Boys and Girls Club Open Discussion

Discuss Boys and Girls Club issues.

Postby magrn89 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 am

jules2, thanks for the reply...I did not even know the billerica b&g club still existed.....Like I said in my previous post, we are attending lessons at the lowell b&g club, which actually is very nice, not complaining about that, just wish there was something more accessible here in Tewksbury...Well, maybe someday, schools need the money more right now!!! Thats defintely a priority needed in this town. I have lived here for 40 years, and my family well over 100 years......, not much has changed around here, just that we are deeper in debt, rather than cow p**p!!!!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
magrn89

Postby ELLE on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am

That pretty much sums up the Tewksbury experience. So many people leave town to meet their needs, including within the school community. So when it comes time to invest in Tewksbury most people don't want to be bothered - they are already spending those dollars to meet their needs elsewhere. It's the old chicken and the egg problem. The $10,000,000 question is how do you break the cycle and bring people back to our community?
ELLE

Postby Nacca on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:30 pm

"The $10,000,000 question is how do you break the cycle and bring people back to our community? "

I know! We can build a big ugly overpriced Senior Center and wait for all of the kids to grow old enough to use it. Nahhh, that would never pass ......
Nacca

Postby Rabib on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Where is the Boys club in Billerica? And does anyone have contact/pricing/scheduling information?
Rabib

Postby Nacca on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:12 pm

It is off of Concord Rd. just a little ways past the town center
http://www.billericaboysandgirlsclub.com/
Nacca

Postby nana8again on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Why is the Rec. closed until after Labor Day? They wouldn't allow the kids in there today???
nana8again

Postby joan_f_arc on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 am

I recently viewed the Billerica G&B club. Why was this tabled in our town? It's not for underserved or priveleged. Also, how would this effect the teen center/rec center anyway? Thas is sort of a private entity and there are age and other restrictions. Couldn't the two co-exist? Nah, guess not here as the 'children' can't 'co-exist' with the seniors apparently. BUT, I think if we got the seniors on board with it (since they all travel to use pools for water aerobics and the likes) they may rally FOR it. Perhaps in this time of tight funding we should look into obtaining grants or whatever to get such a center. Especially with user fees...we'd probably get a higher attendance rate with a B&G if it worked with sports and extra curricular activities...parents would get more bang for their buck, more would participate, and so on...money being used wisely?
joan_f_arc

Postby tjlmom2005 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:22 am

Perhaps taking a week off after having camp all summer? Or maybe clean-up?
tjlmom2005

Postby joan_f_arc on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm

I was thinking perhaps it had something to do with football/cheerleaders. Not sure. But anyone know what that brand new building is? Is that the 'heli-hanger' or horse stable or a new equipment building for football.
joan_f_arc

Postby swamper on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 pm

I believe whatever it is, it is Ginsburg's.
swamper

Postby KAV on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 pm

The building is the horse barn - not sure where the helipad is. I think it looks great with all the landscaping that's done too. Adding "Redmen Pride" to the sign on the back was a thoughtful touch too. It's the talk of the football fields this week.
KAV

Re: Boys and Girls Club Open Discussion

Postby suz on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:27 am

Hi All,

Just found this forum and am wondering what happened with the Boys and Girls Club discussions. I recently was over at the Billerica B & G club, they just completed a beautiful renovation and it made me think how much we absolutely NEED something in this town. I'm willing to jump in and get this issue back up for discussion and action......anyone with me on this?!?!?!
suz

Postby tjlmom2005 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm all for something for my kids to go to after school - my son currently goes to the Teen Center sometimes now, but there's only so much they can really do there. He's outgrown the after-school programs run by the schools, so it would be nice for him to have some place to go, stay out of trouble AND have fun.
"Just say no" prevents teenage pregnancy the way 'Have a nice day' cures chronic depression"
tjlmom2005

Postby suz on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am

Can anyone provide info on who was on the prior committee or who we need to get in touch with to revisit this issue? Thanks! :D
suz

Previous

Return to Boys & Girls Club Committee