School Committe

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

School Committe

Postby GymMom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 pm

You can find the July 30th School Committee meeting agenda on the Tewksbury Public Schools website. Click on "School Committee" and then "Meeting Schedule". At the bottom of that page there is a link for the agenda. Dr. McGrath said the agenda would be posted by Friday of this week.
GymMom

School Committe

Postby KAV on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 am

AmyKay and others,
I asked one coach - who coaches in another town - who would still coach if he did not receive any pay for it. Mind you, this is at a varsity level, and it is a typical 6 day per week during the season committment.

His answer was definitely, he would still coach regardless of whether it was a paid position or not.

I would think that you may lose some people who coach strictly for the stipend, but you would find other qualified people who would still coach for no financial gain. Whose primary goal in coaching is to teach the the game and to help these kids scholarships.
KAV

School Committe

Postby JQ on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks GymMom
JQ

School Committe

Postby Curiosity123 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 am

And I would volunteer one day a week in any role necessary... secretary... janitor... lunch lady.... etc... if it meant that a teacher's position would be reinstated.
Curiosity123

School Committe

Postby momof2girls on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 am

Curiosity I'm with you. I know of some towns, one being Saugus that operate with a volunteer gym teacher who is the owner of a local karate school. Also, I think the library could be staffed with parent volunteers. A different parent from each classroom, on a rotating schedule would come in each week for their child's class to attend library. That would be a total of 1 hour for the parent to volunteer. I also would say that parents could volunteer to answer phones for half a day so the secretary could do more crucial paper work and there would not be a need to HIRE a 2nd secretary. There are many ways we could save money to save Teachers! Also, regardless of the outcome tonight, I hope that teachers will utilize class parents for centers and copying and anything else that would take the teacher away from the classroom.
momof2girls

Previous

Return to Town Meeting