New Field Status?

This forum is for discussion of the High School and related issues.

Re: New Field Status?

Postby Harry on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:52 pm

First, Mr Aylward's comments are quite telling. We should ignore the voters because enough did not vote. That's...ah....oh I'll leave it alone.

The Town does not charge itself for water. So a grass field can be watered as much as they want and there won't be any bill.
Grass is safer to play on as well. Artificial Turf has caused a lot of injuries to knees for example. Some NFL Teams have returned to grass fields to help lesson injuries. The New England Patriots field is a new state of the art material with a "shock absorber" base underneath it to make it softer and more forgiving. So are the "Turf" folks looking at old or new technology for this field?

Is playing on a grass field all that bad? really? Do the supporters of this "turf" concept want turf so it can be used for other purposes other than sports?

Now artificial turf lasts 8-10 years at 700-800 K per field. In 8-10 years it will be close to a Million to replace it (counting inflation) Now just because you lay down artificial turf it ain't a "set it and forget it" deal. Artificial Turf requires constant care. It lifts and needs to be re tightened. It must also be constantly be cleaned as dirt and debris builds up in the fibers and turns the turf into a rock.

How many here have faith our Town will properly maintain this field?

Now I think these articles below make goods cases for grass and for turf. However I think if you read them with an open mind a grass field will serve the kids just fine.

http://www.fieldturf.com/field-hockey-turf/faq/

http://www.redhenturf.com/pdfs/TheTruth ... alTurf.pdf
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby qwilson on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

WOW. What is wrong with people in this town.

I agree that the town voted against a tax increase to pay for this project. They didn't vote against the actual project. What residents told me was that they weren't interested in taking some of the extra funds from the new HS to pay to build a field. Find a different way to fund it. That appears to be what these people have done. Found a grant, worked to get it replied to in a short time frame and apply. Maybe they get it, maybe they don't. This isn't coming out of anyone's pocket. It is funds that we may get to provide a turf field which will allow more use in the fall and the spring.

There are all kinds of grants out there. If people are interested in grants for other things, they should go spend the time learning about them and applying for them, for the Town of Tewksbury.

I am so sick of reading about people bashing this town. In the last few years we have completely changed the way we have done things in this town. Years ago, they would have simply added the field to the project and dealt with the consequences. Oh by the way, we could have done that also. We have chosen to be up front and out in the open with every thing we do. We have brought all the issues to the residents and let them make the decisions. We have taken issues that have been ignored for the last 10-15 years and dealt with them. We have cut the budget while continuing to provide services to residents. We continue to work hard and find ways to provide more while spending less.

If you feel things are being done today like they have been done in the past then you clearly are not paying attention. Things are drastically different with Mr. Montouri and Dr. O'Connor making major changes in all areas of the town.

I am proud to live in Tewksbury. I am proud that I work hard to contribute solutions and not complaints. I am glad that a group of residents is looking to provide our kids something they think is better than sitting around complaining that things aren't good enough. I wish more people would get up from behind their keyboards with all the answers and actually get involved and make things better.
Scott Wilson
qwilson

Postby Harry on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Scott, who the hell do you think you are.....

So.....if the voters (some) say we have had enough spending, there must be something wrong with us?

The heat get to you today Scott?

The “grant” does NOT pay for the entire field Scott. What part about that are you not getting?

Also the debate over turf or grass is a worthy topic. Except for you and Mr Aylwood who would prefer to call residents speaking out “bashing”

When Patrick Henry gave his give me liberty or give me death speech it’s comforting to me to know that had you been there you would have jumped up and called him a “basher” We would still be a colony of Britain with that mentality Scott.

Probably would have thrown in a few “what’s wrong with you people” while you were at it.

People voted and said no Scott. Some don’t appreciate the attempt at an end around a mere few months later.

But then I guess we are lucky you didn’t just “go ahead and do it anyway” whether we wanted it or not, I’m clearly not worthy.

Listen, get out of the heat for the rest of the day. Sit down and Google up Abraham Lincoln’s saying when he was paraphrasing the good book and in particular Proverbs 17:28. You’ll find it. You may want to read it several times. Then please check back in here and apologize for your post, it would be the right thing to do.

Enjoy your evening.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby GuitarTeacher on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm

If this grant were for the total cost of the turf and its maintenance, people wouldn't have a problem with it. People are concerned about it still costing us outside of the grant.

Mr. Wilson, I do agree with you. I've been saying as much to people for years. There have been great changes.

Still, we said "no" and a grant to cover part of the cost doesn't cut it. When are we looking at the cost of replacing this field? Where will that money come from? You have to understand, with all of the problems from the past, many in this town are wounded and battle-scarred from the people in office before you.

I applaud your efforts and understand your frustration, but please read between the lines and see why people are upset. It's not for nothing.
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby Harry on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 pm

This Town has;

1. A sewer bill that's exceeding 150 million and rising
2. Second highest water/sewer rates in Massachusetts
3. 160 million in unfunded public employee health care
4. 55 million in unfunded public employee pension debt
5. 30 million dollar judgment against us by the EPA for Rocco’s landfill
6. At least 3 elementary schools getting long in the tooth
7. Aging center fire station
8. South Tewksbury station unable to open year round
9. Many roads in poor condition
10. I have lost count at the amount of overrides and debt exemptions we now owe.

These are but a few of the looming issues. There are many more. Many of the above costs are going to be much higher than the stated numbers.

We have been told we have seen the “best” of the recovery. Not good. I myself have not had a raise in pay in almost 5 years and it’s becoming painful. My taxes, water, gasoline, groceries and everything else keep rising.

There will be a day of reckoning, most assuredly.

Scott’s post is condescending at the least and infuriating at worst. So yes I “bashed” it and make no damn apologies for doing it.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby cozmo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Nothing is wrong with the people in this Town Scott. Just because everyone doesn't agree with what some people want doesn't mean there has to be something wrong with them! Possibly people don't like the idea that if the grant doesn't cover the full cost of the turf field some have said the Town may see if they can come up with the rest of the money. We have more important things we need in this town than a turf field.
cozmo

Postby Zeebamom on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm afraid some of the people pushing for this new field have forgotten what I'm sure their parents taught them... No means no, not ask me a little later, not ask me tomorrow, not say I'll give you a little money toward it now can I have it!! NO!! I am concerned that if the grant comes through and the extra money is donated, the SC will take money from their budget to maintain the fields that could/should be used for educational purposes. They laid off the library aides that probably made a small salary because we needed to count pennies so how could they justify spending money on a field?? I could go on and on about other things needed in town, gifted student program in the elementary schools, all day kindergarten, more phys ed for our kids, elementary band etc etc. Please, no means no, there is NO MONEY !!!
Zeebamom

Postby Little Willie on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Scott what you DON"T GET is I and a majority of REGISTERED VOTERS at town meeting said no to this. If this is going to get done without costing us one red cent, I am all for it as long as there is language that when this has to be replaced, that cost doesn't fall onto the backs of us overburdened taxpayers. Tell me you need money to address academics, I'll run to town meeting to vote for it. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME FOR THINKING LIKE THIS?? If there is, then the 4 years I spent in the military were for naught. I wanted a voice, and I was willing to give away 4 years of my life to make sure everybody had a voice, whether it was in agreement with me or not. There i needed to vent!! Sorry
Little Willie

Postby splice on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Scott, did you see the definition a few posts back on the word "bamboozle"? I think we're being dealt from the bottom of the deck.
splice

Postby Mr Mac on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:38 pm

The way I see it, the politicians that run this town are the problem!
Mr Mac

Postby bferrari on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 am

Remember the big Town Meeting vs CIty Council Vote ??? "Let the voters vote", was the cry !

Only if it doesn't go their way that is. THE VOTERS HAVE SPOKEN, already....
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby concerned_as_usual on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Scott,
I know you suffer from smartest guy in the room syndrome but sometimes the other people are correct. If someone came forward and said " We are looking to secure a grant for $400k to go towards the turf field and the other $350k is coming from __________( Not the taxpayers who voted this down). Then they say we have discussed this with the abutters and have an understanding, and we know that over the next 10 years it will cost x$ to upkeep and maintain and we are getting this money from _____________( Not the taxpayers who voted this down) and then in 12-15 years we will need to replace and dispose of this field and this money is coming from ____________( Not the taxpayers who voted this down) We would all get behind this. But to keep throwing half baked ideas at all of us already over burdened taxpayers and not give us the full view of the finacial picture is wrong and should not be agreed to by anyone.
concerned_as_usual

Postby melli_fera on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 pm

qwilson wrote:Years ago, they would have simply added the field to the project and dealt with the consequences. Oh by the way, we could have done that also. We have chosen to be up front and out in the open with every thing we do.

Wow!! Thank God!

I recall this card being pulled with the Charter discussions.

Apparently, we are oh so lucky that these committees have had mercy on us.

It's beginning to sound like a threat.
Melissa
melli_fera

Postby bigdaddy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 am

Lets have the town set up a link on their website for anyone who wants the field. They can enter their name. Once the total is calculated (most likely 300 or so people want this field)
take $400,000 and divide by the 300 households,they can voluntarily be billed over 3 years ( roughly $450 dollars per household)

There is the field they want.

Scott I nominate you as a board of selectman member to head this up.
bigdaddy

Postby swamper on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Sounds like a plan....LOL
swamper

PreviousNext

Return to Tewksbury Memorial High School