So. what are they(students) saying?

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

So. what are they(students) saying?

Postby bkhote on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

What was their first impression about the New HS.
--B
bkhote

Re: So. what are they(students) saying?

Postby Mamaoftwo on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 am

My daughter loved it and hopes that everyone treats the new building with respect. She is excited to get going in her new classes and has already been given homework from a few of her teachers. Off to a great start!
Mamaoftwo

Postby Tech mom on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 am

My babysitter told me it's huge! lol...cant wait to see!
and FYI: my child started at the Ryan...and loves the school!!
Tech mom

Postby GuitarTeacher on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

The one kid I've spoken to is blown away and loves it! He did say that he heard about someone saying they wanted to be the "first to deface it." He assured me that any kid who defaces the new school will face the wrath of the rest of the student body.

Hopefully our gift to the kids is treated gratefully and respectfully.
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bkhote on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 am

GuitarTeacher wrote:The one kid I've spoken to is blown away and loves it! He did say that he heard about someone saying they wanted to be the "first to deface it." He assured me that any kid who defaces the new school will face the wrath of the rest of the student body.

Is there any way to report this person anonymously.
Even though some one said as fun it should be investigated just to let them know of consequence.

Also how about school inform students that they/parents would be paying for the cleanup.
--B
bkhote

Postby GuitarTeacher on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

bkhote wrote:
GuitarTeacher wrote:The one kid I've spoken to is blown away and loves it! He did say that he heard about someone saying they wanted to be the "first to deface it." He assured me that any kid who defaces the new school will face the wrath of the rest of the student body.

Is there any way to report this person anonymously.
Even though some one said as fun it should be investigated just to let them know of consequence.

Also how about school inform students that they/parents would be paying for the cleanup.
--B

I did tell him to make it known that this person was saying that. Hopefully he reported it.
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby sean_czarniecki on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 am

Just went to the open house - looks fantastic in there! If you get a chance to get over there today (ends at 1 pm), I recommend it!
sean_czarniecki

Postby bferrari on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 pm

We were very impressed by the new school. Couldn't believe how nice it is. We were very pleased to see such a big, smart investment such as this being made in our town.

I only hope that this new facility is properly maintained this time around.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby ELLE on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:40 pm

The new building is amazing. The technology is so current and everything looks so fresh. I especially liked the way they painted the gym floor with the Tewksbury colors. I hope this elevates the experience there and starts to right the ship so that kids will want to stay here.
ELLE

Postby bferrari on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Also very good to see the new "Virtual Desktop" computers in a lot of the class rooms. I assume they are "Zero Client" systems. Powered by VMWare Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI).

I'm assuming that this is the actual technology:
http://www.vmware.com/products/view/overview.html

Much easier to maintain from a central server location and easier to run. Everytime a user logs in, they get a fresh new Windows desktop installed virtually on the spot. So no leftover cruft from previous users on the system. Very nice!
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby swamper on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm

We were also very impressed with the new facility....the wow factor with functionality built in. Love the "central hub" concept, multi-faceted library and open to daylight/windows. The entire place echoed "college campus." Speaking as a parent whose kid is grown now and did not get to experience ANY of the upgraded facilities through the years, I hope the students appreciate what they have now been given and treat it with the utmost respect. I, too hope this beautiful new building is seriously maintained as well.
swamper

Postby Davlor on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 pm

We saw the new school today also. It was very nice. A bit toasty to.
People are saying that there is no AC in the school and my senior there says the school is hot.
Does anyone know the details on the AC? Maybe it hasn't been installed yet?
I'm sure there is a logical reason for this, right? This facility will be used for events year round.

Anyway, really nice. Thanks to all who voted yes for this project.
I cant't wait to see it completed with the new field, lanscaping and parking lot.
Davlor

Postby lifelongresident on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Why is there childrens playground equipment (slide, etc.) out in front of the high school?
lifelongresident

Postby elfling8 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I believe there is a preschool or daycare associated with it. The better question is why do our 5th and 6th graders have NO playground equipment or reasonable amount of recess?
elfling8

Postby ELLE on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:39 am

That was my first reaction too - why do they have small children at the high school? The answer I got was they have an elective there for child care and the kids are in a pre-school drawn by lottery. There's a classroom inside with toys for the kids too. I think if students want to get into teaching this is a great elective. As for the Ryan, I think 5th grade is getting a little old for a playground, they just need fresh air.
ELLE

Next

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School