Bay Circuit Trail

Discussions, questions, etc for the Land Use Committee.

Bay Circuit Trail

Postby hcamper on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:40 am

From what I have been told, the state hospital is allowing BCT to go thru but the organization still needs to get permissions from several private land owners, utility companies, etc. Alan Franch (978-470-1982) from Moor and Mtn in Andover has been spearheading this for years. If you give him a call, he can give you the latest.
It would be nice to have it go thru Tewksbury - I have done the sections of Bay Circuit from Topsfield to Andover... and will have to skip over tewksbury and go south to get back on the trail.
hcamper

Bay Circuit Trail

Postby its5pmsomewherenow on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:03 pm

For Tewksbury Residents looking for a great place to walk on maintained trails, mountain bike, or walk pets -- the AVIS trails along the Merrimack River are wonderful. http://www.avisandover.org/deer_jump.html

Access to the trail on the Tewksbury end is just down by the water treatment plant off of River Road. This part of the trail goes down behind St. Francis.

There are many access points along the nighborhoods on River Road. I find the best parking to be on Launching Road and Burndrett Avenue. You can also access the field trails from the down near the Residence Inn and Springhill Suites in Andover, with plenty of parking.

It's quiet down there, and beautiful! Not many people know about it, and although I go often, I hardly ever see anyone. The trails are skied on and walked on in the winter, too... so it can be year-round fun!
its5pmsomewherenow

Bay Circuit Trail

Postby dduquette on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Wow, thanks! Didn't even know those trails existed. Usually we drive out to Dunstable or up north. I followed the link you provided and it said bicycling was not permitted. It was on the list of "no-nos" that can harm the landscape. I think I'd better try it on foot even though I'd love to take my mountain bike.

How is the terrain? Is it ok for kids too?

Thanks again!!

Doreen
dduquette

Bay Circuit Trail

Postby its5pmsomewherenow on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Doreen,
I guess the bikers I've encountered were testing their luck. The terrain is a combination of fields, wide trails (6-8 ft across) through pretty level grounded woods, and skinny trails (3-5ft) closest to the Merrimack River edge. There are bridges over some brooks and wet areas.

You can walk along the river for hours! Especially great for a late afternoon walk as the sun goes lower on the opposite western bank of the river, with sun-dappled leaves and reflection off the river. It's a very lovely walk without a long drive -- I highly reccommend giving it a try. I walk my little girl beagle there about once a week. -- she loves it! She gives it 4 p*a*w*s!
its5pmsomewherenow

Bay Circuit Trail

Postby swamper on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Ah, yes....one of our favorite places to walk, also known as "Deer Jump Reservation"....and you can literally go for miles. If you take kids on the narrower path by the river's edge just make sure they "stay on the path" as there ARE patches of poison ivy here and there.
swamper

Re: Deer Jump Reservation and Trails Along the Merrimack...

Postby its5pmsomewherenow on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Visit the trails along the Merrimack River during this peak foliage weekend, for a wonderful FREE weekend treat ... you might be able to forget your 401K and IRA woes from this week. Beautiful, calm, quiet nature calls -- take that dog for a walk, she's been so patient all week.
its5pmsomewherenow

Re: Deer Jump

Postby swamper on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Did that very foliage hike on this beautiful autumn day today! Absolutely perfect weather for it, coolish and breezy! Found three geocaches along the way... fun adventure! 8)
swamper

Re: Deer Jump & Merrimack River Trails

Postby its5pmsomewherenow on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Just got back myself, Swamper! It was glorius out there today -- and boy, wasn't the Merrimack River way down. I haven't seen that much bank and water that low for a very long time. Saw quite a few people out today, enjoying the autumn sun and peak foliage -- we live in a great area! By the way, I was cleaning up at town common this morning with the Garden Club -- the new front steps at Town Hall sure do look nice! :D
its5pmsomewherenow

Re: Deer Jump

Postby swamper on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:03 pm

LOL...perhaps we passed each other....yes it WAS gorgeous, but we too noticed the river being WAY down!
Re. "-- the new front steps at Town Hall sure do look nice!" THAT is thanks to our Community Preservation Act funds! :D
swamper

Re: Bay Circuit Trail

Postby bferrari on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes thank god we get our water from the river, instead of protected wells like we used to.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby tewksbury2002 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:25 pm

A few weeks ago we were looking for a local place to go for a nice walk and maybe see tracks and enjoy being outdoors - we usually drive to the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in Topsfield but I had remembered reading comments posted on here about the Avis trails and specifically the Deer Jump Reservation - I have to say we were not disappointed!!!! Thanks to all who posted about this hidden gem. We were near the pumping station and my husband watched a bald eagle take off from Pine Island, we all managed to run towards a more open area and both my boys (age 5 & 7) and I also got to see it flying along the river, it was AMAZING! The tracks were unbelievable too, we think someone walks a St. Bernard there because there were some massive canine tracks. This will definitely be a place we return to often!
tewksbury2002

Postby spider12 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:18 pm

I started this post over 3 years ago. lisakuegler, you mentioned that some scouts were working on it and it some approvals were made. There is another article posted on the patch today:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=9430

It says "Don't expect to see a bike trail anytime soon. Large-scale projects like this take time, and the project is still in the very initial phases."

Does anyone have any info if anyone has done anything on this in the past few years?

Thanks.
spider12

Previous

Return to Land Use Committee