HEADS UP @ MAY 2017 TOWN MTG.!

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

Re: HEADS UP @ MAY 2017 TOWN MTG.!

Postby swamper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 am

Harry....I agree with your points, I can't see throwing more money at the Town Center....that ship has sailed....too many properties involved to be able to 'create' what they want. 'One' suggestion that told me they haven't a CLUE about the traffic back up there, was their idea to CLOSE the one way branch of East St. (after taking a right off of North) to Rt.38 heading toward Lowell, the goal being to make that 'greenspace' (where the marquee is) larger and traffic flow smoother. Instead they would add a new right hand turn lane at the intersection of Main and Pleasant. HUH??? Can you imagine the bottleneck that would create to add a few feet of greenspace which makes absolutely NO sense as they would have to WIDEN for two lanes thus cutting into (reducing from) the adjacent side of said same greenspace! Yep, I'm all for paying for that Einstein move! Totally ludicrous! However they could never close the North St. Fire Station due to the RR tracks cutting off that part of Town from the Central Station.
swamper

Postby Lil Big Mouth on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 am

I'm almost $8,000 Madness has to stop
Lil Big Mouth

Postby bferrari on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm

How "out-of-control" are taxes in each town? Depends on how waisteful each town is. If a 20 year bond is paid off, I expect that the next year that 300 dollars would be gone from my taxes. It isn't. So the point is, every 2 1/2 override artificially and PERMANENTLY raises your taxes. You don't have to just accept it.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby bferrari on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

WoW Harry your posts NAILED it right on the head! I noticed my tax bills from the past and now and wondering what the hell I am getting where we are in the middle of the State as far as property valuations and schools... totally ludicrous !
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby jtciampa on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 am

Does anyone have the current % of the $100+ million sewer project is allocated to our property taxes?

This is by far the biggest burden on our taxes.
jtciampa

Postby Harry on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 am

jtciampa wrote:Does anyone have the current % of the $100+ million sewer project is allocated to our property taxes?

This is by far the biggest burden on our taxes.

If you review the Town Budget you will see that the sewer is not. In fact the water/sewer fund is a separate entity, outside the bounds of Prop 2.5, which is being used to fund water/sewer as well as other book keeping tricks. It's why we have the second highest water/sewer rates in Massachusetts.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby bferrari on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 am

Harry...please correct me...

From what I remember... 1/3 of our water bills were "put onto our real estate taxes". Is this not true anymore?
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Harry on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 am

bferrari wrote:Harry...please correct me...

From what I remember... 1/3 of our water bills were "put onto our real estate taxes". Is this not true anymore?

In the beginning "some" water and no sewer I believe. This was way back under Cressman. When some water and sewer enterprise funds showed up way back paying for the Dog Catcher I totally lost track as to which shell the peanut was under. If you look at the budget today you will see water/sewer enterprise funds sprinkled through it.

It's easier for me to simply look at what I send the Town directly in funds. The real estate tax and the water/sewer bills total in the neighborhood of $7000 per year.

Plus excise taxes as well go directly to the town.

I believe that I'm more in the middle of the pack.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby bferrari on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm

I pay the same... it is ridiculous...
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Friendofthetown on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm

DPW Tour Schedule is up

Department of Public Works to Host Facility Tours
Tewksbury residents are encouraged to attend informational tours of the Department of Public Works facility at 999 Whipple Road.
The tour dates are as follows:
Tuesday March 21st
Thursday March 23rd
Tuesday March 28th
Thursday March 30th
All tours will take place between 3:45 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.  Please enter the facility through the main entrance along Whipple Road. Due to the nature of the facility, the tours are for adults only.
If you have any questions, you may call DPW at 978-640-4440.
Friendofthetown

Postby Friendofthetown on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 am

Friendofthetown

Previous

Return to Town Meeting