Drivers license for illegal aliens...legislators, please wei

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Postby LowellTech on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:33 pm

Legislators...please advise the House Bill number and any known public hearings currently scheduled on this bill. Also, please advise your thoughts and how you plan to vote on this bill. Thank you.

Lowell Sun Editorial - October 31, 2003

What's going on here?

Massachusetts lawmakers are proposing to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens in need of a ride, when citizens who are jobless, lack proper housing, or paying high schooling costs can't get a break on anything.

This is ridiculous. And it's disappointing that the Mass. Association of Police Chiefs is even considering whether to support legislation that would give a walk to lawbreakers. (The good chiefs are now leaning against it.)

The House bill would turn illegal aliens into "honest" lawbreakers by providing them with an individual taxpayer identification number they can use in lieu of a Social Security card.

One only knows what else they'll try to obtain with the fabricated ID. A gun maybe? A new identity? Welfare benefits (remember the Dukakis days, when illegal Social Security cards were handed out to non-citizens?)

OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS SECTION
10/31/2003
- Halloween haters need to 'ghoul' it on holiday

Liberal Democrats are selling the bill as a public safety measure. They say it's better to have an illegal you know than one you don't. Giving them licenses means they'll register cars and pay auto insurance. It could raise as much as $10 million in new state revenues, they claim.

First, who's to say illegal aliens surviving and thriving under the radar screen will want to come forward?

Second, the money's a pittance considering the price we'll pay in further eroding immigration laws and security. Remember, it was right here in Massachusetts where Sept. 11 was launched by terrorists who used fake driver's licenses to attend flight schools.

We're not saying illegal aliens are terrorists. Most are decent, hard-working individuals seeking a better life here than in their native country. From Maine to California, many work in low-paying jobs that Americans refuse to fill. They represent an economic force for U.S. farmers.

Still, their situation creates a gaping safety hole for terrorists to exploit. Also, those working in under-the-table jobs, where they don't pay taxes, are a drain on state, local and federal governments providing health and educational services to them and their families.

We agree that a comprehensive review of immigration policy is long overdue. President Bush and Congress must summon the courage to deal with it, because the frustration is reaching a boiling point. How can Bush and Congress demand Americans be vigilant in the war on terror while they ignore the millions of aliens crossing open borders from Mexico and Canada? And what of the foreigners who arrive here on U.S. visas but never leave the country?

Why should these illegal aliens get fast-tracked for U.S. citizenship, just because federal agencies refuse to enforce the law?

Certainly, cutting them breaks on driver's licenses and college tuition isn't the answer. These "state's rights amendments" to existing federal law merely weaken American resolve and make immigration policy meaningless.

It's disheartening that foreigners who've applied for legal immigration to the U.S. and have been waiting for years to come here have few advocates, while illegal aliens breaking the law can count on any number of political grandstanders for help.

Massachusetts would be making a big mistake to approve a bill that masks a serious problem in need of total mending.
LowellTech

Postby Josh Lyman on Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:45 pm

Doesn't this sound really stupid, idiotic, pathetic. What do you want from the liberals. They are desperate to get votes. Please also note that now they are talking about FREE TUITION for illegal immigrants to state colleges!!!! Do you believe this s**t! We are all here working our hinies off to provide for our families and the liberal squank squad wants you to pay for these freeloading illegals to go to college for free! Meanwhile you have to pay to send your own kids to school while you are taxed at 50% to support welfare sh$t hole people who wouldn't lift a finger for themselves because they know they can get it for free.

Yet you out there in the liberal squank squad call me a loud mouth all the while the democrats are pulling the wool over your pathetic, stupid eyes. Grow up!
Josh Lyman

Postby LowellTech on Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:32 pm

JL - As a moderate conservative, I find your postings less than constructive. The actual content gets lost because you rant so much.
Please try to respond in a more appropriate manner in the future. Thank you.
LowellTech

Postby rujoun1 on Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LowellTech:
JL - As a moderate conservative, I find your postings less than constructive. The actual content gets lost because you rant so much.
Please try to respond in a more appropriate manner in the future. Thank you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lowell Tech, I don't consider myself either a liberal or a conservative, but I certainly consider myself a compassionate, intelligent person. I for one find Josh and anyone else who thinks like him (and I'm sure there are many) truly the pathetic people. Again, I have a relative that rants like him, who has been judged mentally incompetent. We just delete any emails from him. They are just so narrow and so biased. Then again, I am very interested in Josh, his background, what he does for work. It does fascinate me how a person functions in that state of mind. Often they are very hypercritical and use the same systems and behaviours that they criticize. Aren't human's interesting!
rujoun1

Postby Josh Lyman on Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:54 pm

Hyacinth, I'll ignore your personal liberal dribble since you have a right to it. A right given to you by our troops.

There's nothing wrong with being compassionate. But what gives the government the right to tax you to death all for the sake of supporting a bunch of people that refuse to do anything for themselves? I commend your compassion, just don't take food out of my children's mouth for it. I donate plenty to charity, I don't need liberals giving it away to lazy people.

So giving free tuition to illegal aliens is ok with you? Driver's licenses as well?

By the way, you hit the nail right on the head actually. You'd like to know what I do for work. That's the point. I do work, unlike alot of others.
Josh Lyman

Postby bferrari on Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:06 pm

Not to add fuel to this crazy fire, but I believe Dean is the Democratic front runner, no? He's trying way to hard to be everything too everyone. Here's his latest incarnation. Actually interesting reading:
http://thekicker.nymetro.com/archives/000119.html

Howard Dean Outs Himself As a Metrosexual

Sort of. From the Denver Post's report about Dean's Boulder fundraising stop:

"Dean declared himself a 'metrosexual,' [Ed.—He just lost my vote.] the buzz phrase for straight men in touch with their feminine sides, as he touted his accomplishments in 'equal justice' for gay and lesbian couples.

But then he waffled.

'I'm a square,' Dean declared, after professing his metrosexuality to a Boulder breakfast audience with an anecdote about being called handsome by a gay man. 'I like (rapper) Wyclef Jean and everybody thinks I'm very hip, but I am really a square, as my kids will tell you. I don't even get to watch television. I've heard the term (metrosexual), but I don't know what it means. [Ed.—Oop! Got it back.]'"

Dean Courts Wide Spectrum [Denver Post]
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby sdeackoff on Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:26 pm

Howard Dean for President!

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy..." -- Alexander Fraser Tytler, economist at Edinburgh University, during the American Revolution.

Thanks to Barbara Anderson for that quote from her Sunday column

Givers and takers in context

And then there is good old Michael Goldman in another editorial that same day

"You sit at your kitchen table with your head in your hands, and despite all that you do, no matter how many hours you work, no matter how much you cut back, you find yourself falling further into debt."

Something to help with the fiscal pain
sdeackoff

Postby Crane on Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:47 pm

Let's start with lowering taxes. Then we will have more money to spend on our families and less on welfare.
Crane

Postby LowellTech on Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:54 pm

Legislators...care to respond?
LowellTech

Postby Rep Jim Miceli on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:20 pm

I am absolutely opposed to any legislation that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain a drivers license. I think it is a ridiculous idea.

The bill number is H 2292, and it is currently before the Homeland Security Committee.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call my office 617-722-2692.

Thank you for your interest.

Jim
Rep Jim Miceli

Postby tigerchief on Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:14 pm

That's GREAT Jim!!!.....Thanks for taking the time to let us know where you stand...

Any ideas how we can slow down Tucker and Finegold's support of this hideous Mall proposal???

For the most part, we've been abandoned by our Town Government, and are now being fed a bill of goods from a multi billion dollar gorilla....!!!

Those of us in opposition, need those leaders whom feel as we do, to come forward and be more vocal with regards to their opposition !!!

Didn't your office at one time conduct a local polling of voters with regards to a Mall in Tewksbury???
tigerchief

Postby Josh Lyman on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:27 pm

Thank you Representative and I am very appreciative that you think practically and always seemed to have been that way. You must get alot of flack because of that from your democratic comrades. You are the last of the John Kennedy breed of democrat. One who is liberal, but always put the country first as JFK was notoriously pro-military and pro-country and was interested in getting both parties to work together instead of what is going on nowadays.

I'm sure they hate it when there's a free thinker among them. Please keep up the great work.

Josh
Josh Lyman

Postby shot-n-mist on Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:34 pm

Hmmm.. from ass kicker to ass kisser in just over a week.

But thanks for the history lesson. I mistakenly thought JFK lost his trust in the Military Establishment after the Bay of Pigs fiasco....
shot-n-mist

Postby LowellTech on Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:21 am

LowellTech

Return to General Legislative Issues