Please remember to vote this Tuesday.

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Please remember to vote this Tuesday.

Postby tomasek1000 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks! Jamison
Formerly Tomasek for Senator, now just Jamison Tomasek
tomasek2010@gmail.com
tomasek1000

Re: Please remember to vote this Tuesday.

Postby tomasek1000 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 am

And if you're feeling particularly motivated, would you like to hold a sign at the Tewksbury polls for 1-2 hours?

To date I have asked all the people I know, but this (the covering of the polls) is a huge operation so I am reaching out a little further.

If you call 978 474 1966 and speak to my very tolerant of her husband's campaign wife (she's also got a cold, but still soldiering on) she will get your details and plug you into the schedule.

Thanks!

Jamison
Formerly Tomasek for Senator, now just Jamison Tomasek
tomasek2010@gmail.com
tomasek1000

Postby Mom74 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Jack Wilson's campaign put a flier in my mailbox today - no stamp. I called the campaign to complain and the woman that answered the phone explained that the "kids" volunteering on the campaign accidentally put the fliers in mailboxes. She said the postmaster in Tewksbury called to complain and then fobbed it off as an honest mistake. Totally unprofessional, certainly not what I would want to see from someone representing me on Beacon Hill. Someone on the campaign certainly should have explained the rules to the "kids." I'm unimpressed.
Mom74

Postby elfling8 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sample ballot, or a list of what candidates are running for what positions tomorrow? I can't seem to find anything useful online for some reason, and would like to read up before going to the polls tomorrow.
Thanks!
(Of course, I could probably just play back all my answering machine messages to figure it out - grrrrrrr)
elfling8

Postby elfling8 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Ok - answered my own question finally. Apparently googling "massachusetts primary race 2010" yields better results than "massachusetts primary ballot 9/14" or other similar things.
For others looking:
http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleidx.htm
elfling8

Postby bferrari on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Don't forget to vote YES on Question 2, to Repeal the abusive 40B law ! But I don't think the Ballot Questions appear in the Primaries....
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby swamper on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm

That is correct, Bob. The three ballot questions will be on the Nov. 2nd ballot. Triple "yes". :wink:
swamper

Postby Mom74 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks Swamper for getting the info out on the ballot questions. Those questions may drive more people to the polls in November than the Governor's race... maybe.

As a follow up, I spoke with the post office today about Jack Wilson's campaign fliers. Apparently the post office is not allowed to fine on the first offense. He stated that the woman at Jack WIlson's campaign office (presumably the person I spoke with) sent her daughter out with the fliers to distribute. The mother was not aware that you cannot place this stuff in a mailbox. Who's running this campaign? One of the carriers captured about 300 and returned them to the post office.. they ought to send them back postage due, but who has the manpower for that?

It steams me that a candidate for state office doesn't play by the rules, especially the last day before primary election.

Nevertheless, don't forget to vote everyone!
Mom74

Postby BigBoss on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 am

What really bothers me is those who think they own the Town and put their signs all over public property and violate the Towns Zoning Laws by putting up signs that are too big. For the record, in Tewksbury no sign can be bigger than 6 sqft and needs to be placed at least 10ft off the roadway. Take a ride down 38, and honestly tell me if any of our incumbent legislators are playing by the rules. They have been in office so long (33 years one of them) they think they can do whatever they want. Its time for some fresh faces and new ideas!
BigBoss

Postby mr m on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 am

BigBoss wrote:What really bothers me is those who think they own the Town and put their signs all over public property and violate the Towns Zoning Laws by putting up signs that are too big. For the record, in Tewksbury no sign can be bigger than 6 sqft and needs to be placed at least 10ft off the roadway. Take a ride down 38, and honestly tell me if any of our incumbent legislators are playing by the rules. They have been in office so long (33 years one of them) they think they can do whatever they want. Its time for some fresh faces and new ideas!
mr m

Postby mr m on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

BigBoss wrote:What really bothers me is those who think they own the Town and put their signs all over public property and violate the Towns Zoning Laws by putting up signs that are too big. For the record, in Tewksbury no sign can be bigger than 6 sqft and needs to be placed at least 10ft off the roadway. Take a ride down 38, and honestly tell me if any of our incumbent legislators are playing by the rules. They have been in office so long (33 years one of them) they think they can do whatever they want. Its time for some fresh faces and new ideas!

If the sign is on a reg veh., it dosn't come under the town bylaw .
mr m

Postby Mrs C on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Mom74 wrote: The mother was not aware that you cannot place this stuff in a mailbox. Who's running this campaign? One of the carriers captured about 300 and returned them to the post office.. they ought to send them back postage due, but who has the manpower for that?

Chances are really good that this woman, who is probably a VOLUNTEER and not a "seasoned political operative," really didn't know you can't put non-mail (of any kind) in mailbox.

For the record, most people don't know that you can't put anything but US Postal Mail in a mailbox.

When I first started volunteer work a couple of years ago, I made that mistake. Although we were forgiven, getting in trouble with the federal government was a hard way to learn the lesson, so I'm willing to give this woman a break.
Mrs C

Postby Mom74 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Fair enough Mrs. C, but I disagree that most people don't know you can't put anything but US mail in a mailbox. And if she is a volunteer (you are probably right about that) it is incumbent upon the candidate to ensure that his volunteers know the rules. Where's the responsibility? Assuming it was an accident, which it more than likely was, the sloppiness tells me something about the candidate. That's all I'm saying. He may be a great guy, I don't know, I am limiting my comments to this narrow issue. And for sure, he's certainly not the only horse in this race with some questionable campaigning going on...
Mom74

Return to General Legislative Issues