New High School Principal

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

New High School Principal

Postby ELLE on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:45 am

From Patch. Great choice.

Theriault-Regan Named New Principal Of Tewksbury High
Theriault-Regan will succeed Patricia Lally, who resigned to become the new assistant superintendent.
By Bill Gilman Email the author 6:00 am
Email Print 7 Comments

Upload Photos and Videos
With a brand new high school scheduled to open its doors in less than 60 days, Superintendent of Schools Dr. John O'Connor wasted little time in naming a new principal.

Brenda Theriault-Regan, presently the assistant principal at the John Ryan Middle School, has been selected to succeed Dr. Patricia Lally as Tewksbury Memorial High School principal. Lally resigned earlier this month after being appointed as the district's new assistant superintendent.

O'Connor said he kept the screening process simple, only posting the opening at the high school internally. He interviewed two candidates for the position and feels strongly that Theriault-Regan is the right person for the job. He cited her experience with curriculum, technology and data investigation.

"(Theriault-Regan's) infectious personality, combined with her impressive leadership skills, make her an ideal candidate to fill this highly visible position," said O'Connor.

While the job may be new for Theriault-Regan, the students will not be, as many passed through the Ryan School while Theriault-Regan was a teacher there from 2000-2009.

"There is a huge benefit for the incoming principal to have first hand knowledge of the students and staff," said O'Connor. "Brenda will know 85 percent of the students by name!"

Theriault-Regan, who did not immediately return messages seeking comment, has a remarkable work history and has risen quickly through the educational ranks.

Before earning her bachelor's degree from Lesley College and becoming a teacher in 2000, Theriault-Regan had worked professionally as a restaurant manager, in public relations/advertising/marketing and as a meeting planner.

A Tewksbury resident, she began teaching full-time at the Ryan School in 2000, teaching 6th grade reading and math. In 2003, she earned her Master's Degree from Fitchburg State and later her certificate of advanced graduate study in educational leadership from American International College. In 2009 she was named assistant principal at Ryan.

According to O'Connor, Theriault-Regan will assume the duties of principal of TMHS on July 1. However, she and Lally will work closely over a two-month period to assure a smooth transition.
ELLE

Re: New High School Principal

Postby bkhote on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 pm

ok
bkhote

Postby Zeebamom on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:38 pm

I don't know the person who got the job, however, everything I read and hear about the Tewksbury school system always indicates that things tend to fall apart once the students get to the Ryan so why would you select an administrator from there to lead the High School and not bring in an outside, experienced candidate? A person who has no track record as a "principal" tasked with turning the reputation of the school around wouldn't have been my first choice. Also, has Tewksbury ever selected a principal allowing only inside candidates? Have a feeling there is more to this story.
Zeebamom

Postby bkhote on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 pm

deleted
bkhote

Postby swamper on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 pm

quote:
While the job may be new for Theriault-Regan, the students will not be, as many passed through the Ryan School while Theriault-Regan was a teacher there from 2000-2009.

"There is a huge benefit for the incoming principal to have first hand knowledge of the students and staff," said O'Connor. "Brenda will know 85 percent of the students by name!"

I do not know Mrs. Regan personally. While it is nice to be "liked" by the students....I can only hope this doesn't result in a "buddy-buddy" type of Principal when I believe they should be aiming for a no-nonsense disciplinarian at this level of schooling, ie. fair but TOUGH to keep the kids in line without favoritism. (May be difficult to achieve with possible pre-formed connections/relationships from the past.)
swamper

Postby PattiDe on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I, for one, am thrilled with the choice! Mrs Regan was my daughter's math teacher about 10 years ago, and I was soooo impressed by her. Since then, I've gotten to know her a bit better, and am even more impressed. Yes, the kids like her, but she is a no nonsense person who doesn't worry about whether she's liked or not. I think she is highly respected and organized, and will do a great job. We've had our share of "experienced" principals, and none of them were overly impressive. I liked Dr Lally but think she didn't run the ship as tightly as it could have been run. I think Mrs Regan will be a hands on principal who won't put up with the crap that a lot of high school kids give. She is a Tewksbury resident who, I believe, will take pride in making the "new" Tewksbury high school a respected school. Congrats, Mrs Regan!!!
PattiDe

Postby sean_czarniecki on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I also think she is an excellent choice, having worked with her while on the PAC at the Ryan School. Congratulations!
sean_czarniecki

Postby ELLE on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:01 am

I think when you have a strong candidate like this already on staff it's a no-brainer. Dr. Lally was one of the reasons we DIDN'T go to the high school; I thought her leadership was weak, despite her experience and likability. If this change had been in place while we were making our decision, I might have considered the high school more seriously. This is GOOD for Tewksbury. Mrs. Regan is the perfect way to start off the new high school.
ELLE

Postby ELLE on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 am

swamper wrote:quote:

I do not know Mrs. Regan personally. While it is nice to be "liked" by the students....I can only hope this doesn't result in a "buddy-buddy" type of Principal when I believe they should be aiming for a no-nonsense disciplinarian at this level of schooling, ie. fair but TOUGH to keep the kids in line without favoritism. (May be difficult to achieve with possible pre-formed connections/relationships from the past.)

The kids like her because they trust her and she's fair, not because she's easy to bullshit or she's their friend. There are enough problems in this town without creating them where they don't exist.
ELLE

Postby bkhote on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 am

deleted
bkhote

Postby theWindMachine on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am

Unfortunately bknote, that is not how we do things around here. People are hired based on who they know and who they are related to. Which leads us to the current mess we are in.
theWindMachine

Postby bkhote on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 am

theWindMachine,

>>People are hired based on who they know and who they are related to. Which leads us to the current mess we are in.

If this is so then its sad and shameful to accept and give this way as far as public money is involved.
For a short term advantage, we are dooming ourselves in the long term.

--B
bkhote

Postby swamper on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm

ELLE wrote:
swamper wrote:quote:

The kids like her because they trust her and she's fair, not because she's easy to bullshit or she's their friend. There are enough problems in this town without creating them where they don't exist.

Hold your horses there......did I not preface my comment with the fact that I did not KNOW Mrs. Regan personally? As it happens, I DID see Dr. Lally in operation and I believe she let certain students slide, thus the favoritism comment. I agree with you that she was weak in the leadership dept. trying too hard to be the kids' friend at the expense of strong discipline sorely needed at the HS level. Certainly not trying to "create" a problem as you suggested. Hopefully what "people seemingly more in the know on this subject" are saying about Mrs. Regan will ultimately prove true....guess we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I think the last "excellent" principal that TMHS had was Mr. McGuirk (sp) and that's going back YEARS.
swamper

Postby Zeebamom on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:55 pm

The way I'm seeing it is that they selected someone who has only been an educator for 12 years and without any experience "leading" a school. Regardless of how much she's liked, I would feel more comfortable with a little more of a search to see who else was available. Didn't they have hiring committees and a screening process for the small elemenary schools when those principal jobs came up? Why wouldn't they do the same for our new flagship high school? I'm hearing the new principal is very "tech savy" so that's a strong point but I can't help wonder if Ms Lally was given the new position in order to slide the new principal in??? I'd be curious to see how many people were interviewed for that asst super's job or was that just opened internally as well.
Zeebamom

Postby boo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Huge slap in the face to Mrs. Osborne who IS 100% qualified and has been working as an Asst. Principal for a while now. HUGE difference between 5th & 6th graders and High Schoolers
boo

Next

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School