NEW TEWKSBURY BUILDING INSPECTOR

Discussions of what any "conflicts of interest" in town. Business owners involved in town politics and not disclosing facts such as this, etc.

Postby Lilbigmouth on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:48 pm

The town is looking to hire a new building commisioner.Word is,they have formed an interview commitee that is possibly comprised of a few town officials and the biggest developer in Tewksbury, also Andovers building commisioner.
1-Seems to me having any developer or builder on the interview commitee is a huge conflict of interest
2- Why do we need to pay another towns commisioner to interview for us,especially when those $$ could be used other places?
This is Cressman at it again, trying to put his pawn in place. A quick call to a local town who just hired a new building commisioner revealed they set up an interview commitee of town officials
outgoing building commisioner
community development head
deputy fire chief
town engineer
finance dept head
Why doesn't our town do things the right way??
Lilbigmouth

Postby flcon on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Its good old boys network at its best.
He most likely has his new pawn all
set up and going through these interviews just so any of the other
candidates do not have any
legal recourse.
flcon

Postby sean_czarniecki on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 am

"Why do we need to pay another towns commisioner to interview for us,especially when those $$ could be used other places?"

Just as an FYI, it is my understanding that we don't pay for someone from another town to assist us with an interview of this nature (I could be wrong, but that is my understanding). It is basically an opportunity for neighboring towns to work together and to have someone who performs the job to be asking questions that others may not.
sean_czarniecki

Postby Lilbigmouth on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:13 am

Sean Thanks for the update but may I ask why the outgoing commisioner doesn't handle this task,as I am told happens in other communities? It stands to reason he knows more about the makeup of our town and how the dept functions.And what about having a local developer being asked to be on the interview commitee? Why??
Lilbigmouth

Postby Zeebamom on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 am

If that is indeed the makeup of our committee what can be done about it? Is there an outside (state?) agency that can look at this "old boy" stuff that keeps going on in this town? I'm sure it isn't illegal to have a builder involved in interviewing but it sure doesn't seem right. What is wrong with the selectmean/woman who were going to bring change from this same old same old??
Zeebamom

Postby nana8again on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:08 am

Be thankful the "Assistant" building inspector will be gone!!!!
nana8again

Postby sean_czarniecki on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:59 am

Let me just add that this is likely just a preliminary screening committee to determine who might be best for a second interview. This has been done in the past to get all sides asking questions of the person and giving different scenarios that he/she may have to react to. The number of candidates is then whittled down to 2 or 3 who would be invited back for the second interview (which wouldn't include a developer).
sean_czarniecki

Postby flcon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Nana8again,
What do you mean "Be thankful the "Assistant" building inspector will be gone!!!! I hope you are right, this guy dosn't have a clue.
flcon

Postby CryFowler on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 am

I don't see a problem with having a builder involved with this process seeing how they would have some actual experience in this area. As long as they are mixed in with other types of people that is.

Rumor has it that Stan Folta who is on the Conservation Commission, has his name in for the job. No wonder he's been approving projects as if there was no tomorrow. Of course that is only my humble opinion. How will he be in this new position? Will he bend over backwards in favor of development in that capacity as well?
CryFowler

Postby Tiny Dancer on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Where is the present building inspector going? Is he retiring?
Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiff on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 pm

Yes, The buliding inspector is retiring.
Tiff

Postby tewksres477 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm

So, is that Johnson or the head guy that is retiring?
tewksres477

Postby Tiff on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:38 am

Mr. Coluntouni (SP???) is retiring
Tiff

Postby Lilbigmouth on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:36 pm

So let me see if I got this straight. Instead of just handing over the reigns to the asst inspector, we are goint to possibly hire a new commissioner and put an end to the job title asst inspector, or local inspector. In doing so,we will be on the hook for the new guys salary, health benefits, pension, etc.. all the while paying out accrued sick leave,retirement and health plan to the asst who has filed for retirement on the news that the job was being posted and he might not get it. Oh and have to pay someone else to do weights and measures for the town, which the asst inspector now does in addition to his other duties.Oh and the asst got a 3.5% raise that was bargained in when you apply for retirement!! Does this make fiscal sense?? To Dave Cressman it does. One of his buddies will be first in line for that job if the selectman don't smarten up. It will be way cheaper for the town to just let the asst take over down there. We would be crazy to hire someone else for that job. Someone else would also be crazy to transfer from another inspectors job to this mess and fiasco the town is in!!!
Lilbigmouth

Postby CryFowler on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 pm

Don't forget Dr Christine McGrath's rumored retirement next year? This after an incredible 21 percent raise. How's that for bumping up salaries in the last three years before retirement to get the big pension. Welcome to Massachusetts. Now I know why she didn't go to North Andover.

Our taxes will continue to go up even more now.
CryFowler

Next

Return to Conflicts of Interest