Kids found with Pot

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

Re: Kids found with Pot

Postby GuitarTeacher on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

bobr wrote:Hello:

...Excessive penalties can create a criminal record that may deny people access to college loans, certain professions, voting rights, and other benefits.
With many avenues for success unavailable, the opportunity to become a productive citizen is diminished....

Bob, if these are the penalties, and those penalties are known, then it would be their own fault! They'd make the choice to do it. If they are dumb enough to do it, knowing the penalties, then they suffer the penalties.

Maybe they should do something with their lives instead of killing brain cells and pumping tar into their lungs.

As a tireless anti-smoking (anything) advocate (and no, I'm NOT a liberal by any means), I'm not for legalizing useless and harmful products for "recreational use" so some kid who was stupid enough to do it and get caught doesn't have to face penalties. Sorry.

I don't mean this sarcastically at all. Cigarettes should be illegal as well. They are useless (completely). Legalizing another lung damaging, mind altering product would be a huge step backwards.
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bobr on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 am

GT:

Your position seems overly harsh.
Would you like to be damned for some decision you made as a teenager?
I certainly would not.

I am an atheist but a christian with a small 'c'.
I believe in mercy, forgiveness, and second chances.
I oppose penalties that far outweigh the seriousness of the action.
I am personally acquainted with many professionals who have made great contributions to society but would never had had the opportunity to make those contributions if your brand of righteous justice was the law of the land.
They may have killed some brain cells and pumped tar into their lungs but have they also led productive lives. The two are not mutually exclucive.

Bob Rauseo
bobr

Postby bigdaddy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 am

Bob R

I couldnt agree more with your views and perceptions.

Your posts are always in line with my thoughts.

Why should anyone be held severely punished for a minor indescretion
bigdaddy

Postby bobr on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Hello bigdaddy.

Well, now there are at least two of us.
Welcome.

Bob Rauseo
not so lonely TI poster
bobr

Postby GuitarTeacher on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm

You are misunderstanding. I don't think the laws should impact jobs, college, etc... later, but they DO know that these laws exist, and they willingly break them. Perhaps the penalties need to be adjusted rather than legalizing a product like that.
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bigdaddy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 pm

If you want to use that logic

Just about every time I stop at the corner of main and Shawsheen I can look at the cars opposite me and see teens texting on their phones. How many have been killed or injured doing this? Yet we still see it happen. It's the cAse of youthful invincibility. Kids brains work differently. They think they sent going to get hurt, caught, arrested or held accountable. Have you ever had a few beers and driven? Done something you shouldn't have? Put a candy bar in your coat as a kid?
The idea is should you go to jail for a little indiscretion? I don't think so. If its a hardcore crime, throw the book at them.
If someone is caught with say an ounce of pot when he was 18 or 19.should that mean he can never work for any company that does a background check? These days most do.
I know a great many people who would not have the job they have if that is the case.
Bill Clinton included. Oh wait he didn't inhale so that's OK.
bigdaddy

Postby GuitarTeacher on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

bigdaddy wrote:If you want to use that logic

Just about every time I stop at the corner of main and Shawsheen I can look at the cars opposite me and see teens texting on their phones. How many have been killed or injured doing this? Yet we still see it happen. It's the cAse of youthful invincibility. Kids brains work differently. They think they sent going to get hurt, caught, arrested or held accountable. Have you ever had a few beers and driven? Done something you shouldn't have? Put a candy bar in your coat as a kid?
The idea is should you go to jail for a little indiscretion? I don't think so. If its a hardcore crime, throw the book at them.
If someone is caught with say an ounce of pot when he was 18 or 19.should that mean he can never work for any company that does a background check? These days most do.
I know a great many people who would not have the job they have if that is the case.
Bill Clinton included. Oh wait he didn't inhale so that's OK.

When did I ever say they should go to jail? Hmmm?

I think they should be fined, yes, and reported to their parents if a minor. If it happens a 2nd, 3rd time, etc... the punishments get harsher and eventually they get a record if they're stupid enought to keep doing it.

They should be shown a diseased pair of lungs and the tar content of pot smoke and visit people dying of COPD and lung cancer.

And no, it shouldn't mean they never get to work for a company, etc.... I-NEVER-SAID-THAT! What I said, if you take emotion out of it, is that they KNOW the laws. I know what the punishment is for infractions and if I commit that infraction, no matter my age, I know I'm going to be punished.

I'm done with this "conversation." Very disappointed that you and Bob choose to attack my response rather than look at the finer point of it.
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bkhote on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 pm

And which one of you would take responsibility if this "little indiscretion" becomes a habit/addiction.
Its a know fact that once you get there, you are not much use to the society. In fact, they are more trouble to the society.
.. more crimes to fund their addiction.
May be that's why some employer perform a background check.

--B
bkhote

Postby reginas on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 pm

May be that's why some employer perform a background check.

--B

The US citizens and media didn't perform a background check, hence we ended up with the head of the CHOOMGANG as el Preidente

Not even sure who's argument I'm making. Smoke a little dope in HS and you can
still grow up to be the Pres.

or

maybe he cooked too many brain cells and should have been ineligiable
reginas

Postby towniegirl on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 am

The real disturbing thing is that the media did do the background check, they knew full well what they were getting and decided not to report it, but when it came to Bush and some DUI all of a sudden all bets were off, and of course if you kill someone in your Oldsmobile off a bridge you get a pass on that too.
towniegirl

Postby bobr on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 am

Hello:

Just bringing the thread back on topic. High school kids found with pot.
Not everything is about the media or President Obama.

I support the legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational use.
Similar to alcohol, I would support laws that made it illegal for someone under the age of 21 to buy, transport, or possess marijuana.

Bob Rauseo
Liberal non-pothead
bobr

Postby GuitarTeacher on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

I support the legalization of marijuana for...recreational use.

Why? What possible good could it do for society? What's the point? More lung cancer and COPD? More money for the healthcare industry? It makes zero sense to legalize something just so people can kill their braincells and pump more tar (3x more than cigarettes) into their lungs.

If anything, we need to be going the OTHER way, criminalize the sale of the deadliest and most useless product in our economy, cigarettes.

Lungs are meant to breathe air. It's bad enough the junk we pump into the air, but do we really need a product that, when used as intended, will destroy the ability of the user's body to provide oxygen to the heart and blood?

I'm sick of the "legalize it" garbage. It's a stupid, useless product (when applied to "recreation"). Keep it illegal, criminalize it, educate people about their bodies and if they are stupid enough to break the law, and their lungs, they face penalties.

I think there are FAR more important, productive and useful things to worry about than whether some idiot can pump tar into and hundreds of other toxins into his/her lungs legally. Waah Waah Waah, the potheads can't get their high legally. Cry me a river. Enough already.
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bobr on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Hello:

GT wrote: "I think there are FAR more important, productive and useful things to worry about than whether some idiot can pump tar into and hundreds of other toxins into his/her lungs legally."

I agree. I would rephrase to " I think there are far important and useful things to spend government resources on than arresting, prosecuting, and imprisoning some citizen who wishes to use marijuana."

The war on drugs is incredibly expensive.
And it doesn't work.
The only people who benefit are the the people who run privatized prisons.

Also, GT, I don't understand your need to call people names and belittle them. (stupid, idiots, Wah Wah Wah, etc.)
I think you could present your position without the name calling and condescension.
Judge not, that you not be judged.

Bob Rauseo
Respectful Freethinker
bobr

Postby GuitarTeacher on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I think you could present your position without the name calling and condescension.
Judge not, that you not be judged.

Bob Rauseo
Respectful Freethinker

Believe it or not Bob, I rarely ever speak or write like that, but people getting all worked up to support legalizing a useless and deadly products for "recreation use" is, well, stupid! Foolish! Short-sighted! Backwards!

I'm sorry if that seems overly harsh. Breathing toxins into one's lungs is stupid and not something that is worth lobbying for and certainly shouldn't be a legitimate industry.

I watched someone I love dearly waste away due to lung cancer and COPD. That was just from cigarettes. Add to that the product that you want legal, something that is inhaled deeper and has more tar, well, it's just unclear where any form of logic would support that.

Sorry, no sympathy for whining smokers of anything that want the right to destroy themselves, especially when it looks more and more like we're going to be paying for their treatment.

Thanks for the lecture on tone and word choices, now look around the anger and hurt behind those words and read the actual message instead of reacting to the tone of those messages.

Respect would require that you do that rather than complain about the context of my comments.

I stand by my statments. I'll leave you with that. Have a nice day. Take a deep breath and be glad that you can.
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby cjsmom on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

What if pot could be delivered only via tasty brownies?
cjsmom

PreviousNext

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School