Here we go again!

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

Here we go again!

Postby swamper on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm

When is enough, enough??? :x

From TewksburyPatch:

http://tewksbury.patch.com/articles/gro ... igh-school

Group Proposes 1,600-seat, Artificial Turf Stadium for New High School

FTCAC says present field plan insufficient for athletic needs.

By Bill Gilman

A group made up of parents, school district staff and members of the School Committee is proposing construction of a 1,600-seat, multi-use athletic complex as part of the new high school construction project.As part of the new $66 million high school, there are already plans for a new football field with seating for 500 and a natural grass surface surrounded by a six-lane synthetic track.However, members of Friends of the Tewksbury Community Athletic Complex say the plans are simply insufficient for the needs of the Athletic programs of the school and the community as a whole.

Read more here:
http://tewksbury.patch.com/articles/gro ... igh-school
swamper

Re: Here we go again!

Postby Rabib on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:54 am

swamper wrote:Hibner said he the group is planning to ask voters at future Town Meeting if they would be willing to allow $1.5 million in budgeted but unspent school construction funds be allocated for the higher-grade athletic complex.

No, no and no again. If there is unspent money, use it to pay down the debt or refund it to the taxpayers.
Rabib

Postby ELLE2 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 am

I am totally in favor of this plan. In the end it will save the town money because the fields won't have to be maintained. Having the ability to host tournaments will provide a source of revenue to the town as well. There isn't any request for additional funds, only that the money already budgeted be used for better sports fields. Bringing it up now allows for less rework later as the lines for electrical can be laid down with the first round of constuction. As for the tennis courts, the tennis team already has nowhere to play and no facitlity to host tournaments. These courts could also be used by residents on weekends when not in use by the students. Before you say no, think it all the way thru. I like the idea of the high school property being more community friendly, like it is in other towns. Here, we don't really have anything like this. I go to Shed Park in Lowell more than I go to Livingston, so I'd like something in-town that is useful, where I can meet up with people I know and enjoy some recreation. Livingston is too crowded and filled with mostly young kids playing youth sports.
ELLE2

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 am

In the long run, this is a good idea for alot of reasons.
Tewksbury2001

Postby KAV on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 am

I can understand altering the plans to utilize available money that we already approved to spend on the new school. I do think state-of-the-art fields are a good idea.

One thing though, last year I had a conversation with a man who maintains a turf field complex like this in a different town. (for the life of me I can't remember what town he was from). We walked around and he showed me different things on the field said how people think a turf field is "no maintainence" and it actually is a lot of maintenance. Cleats and wheelchairs can damage the track. Any colored gatorade, skittles, gum, etc stains the turf. The lines are already on the field, but have to be repainted with special paint. You have to be vigilant with people using the exit ramps they put over the track to protect it and you have to enforce the bans on candy, gatorade, etc.

Personally, I would like to know the cost difference between a turf and a professionally sodded field. I do think the bleachers, track and tennis courts, lighting (the rest) etc is a great idea - I'm just not sold on the artificial turf part. And I would hope a committee would interview the people who actually do the maintenance at other locations - who are free to speak (not referred by the turf company) - and not just the Athletic Director as they don't necessarily understand the work done by the maintenance crew.
KAV

Postby Clorox on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 am

Let's pay for books, teachers, upgrades to all the schools. This should have been part of the original plan if it is such a good idea or is so core to our schools. I can't see the state funding sports-plexes so a subset of kids can play on plastic grass.
Clorox

Postby splice on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 am

It's very easy to see that money can be spent in better ways. In the future the athletic fees to students may make this facility a moot point. The cost to participate is going out of control and there will be fewer student athletes.
splice

Postby Zeebamom on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 am

Oh my gosh, I won't be able to afford to stay in this town if this keeps up! That is the trouble here, money doesn't seem to be an object for some people who then go out and advocate for the "biggest and the best" of everything we build. I wish Mr Dick had come out with his support for this before the election, there would have been two blanks from this house beside his name! How will this be decided? At a town meeting, special election or can the SC or Selectmen just approve this themselves?
Zeebamom

Postby cozmo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 am

I thought most people were happy to finally get a new school with a football stadium and 500 seats but I guess that's not enough for some people! If there is money left over then as someone else said use it to upgrade some of the schools. We close a fire station half a year yet some people want to raise $500,000 in private funds to build a new stadium? No wonder this Town has money problems!
cozmo

Postby moretpani on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:40 am

This town has money problems BECAUSE WE UPGRADE (Not even build) a SENIOR CENTERS FOR $ 4 ½ million :)
moretpani

Postby mike_flynn on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am

Rabib wrote:No, no and no again. If there is unspent money, use it to pay down the debt or refund it to the taxpayers.

Rabib,

This is not unspent money. This is money not yet borrowed.

The town should only be borrowing just enough money to cover the cost of the New High School project as presented to the voters. If they are looking to the taxpayers to fund any added-scope amenities, they should ask the voters for approval.
mike_flynn

Postby U8Coach on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am

This is something I would love to see happen, but I cannot say that I agree with the philosophy here.

We are borrowing the money for the new high school. During the election I heard from several candidates that it was time to cut up the credit card. I was nodding my head.

If we had the money or were going to raise the money, I would be all for it and would volunteer to raise the funds.

I love the complex and I dream of watching my daughters play on such a field, but our elemenatry schools are in physical distress as is the central fire station. I think we have to focus our priorities on things we need to do rather than things we would like to have.
U8Coach

Postby GuitarTeacher on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 am

U8Coach wrote:...but our elemenatry schools are in physical distress as is the central fire station. I think we have to focus our priorities on things we need to do rather than things we would like to have.

Agreed!
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby melli_fera on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm

This probably would be a good idea in the long run, rather than having to borrow more $$ 10 years from now to "upgrade".

However, I'd rather see all the booster clubs get together and raise funds for it privately. Personally, I'd be very willing to purchase a brick, for example, in my brother's name (class of 2010) to raise money for such a project. $100-$500 donation gets you lifetime recognition. I know that the football boosters had something similar at the fieldhouse. Those names should be added to a multi-plated plaque for posterity and displayed at the new field/complex somewhere, and an opportunity to purchase a new naming opportunity should be made. Wouldn't it be great if a private investor would step forward and NAME the complex in turn for paying for it or a portion of it??
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby splice on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 pm

melli_fera wrote:This probably would be a good idea in the long run, rather than having to borrow more $$ 10 years from now to "upgrade".

However, I'd rather see all the booster clubs get together and raise funds for it privately. Personally, I'd be very willing to purchase a brick, for example, in my brother's name (class of 2010) to raise money for such a project. $100-$500 donation gets you lifetime recognition. I know that the football boosters had something similar at the fieldhouse. Those names should be added to a multi-plated plaque for posterity and displayed at the new field/complex somewhere, and an opportunity to purchase a new naming opportunity should be made. Wouldn't it be great if a private investor would step forward and NAME the complex in turn for paying for it or a portion of it??

Yeah, how about Trump field? :mrgreen:
splice

Next

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School