Special Town Meeting Warrant - October 4, 2011

Discussions about upcoming warrant arcticles or anything else related to Town Meeting.

Re: Special Town Meeting Warrant - October 4, 2011

Postby melli_fera on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

I'd like to see this $1.2M earn interest (not holding my breath) for a year in reserve and get our feet back on solid ground and then re-visit the fire station.

Don't get me wrong, I value the fire station (I live less that 2 miles from it), but it's not feasible right now. If we keep flying by the seat of our pants, we'll just keep ending up in the same situation we've always been in (like having buildings built that cannot be sustained).
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby krauseo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:12 pm

I have updated the voters' information sheet to reflect the recommendations of the Planning Board on several articles.

The download link is:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... ODY4&hl=en

Town Meeting is Tuesday, October 4, at 7 PM, at the TMHS gymnasium. There are important decisions to be made, and there have been lively discussions on this web site, and I hope people take the opportunity to have those discussions on Town Meeting floor, where you the voters make the decisions.
krauseo

Postby moretpani on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:23 am

Could you kindly provide additional details on these two items.
What court settlement and why is the $$ coming out of Water Sewer account?
Approve payment of outstanding
bills of previous fiscal years –
transfer from the Sewer
Enterprise Fund to Sewer-
Operating Account – total
$242,318.16
Transfer funds from the Water
Enterprise Fund to pay for a
court settlement ($250,000) and
a support contract for software
used for water billing ($10,000) –
total $260,000
moretpani

Postby krauseo on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 am

Good morning,

I'm assuming these questions were for me, but it isn't proper for me to address questions about the substance of articles. There is further information about each article in the warrant, and specific questions like this should be directed to the Town Manager, as he has all the details about these issues. His e-mail address is rmontuori@tewksbury-ma.gov.
krauseo

Postby moretpani on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am

Were do I get a copy of the Warrant?
moretpani

Postby krauseo on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

The warrant is online at:

http://www.tewksbury.info/Pages/TewksburyMA_News/017969EF-000F8513.0/STM-warrant-10-4-11.pdf

Printed copies are available at the Town Clerk's office, the library, and the senior center.
krauseo

Postby moretpani on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 am

Thank you

I looked at the warrant… Now I understand.
moretpani

Re: Special Town Meeting Tues. October 4, 2011 @ 7pm

Postby swamper on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:49 pm

From the Lowell Sun:

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_19028804

Tewksbury to vote on clerk position
By Joyce Tsai, jtsai@lowellsun.com
Updated: 10/03/2011 06:35:08 AM EDT

TEWKSBURY -- Voters will decide whether the Town Clerk position should be appointed or elected, and whether to grant a tax-increment financing deal for Thermo-Fisher Scientific, during tomorrow's special Town Meeting.

Other potentially big items of discussion will be a proposed bylaw regulating the handling and monitoring of stormwater discharge post-construction, and an article to transfer $1.2 million into the town's stabilization fund, said Town Manager Richard Montuori.

Selectmen voted unanimously last week to recommend all articles, except for one that was deferred to the Planning Board's recommendation. That article would amend zoning in the area proposed for the former Mills Corp. mall to include office and commercial uses and exclude housing. The article also will lift a sunset clause for the zoning to expire in May.

Montuori believes the Town Clerk's Office should be appointed because it's the only town department head that is elected. It's an issue of accountability and oversight, he said.

"We're a $100 million operation, and to say this decision should be left to a popularity contest, I just don't think it's right," Montuori said.

The stormwater-management bylaw shouldn't affect the typical resident, Montuori said. It should affect developers more since it applies to fairly sizeable lots, which would help the town comply with Environmental Protection Agency regulations.

He will propose the transfer of $1.2 million into the
town's stabilization fund. At May Town Meeting, the town depleted its stabilization fund, with the caveat that if money became available, they would be used to shore up the fund. The town originally expected a 10 percent cut in state aid, but only had a 3 percent to 4 percent cut.

Additional revenue is anticipated from the hotel and meals tax and new growth in town.

Montuori said he didn't expect a lot of debate on a 15-year tax-increment-financing tax deal for Thermo-Fisher Scientific.

The company would receive a 50 percent tax break the first year, with the break decreasing by 5 percent a year during the next decade, and a 5 percent tax break for the last five years.

The company would save about $484,000, Montuori said, while the town would gain $2 million from the investment.

The meeting starts at 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Tewksbury High School gym.
swamper

Postby Harry on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:19 pm

“Montuori believes the Town Clerk's Office should be appointed because it's the only town department head that is elected. It's an issue of accountability and oversight, he said.

"We're a $100 million operation, and to say this decision should be left to a popularity contest, I just don't think its right," Montuori said.

OK...realizing I’m a bit on the critical side when it comes to Government but Montuori’s statement above really made me rip out what’s left of my hair.

Let's all realize that the last Town Clerk’s election was one of the hardest fought campaigns that we have had in this Town in quite sometime. It was an example of what Democracy was, and is, all about. Voters were really pumped up over that race and that’s exactly how elections should be. The buzz drew many new voters into the ballot box.

So in a Democracy voters are not accountable Mr. Montuori?

Many of my family members, including my Son, have over the years served our Country in our Military to keep our Democracy alive, free and well.

They didn’t serve Mr. Montuori to help preserve a popularity contest.

Popularity Contests versus Democracy, the RIGHT to vote, are two entirely different things Mr. Monturi. I hope that you were misquoted, or taken out of context, otherwise you really need to learn the difference between the two.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby ELLE on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I think he's just trying to say that position is better appointed, just like the heads of all the other departments. We still elect board members.
ELLE

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:45 pm

kmagyoyo wrote:dougsears,

I guess I missed it when you warned town meeting goers that passing a fiscal year 2012 budget that was designed to deplete our reserves would be a bad thing.

Of course what do you care? The lion's share of our borrowing is with funny money (a.k.a. debt excluded from proposition 2-1/2 limits and debt hidden in the sewer & water funds), so it's not like the interest rates really matter to the bottom line.

What's going to be your slogan when you run for attorney O'Neill's city council? Let's review some of your past gems:

>>>Doug questions their answers - not so much anymore.
>>>No overrides, no fees, no nonsense - you have voted for every new fee/tax increase under the sun, so this one is right out.
>>>Doug goes along to get along - this is starting to get old.

How about this one?
>>>Yeah, whatever the town manager says.

If you are going to insult a town official at least have the balls to sign your real name to this. Loser.
Tewksbury2001

Postby bobr on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello:

The person using the name kmagyoyo often uses strong language which sometimes degenerates into namecalling.
However, this post seems to be calling out Doug Sears on his past performance.
I think it is well within the bounds of political discourse.

I agree with Tewksbury2001 that any one who makes such comments should use his/her real name.
So, Tewksbury2001 - if you are going to call someone names you should use your real name as well.
Also, your anatomical reference stands a 50% chance of being physiologically inappropriate.

Bob Rauseo
one voice
bobr

Previous

Return to Town Meeting