2011 Annual and Special Town Meeting Warrant Article Info

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

2011 Annual and Special Town Meeting Warrant Article Info

Postby krauseo on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Good afternoon,

Attached is a document I've prepared for voters' reference showing all the articles in both the Annual and Special Town Meetings, any planned amendments or procedural actions, the required vote for passage, and the recommendations of town boards that have been voted to date. As of their meeting on April 27, the Finance Committee is not planning any amendments to the Town Manager's recommended budget shown in Article 4 of the Annual Town Meeting warrant.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... VFLs&hl=en

Should anyone have questions about the information in the document, you can e-mail me at tewksburymoderator@gmail.com.

I hope this will be helpful to you all during the meetings next week. We have some important decisions to make as a town, and I hope lots of us will choose to participate.

Keith Rauseo
Town Moderator
krauseo

Re: 2011 Annual and Special Town Meeting Warrant Article Inf

Postby swamper on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm

COME ON, PEOPLE!!!!!!! Keith cares enough about this Town and its residents and our OPEN TOWN MTG. PROCESS to actually put in the time and effort and go the extra mile to create this informative document. Keith is leading the way to more participation from/ and making it easier for ALL of us! Have the courtesy to read it, GET EDUCATED/INTERESTED and SHOW UP AT TOWN MTGS. THIS WEEK.....EVERY ONE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

http://tewksbury.patch.com/articles/the ... ?ncid=M255
swamper

Postby Chasnbos on Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Great Doc from Keith at least Warren's tourette like shouting of " Mr Moderator Point of Order" on every warrant should be minimized or ??
Good Luck on your first night!

Swamper
Still seems like the faces have change but the game still the same.
Get involve means to be a bobble head to go along with the agenda. Still no one but the TM know what the agenda is.
As a resident it makes no sense to drain all the accounts going into a year with a bleaker outlook and out of control inflation.
I guess we have to put our blind faith in hope the TM has a backup plan for next year

For example!
Ask everyone in town about the warrant for the sewer debt and no one can't figure it out. The TM can't explain it.
He was asked why the 50% when we know what we paid.
He said we don't know what we are on the hook for each year ??But we want to shift 50% on to the General fund.
He said the town has spent to much at once on their sewer and water project. Ok In the next breath he's figured in spending another 15M in the next 5yrs??

Sounds of the Cressman doctrine
Step1)Do it behind close doors / Get the BOS to sing together
Step2)Push it through with what they want to hear not what they should know.
Step 3)Rolled out a vague staged presentations that points to town meeting approvals as the culprit / this is how we going to fix it/ glaze over residents concerns.
Step 4) Town mtg don't denied or comfirm residents concerns 90% chance it will pass.
Chasnbos

Postby melli_fera on Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks, Keith. I'll be carrying this with me to the meetings this week!
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby ELLE on Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

What time does the meeting start tonight and Wednesday? Keith's doc and the town website don't agree. As usual, even when you try to follow along the information is hard to get.
ELLE

Postby swamper on Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Annual Town Mtg. "part one" starts tonight at 8pm. Wed. night Special Town Mtg. begins at 7pm with its five articles, followed by the remainder (part 2) of Annual Town Mtg. at 8pm. If you look at Keith's document....Annual Town Mtg. is divided as such (WITH the separate dates and times at the top of the page according to section) followed by the five Special Town Mtg. articles on the last page also with date and time. It's all there.
swamper

Postby ELLE on Mon May 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks I see it now. There are 2 Wednesday pages, I missed the second one with the 7pm.
ELLE

Postby Zeebamom on Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, I had to work tonight so couldn't go to Town Meeting but just came home and turned it on. I would like to compliment Mr Rauseo on how he explained what a yes and no vote meant on articles (especially the indefinite postponement votes). I look forward to attending Wednesday night's meeting.
Zeebamom

Postby swamper on Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Keith was a true breath of fresh air tonight! :D Articulate and every word clear as a bell, resonating all the way back to the bleachers! His vast knowledge and explanation of Town Mtg. procedures was exemplary and his enthusiasm contagious. Keith had a good handle on maintaining order and decorum and did it in a respectful manner when he did have to re-direct someone. It seemed there was a larger turnout than normal though it still bothers me when people leave after "their" article is voted on....I've seen worse though! Though the "new set up" was not as I predicted in terms of reversal (I edited my last post and apologize for any inconvenience) there WERE some modifications which I saw as improvements. The Town Board tables' placement was better and I REALLY liked that there was a central microphone facing the audience which the board members and Town Manager speaking on the articles came up and used rather than the "old way" of speaking from their tables. That improved visibility and clarity immensely toward the residents. Lastly, I thought Mr. Montuori did a very commendable job explaining the reasoning behind many of the Town budget articles, once again, articulate and a true professional. Such a vast improvement from the former someone who shall remain nameless! :wink: Looking forward to "part two" on Wed. night.
swamper

Postby ELLE on Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 am

What happened with the meal tax article? I had to leave before that one came up.
ELLE

Postby Nacca on Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 am

ELLE wrote:What happened with the meal tax article? I had to leave before that one came up.

Elle - after some light discussion it passed easily .... .and apparently immediately put the Piccadilly Pub right out of business. That was a joke of course ... not sure what is going on there but that is for another thread.

I echo the praise that Keith is getting. A major improvement.
Nacca

Postby melli_fera on Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 am

I also was very pleased with the order of the meeting last night. Keith did a great job.

I really don't understand why people leave these meetings... hopefully more education will be forthcoming. I loved how people voted to amend an article, and then immediately 30 people left without voting on said amended article. What sense does that make?
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby Mrs C on Tue May 03, 2011 1:14 pm

melli_fera wrote:I really don't understand why people leave these meetings... hopefully more education will be forthcoming. I loved how people voted to amend an article, and then immediately 30 people left without voting on said amended article. What sense does that make?

Sometimes it's unavoidable. For instance, I was there last night, but had to leave early for personal reasons. I plan to be there Wednesday night and should be able to stay for the whole thing. Life happens. I was just pleased that the crowd was as big as it was.
Mrs C

Postby melli_fera on Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Mrs C wrote:
melli_fera wrote:I really don't understand why people leave these meetings... hopefully more education will be forthcoming. I loved how people voted to amend an article, and then immediately 30 people left without voting on said amended article. What sense does that make?

Sometimes it's unavoidable. For instance, I was there last night, but had to leave early for personal reasons. I plan to be there Wednesday night and should be able to stay for the whole thing. Life happens. I was just pleased that the crowd was as big as it was.

Oh, I get that... I actually showed up late due to personal reasons. I just thought the fact that someone would stay to vote to amend an article, and then leave before adopting the article was a little funny...
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby bferrari on Wed May 04, 2011 12:09 am

They left because they don't really understand what's going on. They left because they voted on (an ammendment, the ammendment passed) and they think, "oh we're done, let's get the heck out of here..."

Best example of just plain old apathy was with the condo trash vote like 13 years ago, my very first town meeting. Some "spokeswoman" spent an hour trying to get their condo trash article voted on first, so they could go home. They came to Town Meeting because they wanted the town to pay for their trash removal instead of themselves. They came, wasted an hour and a half, finally got their way (then left immediately). The whole room emptied out practically.... Those few of us that were left seated were all waving at them saying "thanks for caring for your town".... We could have been done with the whole meeting had they just let it go the way it was.

I lost a lot of respect for the condo dwellers in this town that night.
bferrari
Site Admin

Next

Return to Town Meeting