Jobs for Massachusetts

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Jobs for Massachusetts

Postby dougsears on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 am

Hey there -

I just finished going over our 2011 tax returns. Nothing reminds me quite like filing my taxes does about why who wins each election really matters. For me, that means helping my friend and former running mate Richard Tisei become my Congressman, working to re-elect US Senator Scott Brown, doing what I can to support Mitt Romney's run for President, helping dozens of elected state reps and senators hold serve, and helping some worthy challengers bring additional balance to Beacon Hill.

Remember, if you don't play, you can't complain - or something like that.

I know some of you attended the dinner my former boss Bill Weld hosted for my other former boss Paul Cellucci a couple of weeks ago. As most of you know, Paul is battling ALS - otherwise known as "Lou Gehrig's disease" and is confined to a wheelchair. This is a very harsh disease. I remember visiting with him less than a year ago and he was still up and about. Nonetheless, Paul made a decision when he was diagnosed to turn a negative into a positive, and decided to raise money for ALS research at UMass Medical School. So far, he and his crew of admirers - which includes yours truly - have been able to raise about $1.8 MM. Pretty cool.

Paul has always been an immensely optimistic person, and his ability to turn this cruel twist of fate into a positive display of good works and grace is nothing new. Still, the guy's got guts, and deserves to be supported. If you Google Paul Cellucci ALS Champion Fund, you'll learn all you need to know to join the fight. Thanks.

For those of you who'd like to learn a thing or two about the current state of the Massachusetts economy, I came across an amazing report that was put out by a local think tank called MassINC. The report is called, "Recapturing the American Dream: Meeting the Challenges of The Bay State's Lost Decade." It's over 200 pages of charts, graphs, and trenchant analysis with one unmistakable conclusion - growing a state economy is no longer just about education. Massachusetts still has the highest college graduation rate in the nation and some very good comparative scores on high school performance and graduation rates - and yet between 2000 and 2010, we grew our economy by a minus 150,000 jobs. Our overall performance on job creation was significantly below the national average, and real wages grew almost not at all.

I have no idea why this report hasn't generated more discussion - it's a real call to arms for anyone who wants to see the people of this state succeed in the future. I would recommend it to anyone who cares about this great state and its wonderful citizens.

And last but certainly not least, for people of faith this is a very special time of year. I hope you all have a chance to make the most of it.

Be well.

Charlie Baker
dougsears

Return to General Legislative Issues