New Field Status?

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

New Field Status?

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 am

What is the status of the new field proposal? I think it is a good idea.
Tewksbury2001

Re: New Field Status?

Postby splice on Sun May 08, 2011 10:04 am

The status should be "dead". The idea should be poisoned and killed.
splice

Postby ELLE on Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 am

Tewksbury2001 wrote:What is the status of the new field proposal? I think it is a good idea.

It will be put to a vote at some point.
ELLE

Postby concerned_as_usual on Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 am

i'm curious how it can be put to a vote? It could not be added from the beginning and be part of the matching funds and we voted to fund a new HS based on getting 60/40 state money. How can you now try to direct unspent/uncollected money from that vote to something else?
If you want to try an overide then give it your best shot but we already voted on what we would pay for at town meeting for the new HS.
Someone should look into the legality of funding one thing with the money allocated and voted on for something else.
concerned_as_usual

Postby Tewksbury2001 on Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 am

Maybe the question is, if the money is all part of the same approval and the field would be covered in part with matching funds from the state, why would we not approve this?
Tewksbury2001

Postby swamper on Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 am

To the best of my knowledge, the ORIGINAL plan is the only one included in the State match.
swamper

Postby melli_fera on Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am

Again, IF (and that's a key word) the project comes in under budget, we should gratefully accept the savings, and reduce the loan we're taking out for our portion of the project.
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby splice on Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 am

melli_fera wrote:Again, IF (and that's a key word) the project comes in under budget, we should gratefully accept the savings, and reduce the loan we're taking out for our portion of the project.

Amen, to that.
splice

Postby ELLE on Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 am

Yes, because saving $10 per year per family is worth having a dirt field instead of turf.
ELLE

Postby concerned_as_usual on Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

ELLE wrote:Yes, because saving $10 per year per family is worth having a dirt field instead of turf.

It's $10 here, $21 here, $5 here for as long as I lived in this town (16 years). Nothing ever is -$10 or -$15. We have to say no somewhere. The will continue to only add a few dollars everytime some great project comes up. I am paying enough. I am in favor of fundraising for this so the people that use the fields can pay.
concerned_as_usual

Postby tinkerbell on Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm

The current project - funded as is - contains a multisport field - likely sufficient for the purposes of all who will want to use it, as well as originally satisafactory in the eyes of all those who are screaming now. I personally have no interest in seeing this athletic complex project gain legs and subsequently having the football team take over the facilities slotted for other team's practices and games and spending any more money. Because you know what will happen. Think for a minute, does anybody besides the football teams use Doucette now? Not many if any. They are not likely to share. You better make sure the other teams are going to get Doucette Field (as well as the money to refurbish according to their needs) in return for placing the Redmen football team - cuz you know that's who'll end up there - on a field on the grounds of the new TMHS.

Furthermore, I do not understand that if they are so in love with turf and lights that they just don't FUNDRAISE to replace/refurbish what they have ala Burlington High School.

TMHS has produced far more scholars than professional athletes - a previous poster was right - and any discretionary funds should be allocated to academics and nothing but academics.
tinkerbell

Postby splice on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Here we go. Let the games begin. From Lowell Sun, Aug. 5, 2011.

By Joyce Tsai, jtsai@lowellsun.com
Updated: 08/05/2011 09:32:03 AM EDT

TEWKSBURY -- Two members of the High School Building Committee are at odds over who should get a say on whether school construction funds would help pay for a $2.2 million state-of-the-art athletic complex project proposed by the Friends of the Tewksbury Athletic Complex.

Committee member Ron Hall said he believes it should go to a town vote first for approval.

Committee Chairman James Cutelis said he believes it should go first to the school administration, School Committee, then the building committee, and then a town vote. He said that's how similar votes have been ratified before Town Meeting.

"I would suggest we get an opinion of the town counsel," Hall said after a brief yet tense squabble on the issue at last night's High School Building Committee meeting.

The dispute was a continuation of a heated discussion from last month, when Cutelis, during an agenda item on abutters' concerns, raised the question of what would happen if the nonprofit were not able to raise enough money through private fundraising.

He said in such an event, the nonprofit may ask the committee to use some of the "change-order money" allotted for the new high-school's construction -- and talked about what he believed that process would entail.

But that ruffled the feathers of some members who felt that it overstepped boundaries. Hall also said last night that he took issue with parts of the discussion he believed were left out of the minutes.

"The

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
way it came across to me during that meeting was that the committee could approve the expenditures of funds without going for a town vote by issuing a change order," he said. "And you have no right to do that. That's not in the scope of the project that was presented to the townspeople."
However, Cutelis said that he never said such a change could be decided by the school administration or committees alone.

"For something that big, we would want town approval," he said.

He also emphasized that the Friends of the Tewksbury Athletic Complex has not requested financial help from the town, but still plans to raise the funds privately.

"I just raised the hypothetical situation that they may need some of this money," Cutelis explained after the meeting. "And if that was the case, the process would be that way -- but it's my understanding that they have no intention of doing that."

However, Selectman and committee member Anne Marie Stronach said she asked that they be tabled as formal agenda items.

"People were sharing their ideas" despite the fact they weren't on the agenda -- and the Friends should be there to participate, she said.

"It went over the line of our response," she said. "What the Friends is doing is one thing, and what the committee is doing is another. And we don't want to blur their lines."

Cutelis said he makes no secret that he's a strong supporter of the project, but that he also isn't trying to push it through without town approval.

"This is a public process, and everything has been transparent and out in the open," he said.
splice

Postby swamper on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm

"This is a public process, and everything has been transparent and out in the open," he said."

Until they don't get what they want and try to circumvent around it? I don't trust it and hope the dissenting members remain steadfast.
swamper

Postby cozmo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Mr. Cutelis, the vote was a public process also why can't you just go by what the people voted for?
cozmo

Postby splice on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Do you ever get the feeling that you're being railroaded? Gotta find a way to push back. This is just wrong.
splice

Next

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School