Is this a conflict?

Discussions of what any "conflicts of interest" in town. Business owners involved in town politics and not disclosing facts such as this, etc.

Is this a conflict?

Postby carz on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Hello, My name is Dale Lawrie, for those of you who don't know me, I recently purchased an existing business (R&R Automotive). The previous owner worked on town vehicles sent to him from the D.P.W. when they needed a specialty they were unable to do there. After taking over the business, the Town Manager immediately stopped the D.P.W. from sending me work because I work as a Firefighter in the town and he believes this to be either a conflict or a violatiion of the code of conduct. From what I am told most of this stuff is now being sent to dealerships and I am sure is being billed at a rediculous rate. Mr. Creesman's response is that he is looking out for me and if the town needs to spend more, so be it. I understand it would be wrong to work on any Fire Dept. vehicles as that may be seen as a conflict. Please be gentle on me, I am just a small business owner trying to survive. Not sure if this should be here or under fiscal? Anyway thanx for any imput in advance
Dale
carz

Is this a conflict?

Postby Omniview on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:45 pm

It sounds like Cressman actually made the right decision, for once. You may not have intended it to be a conflict but it sure sounds like one to me. You are better off without it, just my humble opinion.

Omni.
Omniview

Is this a conflict?

Postby carz on Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:47 am

thanks omni
carz

Is this a conflict?

Postby grimace on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:00 am

hey carz, sounds like cressman is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong again!! You are right if you work for the fire dept you shouldn't touch that stuff at all, but if the business already did the dpw's work and it was cost effective than I don't see a problem with that. as far as I'm concerned what you do out of uniform is your business, to a point. I think cressman should look at the big picture and see that sending the equipment to a local place that has been servicing it already is a smart move. why penalize a local firefighter just trying to run a private business?
grimace

Is this a conflict?

Postby carz on Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:55 pm

mall, thank you. I wish I busier and would'nt care but as any business owner (espeacially just starting out) would do, I need all the work we can get and having this taken away from the shop does stink.
carz

Is this a conflict?

Postby KissMeKate on Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:42 pm

Yes, I agree the town mgr has it right for once. The town adopted a code of ethics some time ago and the manager is the enforcing agent. I believe there is a process in place for cases such as Carz has. It involves appearing before the Selectmen and asking to be granted special employee status. And don't get me started on that topic---it always seems to benefit the employee more than the town.
Carz may be great at what he does, his work may be more cost effective, and the business he bought may have previously held the contract, but without being granted special status, it is a conflict of interest. Not to say he couldn't do contract work for Tyngsborough or Littleton or Salem NH, just not Tewksbury.
What I find interesting is how the town manager picks and chooses which conflicts of interest to investigate or pursue.
There are plenty of cases of town employees and officials throwing their weight around looking for special favors and the manager just looks the other way.
KissMeKate

Is this a conflict?

Postby KAV on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:29 am

Interesting... I would see it as a conflict if it were a DPW person who owned the company... if carz can justify that he offers better pricing, then he should get the work - or at least the opportunity to bid on the work.

With the other service centers in town, why did they switch to a dealership?
KAV

Is this a conflict?

Postby R.S.V.P on Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Average:
There's a delay between when I push the pedal and when it responds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like your clutch is suffering from a condition of male menopause (Andropause), caused by a decline in hormones. For men those hormones are testosterone, thyroid, human growth hormone (HGH) and DHEA. Male hormones start to decline in the mid-twenties and effects can usually be felt by age 35. Every man will become andropausal. Symptoms of andropause can be easily corrected by replacing lost hormones.

Symptoms:
-Decreased mental quickness and sharpness
-Decreased energy, strength and endurance
-Less desire for activity and exercise
-Decreased muscle and increased body fat
-Mild to moderate depression and irritability
-Depression and/or loss of eagerness and enthusiasm for daily life
-Decreased sex drive
-Decreased sexual function and/or sensitivity
R.S.V.P

Is this a conflict?

Postby tigerchief on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:30 pm

"Symptoms:
-Decreased mental quickness and sharpness
-Decreased energy, strength and endurance
-Less desire for activity and exercise
-Decreased muscle and increased body fat
-Mild to moderate depression and irritability
-Depression and/or loss of eagerness and enthusiasm for daily life
-Decreased sex drive
-Decreased sexual function and/or sensitivity"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......this might explain some of ol'tiger's mood lately.....

At 52, I'm now recognizing the symptoms of #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #8....when #7 kicks in....look out!!!!!....ol tiger's gonna be one mean and nasty cowboy!!!!!!!
tigerchief

Is this a conflict?

Postby swamper on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

....a bit too much information there tiger... [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
swamper

Is this a conflict?

Postby R.S.V.P on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:23 pm

Tigerchief is just being honest.
(I don't think he has Symptom #1, someone else can comment on the others) [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
R.S.V.P

Is this a conflict?

Postby Joe Average on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:07 am

I personally like the idea of 'special town employee' and suggest investigating this. If you do look into it, please keep us posted.

Also, if you would post your business name and address again, I'm willing to give you a try. My truck needs a clutch adjustment. There's a delay between when I push the pedal and when it responds.
Joe Average

Return to Conflicts of Interest