Repeal sales tax

Discussions of general legislativetopics

Re: Repeal sales tax

Postby sean_czarniecki on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Yeah.....what he said!
sean_czarniecki

Postby Sgt. Shultz on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 am

I am peeved that a person can retire from the Turnpike or the MBTA at age 50 with a full pension and benefits

at MBTA after 23 years 3 months of service , you recieve 56.58% of your salary

not quite a full pension is it ?
Sgt. Shultz

Postby U8Coach on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 am

What is the % if you start at age 18 and work for 32 years?
U8Coach

Postby Sgt. Shultz on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 am

very unlikely to start at age 18
young people do not want to work crazy hours and work all the holidays
however pension max is 70% at 30yrs , after 30 yrs you are never going to recieve more than 70%

still not a full pension
Sgt. Shultz

Postby U8Coach on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I concede that it is not a full pension, however 70% does little to lessen the sting.

Is the 70% based upon the wage being earned in the final year of employment or the average of all the years of service?

Is overtime included in the calculation?

Does the retirement package include medical benefits?
U8Coach

Postby its5pmsomewherenow on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Is the MBTA pension in addition to Social Security, or in place of it? Do MBTA retirees collect their pension for the rest of their life, and then also pick up social security when they reach that age?

Same for our municipal and other state workers?

just curious, not negative.
its5pmsomewherenow

Postby tomasek1000 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:18 am

Typically in MA you cannot receive social security AND your state pension. I think you can receive multiple pensions however (like military and state).

I don't have an insight into municipal employees.

I have had several people speak to me who were career changers- became a teacher later in life. Now they are looking half a teacher pension and no SS.

I also believe that for some people if you work in MA after retiring (but you can work in other states) your pension is reduced by that amount.

Like everything government compensation related, it is extremely complicated and open to being taken advantage of.
Formerly Tomasek for Senator, now just Jamison Tomasek
tomasek2010@gmail.com
tomasek1000

Postby nana8again on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 am

I am also tired of the threats, last time I listened to the scare tactics! This time I refuse to, voting YES on all three questions! Anyone else?
nana8again

Postby bferrari on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:34 am

YES here too on all three questions. ESPECIALLY NUMBER 2 !!! REPEAL 40B !!!
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby swamper on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am

VOTING YES CUBED !!! 8)
swamper

Postby U8Coach on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58 am

I am getting spammed by the commercial that states the income from the sales tax is equal to half of the money the state spends on education.

It does not however mention how the income from the sales tax relates to the cost of welfare, the cost to run the MBTA, the cost to fund the Turnpike Authroity, the cost to provide free housing, food, education, and medical care to illegal immigrants, etc.

The truth is being distorted because the funds from the sales tax do not go to education. Local aid is given to the cities and towns and it is up to them to decide what to do with the funds. Likewise, if the sales tax is reduced, it is up to the legislature and the governer to decide where to make the cuts. Nowhere do the doomsyaers mention the infusion of money from an increase in local spending on big box items which are currently being purchase in NH. Their message is all about fear and not fact.

To me, the message is clear:

If we citizens of Mass who pay taxes and do 99% of the earning and purchasing in the state decide to cut the sales tax, our services will be in jeopardy while the freebies going to all of the leeches on the system will remain intact. Has there ever been a more compelling reason to push through a vote such as this? It is time for the responsible people of Massachusetts to stand up and put a stop to the entitlements which are draining our economy. Only when facing such an ultimatum will we see the emergence or a true reform movement. A movement which will have to be taken seriously or else the cities and towns will go bankrupt in droves and there won;t even be any money to bail out the most desperate cities like Lawrence.
U8Coach

Postby Little Willie on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:15 pm

If we vote in this decreased sales tax , are there any guarantees it will become law or is it up to the legislature?
Little Willie

Postby ELLE2 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 am

U8Coach wrote:I concede that it is not a full pension, however 70% does little to lessen the sting.

Is the 70% based upon the wage being earned in the final year of employment or the average of all the years of service?

Is overtime included in the calculation?

Does the retirement package include medical benefits?

You are being misled. It's 70% of your highest 3 years. They don't have to be consecutive and because there are union contracts they sometimes get years of retroactive raises in a single year resulting in this 70% being very close to their entire final salary. It includes over-time and it inlcudes MBTA paid for health benefits at a rate lower than active employees are paying. The pension also has a COLA provision. Oh and you can still collect social security. Only those working for the railroad can't, but they aren't getting nothing, they are getting the railroad benefit, which is higher than social security.

Listen, anyone getting this beneft is doing very well and anyone getting it is being disingenuos if they present this as anything less than spectacular. It's a fantastic benefit and there is nothing in the private sector like it.
ELLE2

Postby Sgt. Shultz on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:39 am

overtime is not included into MBTA retirements
Sgt. Shultz

Postby U8Coach on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 am

Thank you,

I feel justified enough after reading all of the info presented to remain peeved.

Yes x 3 for me.
U8Coach

Previous

Return to General Legislative Issues