shovel contract for the Union army in the Civil War.
dougsears

The Castle

Postby LilIodine on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:41 am

Butler, Benjamin Franklin (1818-1893) -- also known as Benjamin F. Butler -- of Lowell, Middlesex County, Mass. Father-in-law of Adelbert Ames; grandfather of Butler Ames. Born in Deerfield, Rockingham County, N.H., November 5, 1818. Member of Massachusetts state house of representatives, 1853; member of Massachusetts state senate, 1859; delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1860; general in the Union Army during the Civil War; U.S. Representative from Massachusetts, 1867-75, 1877-79 (5th District 1867-73, 6th District 1873-75, 7th District 1877-79); defeated, 1874; Governor of Massachusetts, 1883-84; defeated, 1878, 1879, 1883; Greenback candidate for President of the United States, 1884. Died while attending court in Washington, D.C., January 11, 1893. Interment at Hildreth Cemetery, Lowell, Mass. See also: congressional biography.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LilIodine

The Castle

Postby damgaardws on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:16 am

Just curious...does anyone know how many units are actually being rented there?

The current tax assessment listing for the Ames Mansion specifies that it's a "Converted Residence" and use is "Apt over 8."

Assessment Link - 108 Catamount Rd.
damgaardws

The Castle

Postby Perrilaxe on Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:43 am

Does this "apartment over 8" mean that the Town of Tewksbury doesn't know how many apartments are in the old Ames Castle? When and who issued the building permits for all these apartments?

This converted residence was a nursing home for years prior to the Sullivan's purchasing Ames Castle.
Perrilaxe

The Castle

Postby damgaardws on Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:10 am

Good question!
Does anybody know what "apt. over 8" actually stands for? Are there more than 8?

I would also like to know if they are in deed LEGAL apartments according to the current building and safety laws (E.g. fire walls, etc.) and are they periodically re-inspected?

When I first moved to Tewksbury I was not familiar with the history behind the castle other than knowing it was a landmark and saw pictures of it posted in townhall.

Now that I come to live by it, it's a discrace that the Sullivans have allowed this once wonderful landmark sadly become an eye sore.
damgaardws

The Castle

Postby emma on Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:43 am

I had the pleasure of opposing a Sullivan construction project about four years ago. I learned one thing from that experience... the Sullivans don't give a rat's behind about the people who live in the neighborhoods they want to build in. After months of planning board hell, where we PROVED beyond a shadow of a doubt that things were done dubiously (land being trucked in to fill the lots BEFORE the perk tests...just one example) the subdivision was approved. Trees that were supposed to be left standing were razed. The response was "Oops...can't fix that now."

A blasting permit was needed to blast away the ledge at this location. We were NEVER informed that the blasting would be taking place. Nobody inspected our homes before or after to see if damage was done. I lived less than 200 feet away from this zone and found out blasting was beginning when the first explosion happened. Pictures rattled clear off of my walls, my Poland Springs water bubbler fell down, and my dog had a panic attack and ran away. Of course we complained, and everybody we complained to passed the buck until I ended up with Mr. Cressman on the phone...who of course passed the buck back to the guy who'd passed the buck to him in the first place.

Needless to say, the project continued, blasting went on for two weeks, and not a single neighbor was left without some kind of stress related symptom - hair loss, diarreah, quicker tempers, you name it. YOU try living in a house where the walls shake and you hear a sonic boom every 20 minutes for two weeks. The floor in my garage ended up with a gaping crack in it, but because nobody had done the proper inspections, I couldn't prove it was blasting related. So, I was stuck with the repair cost and the inspection we had to have to make sure our foundation was secure. The blasting also released ground gases, like radon, making it unusable for anything other than watering the lawn. Without town water, they had to dig a new well. Again, because inspection rules weren't followed, they couldn't prove it was blasting related.

My point is, the Sullivans don't give a RIP about the people they make neighbors out of. Be grateful all you have is an eyesore and you're not living in a blasting zone.
emma

The Castle

Postby dougsears on Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:44 am

Feds: Fat chance diet product worked for DJs

by Greg Gatlin
Monday, January 6, 2003

From Phoenix to Dallas to Boston, disc jockeys and radio personalities trumpeted the Body Solutions weight loss formula as an easy way to slim down while sleeping.

Some went so far as to claim on the air that they'd dropped dozens of pounds while feasting on pizza, beer, nachos and doughnuts - all without exercising or dieting.

Federal regulators say that claims made by many broadcasters were bogus, however.

Locally, WBZ radio talk show host Paul Sullivan pitched the product, saying he did indeed lose 20 pounds - but he added that he could not say for sure if Body Solutions did the trick. Sullivan said he collected $2,000 per six months of endorsements.

Last week, a federal judge froze the assets of the owners of the San Antonio, Texas, company that makes Body Solutions Evening Weight Loss Formula. That move came after the Federal Trade Commission sued the product's maker, Mark Nutritionals Inc., last month.

A judge also barred the marketers from claiming, without backing the claim with scientific evidence, that Body Solutions helps dieters lose weight. The FTC says the product doesn't cause weight loss without diet and exercise.

Sullivan, a nighttime host on WBZ-AM (1030), said that changing his eating habits may have had more to do with his weight loss than Body Solutions. ``Behavior is 99 percent of weight loss,'' he said.

Sullivan stopped promoting the product because he said he couldn't claim to have lost more than 20 pounds. Mark Nutritionals pushed hard for more dramatic testimonials, he said.

Still, Sullivan said, he has no plans to give the money back or donate it. ``I'm going to spend it,'' he said.

At least he got paid.

Infinity Radio, a unit of Viacom Inc., which runs radio stations including WBZ, is among the big broadcasters that have sued Mark Nutritionals for a reported $10 million in unpaid advertising bills.

Lyndon Byers, a disc jockey with WAAF-FM (107.3) was among those who promoted the formula, said Keith Hastings, program director. Byers, a former Boston Bruin hockey player, was in jail last week, serving a 60-day sentence for driving with a suspended license, said Jimmie Vereault, the station's head of advertising sales.

``I've not been made aware of details, but I'm sure I'll follow up,'' Hastings said of the Body Solutions flap.

Since 1999, Mark Nutritionals has sold more than $190 million worth of Body Solutions products, using endorsements from popular radio personalities on more than 650 stations nationwide, the FTC said.

Mark Nutritionals sought bankruptcy protection in September. Since then, the company said, it has hired new managers, changed its marketing and agreed to restrictions on testimonials.

Since 1999, many DJs offered amazing accounts of what Body Solutions could do.

``I ate so much over Thanksgiving, I still have turkey burps,'' raved Jeff Kaye with KKMR in Dallas. He claimed to have lost 36 pounds, the FTC said in court papers.

``So bring it on, grandma. The honey-baked ham, the apple pie, the Christmas cookies. I'm not afraid, because I've got Body Solutions Evening Weight Loss Formula,'' he told listeners in 2000.

Sullivan said he found some claims ``appalling.'' But not his own.

``They were outrageous,'' he said of others' claims. ``People would say you could eat a quart of ice cream. Our text was completely different.''

He said he stuck to talking about personal experience. As a nighttime talk show host, he'd developed a habit of eating at night.

``The gist of my pitch was, three hours before you go to bed, stop eating, take the formula, drink a large glass of water, and the weight will come off,'' Sullivan said. ``I looked at it as like drinking a glass of grapefruit juice - something that would keep the system going but not caloric. I don't know what's in it.''

The maker says it's a blend of collagen, aloe vera, trace minerals and conjugated linoleic acid.

Meanwhile, the FTC is asking the media to better scrutinize claims they are asked to make on behalf of manufacturers, said Deborah Dawson, a senior lawyer with the commission.

Peter Casey, director of news and programming for WBZ News Radio, said the station's commentators are allowed to make endorsement testimonials, while its news people are barred. ``We'll look into advertisers' copy when they make a claim . . . that jumps off the pages at us as worthy of further validation,'' he said.

Donna Halper, a radio consultant and historian who lectures on media ethics, says she has a ``real ethical dilemma'' with news personalities doing product testimonials. ``To me it crosses the line to have your personalities, particularly
dougsears

The Castle

Postby damgaardws on Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:15 am

Emma,
I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you were faced with from all of that blasting...I would have been BS too!

I am greatful that I only deal with an eyesore (your point was well taken).

When my husband and I first purchased our home the town made us jump through hoops to make an in-law apartment in our home LEGAL by replacing a wall with a fireproof wall, removing a door, etc. and it frustrates me that the town allows the Sullivans to rent illegal apartments, let alone destroy a town landmark.

It's the principal behind it that causes my disappointment, especially when the rest of us are forced to comply with code.

Enough said, have a wonderful Monday everyone!
damgaardws

The Castle

Postby emma on Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by catamount:
Emma,
I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you were faced with from all of that blasting...I would have been BS too!

I am greatful that I only deal with an eyesore (your point was well taken).

When my husband and I first purchased our home the town made us jump through hoops to make an in-law apartment in our home LEGAL by replacing a wall with a fireproof wall, removing a door, etc. and it frustrates me that the town allows the Sullivans to rent illegal apartments, let alone destroy a town landmark.

It's the principal behind it that causes my disappointment, especially when the rest of us are forced to comply with code.

Enough said, have a wonderful Monday everyone!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes...I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply that my issues were greater than yours. They are not. You have to live next to the eyesore and see it daily. You have every right to be upset. I just wanted to share my Sullivan-related hell.

We also tried to get a permit to build an addition to our home when we found out we were expecting our third child. By the time we were finished jumping through the town's hoops, the addition went from a $70,000 job to a $120,000 job. We were unwilling to put that kind of money into it since we didn't think our neighborhood would have that kind of resale, so we moved instead.

I remember feeling frustrated about being dickered over how many bathrooms I was allowed to have or what walls could go where when the Sullivan's were allowed to blast my house off the foundation without so much as a warning.

You're right...it's not right what they get away with while the rest of have to juggle six different things and hop a few hoops at the same time. I am seriously regretting our decision to stay in Tewksbury when we sold our house. Dunstable is looking good these days.
emma

The Castle

Postby abc123 on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:53 pm

I don't think the the castle is haunted but I have heard that it is infested with bugs. You think that he is illegally renting apartment out of there you are right. From what I have seem he has redone the carriage house and made numerous apartment in there WITHOUT towns approved. He has also hired a construction company to dig a trench and installed a well. Probably not telling the town to get cheaper prices.
abc123

Return to Conflicts of Interest