Rep. Meehan changing history?

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Postby hansbure on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:43 am

I didn't see this referenced anywhere, and it seems like the kind of thing this site likes to hear about.

Our U.S. Rep has apparently been playing games with his Wikipedia. The article explains it all, but in brief, Rep. Meehan's staff replaced his Wikipedia bio with their own version, removing relevent, factual things that didn't reflect well upon Meehan.

A very questionable activity, if you ask me.

Here is a link to the (lengthy) article:
http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_3444567

Among other things, the staffers removed a reference to an (original) election pledge to serve no more than 4 terms and to lobby for similar rules in Congress. The staff would apprently like to push this under the rug, given that after 4 terms, Rep. Meehan did *not* step down.

Previous to this, I have to say I didn't have much of an opinion one way or another about Rep. Meehan, but this kind of behavior is incredibly irresponsible to me.

Thoughts?
hansbure

Postby CryFowler on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:38 am

You are free to submit your own articles for any topics. If you can provide proof, which there is much of on this topic, Wikipedia will include it.
CryFowler

Postby werac on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am

I'm not a big fan of Meehan, but the day after that story ran, there was a letter to the editor from Marty saying he was unaware of the aides doing it and that it was a waste of the aides times and he didn't approve of it. For what it's worth
werac

Postby hansbure on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 am

CryFowler,

I think you've misunderstood me. The Wikipedia article has been updated, and in fact, is currently in dispute (meaning there is active discussion on what the content should be). I have no doubt that the factual content for the article will be replaced.

I actually should have linked to that article, too, I suppose. Its:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Meehan

My point on posting here was to to make sure that everyone on this site was aware of the (IMO) suspect actions of our representative (technically it was his staff, though I personally doubt he was unaware of these actions). Perhaps I could have made my point more clear in original post.
hansbure

Return to General Legislative Issues