Mario Marchese For State Representative

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Mario Marchese For State Representative

Postby dougsears on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

Calling the radio wasn't enough for Mario Marchese
By Joyce Tsai, jtsai@lowellsun.com
Updated: 09/21/2010 06:35:46 AM EDT

TEWKSBURY -- Mario Marchese got his first taste of political discourse as a regular caller on political talk-radio shows on WRKO.

"I just got tired of hearing people complain all the time," said Marchese, 38, the Republican nominee and challenger for the 19th Middlesex District state representative seat.

"I became known as the guy, 'Mario in Wilmington,' and I would offer my opinion," on issues ranging from improving the economy to reining in deficit spending, he said.

But he soon realized that "calling was not enough."

The Wilmington School Committee member is making the first challenge that state Rep. Jim Miceli, the 33-year-incumbent and Democrat, has seen to his seat, representing Tewksbury and Wilmington, in years.

Marchese has launched a spirited campaign, including weekly standouts in the early morning and evenings, carrying signs, meeting voters and getting his name out at routes 38 and 62 in Wilmington -- and Route 38 and Shawsheen Street in Tewksbury. He offers coffee chats with those interested in his candidacy at Donna's Donuts in Tewksbury on Sundays from 9-10 a.m.

With 15 years of experience in the construction and financial-services industries, Marchese now works part time as finance manager for Harvard Law School's program on International Financial Systems. That means he can spend significant time on his campaign -- as well as with his wife, Maria, and children, Phillip, 10, and Vittoria, 11.

It was through the advice of friends, Marchese said, that he decided to take the plunge into statewide politics. After winning a seat on the Wilmington School Committee in April 2009, he made the surprising announcement just four months later that he was launching a run as a Republican against Miceli.
He said the decision to run for office "had a lot to do with the timing," seeing all the challenges the state was facing, said Marchese, who holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Boston College.

His time on the Wilmington Conservation Commission (2004-07) put him on the forefront of development issues -- and made him realize there are at least "two sides to every issue," he said.

"We need new ideas and perspective" on Beacon Hill, he said, promising to limit his time in office to eight years, if elected.

"It's about jobs, it's about the economy," he said. "Giving jobs back to Massachusetts, that's my number-one, top priority."

That means creating incentives for businesses to come to Massachusetts, through property and corporate tax breaks, he said.

He also believes in investing in education, especially in buildings from the 1960s and 1950s that haven't been upgraded to today's standards.

"Children are our future and the best return on our investment," he said.

He also wants to offer tax breaks to help seniors and veterans deal with the rising cost of living. And he wants to help the environment by fostering eco-friendly developments.

But most of all, he wants voters to know, he's "not a politician."

Marchese's goal is to embody the kind of meaningful change in politics many voters are looking for these days, he said. He's not interested in "political glad-handing or going to the Statehouse to make friends," he said.

"There are things I am going to tell you that you don't want to hear and that you will want to hear, but no matter what, it'll be the truth," he said. "I just want to represent the people the best way possible. I want to do the people's work."

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_16132071?IA ... z10AqgRFSa
dougsears

Return to General Legislative Issues