May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby mike_flynn on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 am

The Warrant for the May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) is posted on the town's website:

http://www.tewksbury-ma.gov/Pages/Tewks ... 202012.pdf

Remember that this will not be coming in the mail, so spread the word.
User avatar
mike_flynn
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:01 am

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby swamper on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Worthy to note....just came back from the Library where I (guess wrongly) assumed I could get a hard copy of all 3 warrant booklets but though they had them posted to the back wall bulletin board (by the restrooms)....they had NONE AVAILABLE for the public to take! When I asked the librarian I was told "that's all they brought.....you'll have to ask at Town Hall" (which of course is closed to the public Fri. afternoons). Hello? I thought the PUBLIC LIBRARY was supposed to be a convenient outlet for such things now that the warrants are no longer mailed? Nothing like making it that much more difficult for the residents. Aaargh! :roll:
NO SLOTS IN TEWKSBURY!!!
NO TO RE-ZONE AUG. 20 TOWN MTG.
NO AT BALLOT (if need be) SEPT. 21
User avatar
swamper
 
Posts: 6013
Joined: Sat May 06, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Tewksbury

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby sean_czarniecki on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

Regarding Article 26 (Bereavement-type leave) - Does anyone know if the days for leave are paid days? The article doesn't say it, but I am guessing they are. If no one knows, I'll check with the Town Manager. I just want this to be clear one way or another.
sean_czarniecki
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 1:01 am

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby ELLE on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 am

sean_czarniecki wrote:Regarding Article 26 (Bereavement-type leave) - Does anyone know if the days for leave are paid days? The article doesn't say it, but I am guessing they are. If no one knows, I'll check with the Town Manager. I just want this to be clear one way or another.

Since the current policy is to use vacation and they are now allowing up to a week off for this instead, it's paid. Pretty standard policy for most companies, I'd assume. Same as where I work although the definition of immediate family could probably be made smaller. For us it's not this broad. Anything past parents, spouses, and children is situational based on your role in their life and in their death, and up to the manager. Certainly, brother-in-law seems like a stretch to get a week off.

I think whoever submitted this article made some mistakes as they defined "immediate family" and "extended immediate family" with the same members. What's the point of making a distinction when both groups get the same amount of leave time?

Immediate family shall be defined as: father, mother, spouse, son, daughter, sister, brother, mother-inlaw, father-in-law, grandparents, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law,
grandchildren, and any other relative living in the employee’s household
With the following language:
Funeral Leave:
In the event of death for an immediate family member, all employees shall be granted a maximum of (5) five
workdays of leave, not to be deducted from sick or vacation leave in order to attend to the affairs for the
following immediate family members; parents, spouse, domestic partners, children and siblings. (This could
include: step parents/children/siblings)
In the event of death for extended immediate family members, all employees shall be granted (3) three
workdays to attend to the affairs of their grandparents, parents-in-laws, siblings-in-law, grandchildren,
guardians, and any other relative residing in the household. At the Department Heads discretion an additional
(2) two workdays may be granted.
Leave with pay for up to (1) one workday may be granted to attend the funeral of other close relatives with
ELLE
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:01 am

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby sean_czarniecki on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks, Elle. I would have to look at the details of my company's policy. I know we get 3 days paid, but don't know the wording on family members. Either way, it is difficult to make a call, since everyone's situation is different.
sean_czarniecki
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 1:01 am

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby ELLE on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 am

sean_czarniecki wrote:Thanks, Elle. I would have to look at the details of my company's policy. I know we get 3 days paid, but don't know the wording on family members. Either way, it is difficult to make a call, since everyone's situation is different.
Agreed, that's why I'd move everyone but the true immediate family to the extended family so that it's not automatic unless the situation warrants it.
ELLE
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:01 am

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby Mrs C on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

swamper wrote:Worthy to note....just came back from the Library where I (guess wrongly) assumed I could get a hard copy of all 3 warrant booklets but though they had them posted to the back wall bulletin board (by the restrooms)....they had NONE AVAILABLE for the public to take! When I asked the librarian I was told "that's all they brought.....you'll have to ask at Town Hall" (which of course is closed to the public Fri. afternoons). Hello? I thought the PUBLIC LIBRARY was supposed to be a convenient outlet for such things now that the warrants are no longer mailed? Nothing like making it that much more difficult for the residents. Aaargh! :roll:


Hi there. Just wanted you to know I was at the library today around 2PM and personally saw a bunch of Town Warrants were being dropped off. I think the Patch also posted copies.
Mrs C
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby swamper on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks, Mrs C....good to know.... spread the word. :)
NO SLOTS IN TEWKSBURY!!!
NO TO RE-ZONE AUG. 20 TOWN MTG.
NO AT BALLOT (if need be) SEPT. 21
User avatar
swamper
 
Posts: 6013
Joined: Sat May 06, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Tewksbury

Re: May 7, 2012 Annual Town Meeting (ATM) - Warrant

Postby Chasnbos on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 am

reading thru this warrant as far as I can see
Spending 2.2M free cash,
2% raises for all = 1.1M(doesn't say were monies are coming from,
convert your sick time to pay,
drawing down enterprise retained eanings (suppose to use for deficits) from 1.5M to 700K
couple miles of pipe plus more sewer enhancements 1M debt
plus total budget Increase 2.5M
thought we we're going to be more fiscal than this.
Chasnbos
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:01 am


Return to Town Meeting