October 2, 2012 Special Town Meeting (STM) - Warrant

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

Re: October 2, 2012 Special Town Meeting (STM) - Warrant

Postby bobr on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 am

Thank you Steve Deackoff for your clear explanation of this issue.

I have one question:
Do you support this article?

Bob Rauseo
bobr

Postby sdeackoff on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 am

Zeebamom,

I am on the Conservation Commission, but I am speaking as a private citizen.
The statements and opinions expressed herein are solely mine and do not constitute official statements or positions of the Tewksbury Conservation Commission.

In my opinion, the proposed amendment to the Wetlands Protection Bylaw is NOT related to the artificial turf field.

Our CURRENT Bylaw has this clause:

when a waiver would serve a substantial public benefit, the Commission may at their sole discretion grant a waiver from the dimensional requirements of the No Disturb Zone, No Build Zone and allow impacts on the wetland areas protected by this Bylaw.

It could be deemed that an artificial turf field would serve a substantial public benefit.

It is my opinion that the wetland bylaw change that is proposed would have no impact one way or another on whether the turf field could be constructed.
sdeackoff

Postby sdeackoff on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am

Bob,

Speaking as a private citizen, I do NOT support Article 19 that amends the Tewksbury Wetlands Protection Bylaw.
sdeackoff

Postby bobr on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:59 am

Steve:

Thank you for your quick reply.

Bob
bobr

Postby larsueb on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 am

As a former member of the Conservation Commission, I cannot think of a valid reason to support Article 19. There are sufficient "Exceptions" in the By-Law to accommodate individual situations. Reducing the Buffer Zone will produce irreparable harm to the wet lands and wild life. Open space is on the decline and needs our protection!

Larry Bairstow
larsueb

Postby swamper on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Thank you to the former and current ConCom members (speaking as private citizens) for your input. That validation is good enough for me as reason not to support this.
swamper

Postby cozmo on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm

What group is still trying to get an artificial turf field?
cozmo

Postby ELLE on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:46 am

The warrant article is to use the money only if they are able to get the grant. I think the original group heard the town people loud and clear. There are no lights, no additional seating, nothing extra. They are just going for the turf and trying to do it without using taxpayer money. Not sure why people are still against this. I think their new proposal is a reasonable response to the "no" vote and I will support it. This doesn't impact the abutters in any way so what is the objection here? Somebody pointed out to me the other day that all tournaments and state championships are played on turf fields and that Tewksbury is at a disadvantage in these situations because the play is different between turf and dirt. Instead of just saying "no" because you did before, maybe reconsider based on the merits of the new proposal.
ELLE

Postby sean_czarniecki on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:17 am

Elle - I wouldn't be opposed to the turf field if it actually *was* doing it without taxpayer dollars. I'm all for getting the grant. However, it is my understanding based on attending the grant info meeting that the maximum amount we could receive is $400K, leaving at least $350K to come from somewhere (I also understand that getting the full $400K may be wishful thinking). Private donations have been low, meaning that it would take at least $300K out of the town's "available" funds to complete this. The decision to be made then becomes if this is the best way to spend that money. If you believe it is, by all means, vote for it.

Here's the info presented on the Patch about the grant hearing that was held. Make sure to scroll down to my comments for a few more details and a link to another article.
http://tewksbury.patch.com/articles/pub ... turf-field
sean_czarniecki

Postby sean_czarniecki on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Just as an FYI, the ConCom is going to hold a meeting this Friday (2:30 pm) at the DPW to discuss Article 19 further.

http://www.tewksbury.net/Pages/Tewksbur ... formid=161
sean_czarniecki

Postby sean_czarniecki on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Meeting has been changed to Town Hall Auditorium.
sean_czarniecki

Postby ELLE on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 am

sean_czarniecki wrote:Meeting has been changed to Town Hall Auditorium.

Keith posted on another thread that the meeting will take place at the High School Auditorium.
ELLE

Postby krauseo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:43 am

Elle, Sean was posting about the Conservation Commission meeting on Article 19 that took place yesterday afternoon, not Town Meeting itself. The ConComm meeting location was changed after its original posting.

Town Meeting will be in the High School Auditorium on Tuesday, starting at 7 PM.

Best,

Keith Rauseo
Town Moderator
krauseo

Re: ARTICLE 19 October 2, 2012 Special Town Mtg. (STM) - War

Postby swamper on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again..... WHY TAKE A GIANT STEP BACKWARD in approving this article? We already have a GOOD BYLAW in place to protect our wetlands....this would be decreasing the buffer zone by OVER HALF. Besides which, there are ALREADY provisions built into our current bylaw which makes the premise of this totally UNNECESSARY. The Selectmen have voted to table it while the Con Com recommended withdrawal by the applicant or INDEFINITE POSTPONEMENT. Passage of this article is detrimental to our wetlands and serves to benefit "few" while opening a can of worms that will be ripe for abuse! Please ATTEND Special Town Mtg. on Tues. Oct. 2nd @ 7pm in the new TMHS auditorium and VOTE 'NO' ON ARTICLE 19. Remember this meeting will NOT be televised.
swamper

Postby CuriousT on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 am

The fact that Krissy/Phil Polimeno are co-sponsors of 19 makes me more than a little suspicious. And there are wetlands right next to the site of this field/stadium.
CuriousT

PreviousNext

Return to Town Meeting